X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul Kearney 1963-2014

A message I received this morning....

Hi Howard,

I'm not sure if I'm sending this to the appropriate person but hopefully you can help me.

Paul Kearney who uses the username Nemo on your JTR forum, passed away suddenly on Saturday 22nd February. All of Paul's close friends and family knew his interest in Ripperology, the forum friends and the meetings were something he greatly enjoyed, so only though it would be fitting to let you all know. I was hoping you can pass this message on through your forum, to make everyone aware.

During the last meeting Paul attended, which was November last year, I believe he gave a talk (or something like) which may have been recorded? I would like to get a copy of the footage, if at all possible. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes
    Jasmaine Kearney (Paul's Wife)
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

I'm honestly speechless. Paul was one of the nicest guys in the field and it was always a pleasure chatting to him over a pint at the conferences.

Rest in peace Paul and my deepest sympathies to Jasmaine and all of Paul's family and friends.
    Jon

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Comment

His last post was on Friday...

A great friend and great Ripperologist who didn't think twice about sharing his efforts with the next person.
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I can remember our first conversation, we spoke about Robert D'Onston Stephenson and his stance on him as a suspect was similar to mine. We instantly hit it off and shared emails as well as forum posts almost daily.

His knowledge of the esoteric was amazing, and his research and the way he presented it were both insightful but easy to understand. He once sent me a lovely message, way back in 2012, that I have kept because his words meant so much to me.

The community has lost a great Ripperologist. The world has lost an equally amazing man. I, like many of you, have lost a friend. R.I.P. Nemo.

Comment

I am stunned,

An intelligent, witty and friendly, such a friendly guy.

Like Jon, I enjoyed a pint with him last November at the conference. He shall be sorely missed from our community.

Please pass on my condolences to Jasmaine and all of Pauls family.

Neil

Comment

I can only echo Jon's comments - I'm completely shocked by this terrible news. Paul was a great guy not only in person, but on the boards where it's too easy to fall out with someone.

My thoughts are with his family.

RIP Paul.

Comment

Paul was one of the, if not the, foremost researchers into the story of William Grant Grainger.....
              There was a lot more to Paul than just that.
              Please share your stories on this thread.
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Trevor Bond just reminded me of Paul at the York Conference.

Evening meal, all of us in smart casual clothes, Paul turns up in his tux, looking the business. His face when he saw the rest of us scruffs was a picture.

He made up for it though, won every bloody raffle prize going that night, despite leaving his tickets back at his hotel room.

"Trust me Neil, I did have yellow 313"

He also went out of his way to speak to me at his, and my, first conference at Wolverhampton. Encouraging words.

Yeah....he will be terribly missed.

Neil

Comment

That's a good one, Neil....thanks for that !

Jasmaine asked if there was a way to get her hands on the presentation Paul made at the Conference.
                  Can we make that top priority to achieve that for her and the family ?
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I never met Paul face to face but from what I saw of him on the boards he was a well mannered, intelligent person and who's posts I would always take the time to read.

My thoughts go out to all his family and friends, he will surely be missed.

Tracy
                    If you're going to be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                      That's a good one, Neil....thanks for that !

Jasmaine asked if there was a way to get her hands on the presentation Paul made at the Conference.
                      Can we make that top priority to acheive that for her and the family ?
                      How, I don't think it was a presentation, more a showing of his CGI work on Millers court, which I believe he took with him back home.

I also do not recall any filming at York, just photography.

Ricky Cobb, Adam and Andrew Firth may know more than I on the matter. I shall have a dig around and see if Paul is in any of my Conf photos.

Neil

Comment

One of Andrews photos I think,

Paul, sitting behind Trevor Bond (who is next to Jon), next to Katja, on the open top bus tour at the York conference 2012.

Neil
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                          How, I don't think it was a presentation, more a showing of his CGI work on Millers court, which I believe he took with him back home.

I also do not recall any filming at York, just photography.

Ricky Cobb, Adam and Andrew Firth may know more than I on the matter. I shall have a dig around and see if Paul is in any of my Conf photos.

Neil

Neil is correct. It just goes to show how important it is to record events for posterity.

Adam

Comment

Such sad news. I just hope it was as painless for Paul as it was sudden, and my thoughts are with his family.

I'm cross with myself because I don't think I met Paul at the Wolverhampton conference (or at least if I did, I did not appreciate he was Nemo) and I was not able to go to York or the most recent London conference.

I always enjoyed Nemo's posts, which were informative and showed an open mind. I found his observations regarding the ripper correspondence of particular interest and I will miss his input enormously.

Love,

Caz
                            X
                            I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

This is such sad news. I never met Paul but shared many research interests with him, particularly William Grant Grainger. Paul would excitedly and generously email me with any new information he got on Grainger during his research at Cork workhouse and I was so looking forward to the article he was going to write..

I will miss him for sure. My thoughts go out to his family and friends.

Wasn't Paul filmed at the Cardiff job if I remember correctly when he stood in for someone at one of the round table talks?

Comment

Working...
                              X