Martin Austin Fido October 18, 1939- April 2, 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Martin Austin Fido October 18, 1939- April 2, 2019

It is reported that Martin passed away on April 2nd.

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
    It is reported that Martin passed away on April 2nd sadly missed

Martin Fido
    Born18 October 1939 (age 79)
    Penzance, United Kingdom
    DiedApril 2, 2019ResidenceCape Cod, Massachusetts, USOccupationUniversity lecturer, writer and broadcasterKnown forTrue crime writing and broadcastingNotable work
    Murder After Midnight,
    That is sad news.

Comment

Sad news and a heavy loss to Ripperology. My condolences to his family and friends.

Comment

Condolences to his family, RIP .......Pat

Comment

Later on in the day, I will set up a thread for Mr. Fido which will contain a list of his audio and written works.

When I met him for the first time (Philadelphia, at the Drexel Ripper Conference in 2011 ), he was signing in at the desk....so I pretended I was with University security and told him that he was in need of a full pat down for weapons. I had him for a second there....

Rest In Peace, Martin.

Thanks to Trevor Marriott for setting the thread up earlier.
          To Join JTR Forums :
          Contact [email protected]

Comment

If members would like to share any stories when in Martin's company and photos, by all means, please do.
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Very sad news indeed. My sincerest condolences to his family and loved ones. 💙
              from 1905...to 19.05..it was written in the stars

Comment

Here's Martin discussing the Ripper :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFTLEq3BZb8
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Sad news. Rest in peace Martin.

Comment

It was a couple of weeks ago when i first got the phone call that Martin had been involved in an accident and it was very bad. But as the days went on i thought there might be a chance he would be ok. Sadly it was not to be.

Martin was the biggest influence in my life when i first got interested in the Ripper story at the age of 12. Watching him showing people around the murder sites in the timeline documentary “Shadow of the Ripper” was fantastic and would plant the seed for what eventually became a reality for my own business.

He really was a leading lion in the Ripperology community and in a field where there are many fallouts and different groups, Martin was universally well liked. A rare thing to be these days.

When we managed to convince him to return to the UK in 2012 to begin his regular guest appearances at the official Jack the Ripper conferences, it was like a dream come true for me. They say you shouldnt meet your heroes, this was certainly not true with him. It was an honour to be his friend and i’ll fondly remember the long chats, numerous drinks and late night phone calls (all thanks to the UK/USA time zones).

In reflection its perhaps rather fitting that his last ever public appearance was back in the heart of London’s East End in 2018, to mark 130 years since the murders began. A place where he first gained an incredible audience of readers and researchers all those years ago.

Over the coming weeks myself and others will be working on doing something special to mark his life and acknowledge his contribution to the field.

He inspired a generation, and i suspect will continue to inspire others for many years to come.

RIP Martin , you were the best.

Comment

Honoring his memory with a 'Martin Fido Award'

A comment I made on other JTR related groups:

Who knows, maybe in the near future, we will have a 'Martin Fido Award', for example, to recognize annually the person who contributed the most to the improvement of Ripperology.

Comment

(Sir) Bob Anderson and Martin....in the mood.

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Forums member Tony Dennard & Martin

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Link to the section I set up for just some of Martin's works....

https://www.jtrforums.com/showthread...129#post368129

This link will take you to a list of 70 programs he narrated related to crime :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXP...b_KA/playlists
                            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Sad News!

Oh heck this is very sad indeed..Have enjoyed watching and listening to Martin's stuff on the ripper for many years..Such an intelligent and knowledgeable man...RIP MF!

Comment

Working...
                              X