Philip Sugden 1947-2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philip Sugden 1947-2014

It is with the greatest sadness that I have to report the sudden passing of Philip Sugden, at the age of 67 years, at the beginning of this month at home in Hull.

We are all aware of his stature in our field and it is especially painful for me as he was a valued friend who guided me through my initial faltering footsteps as an author back in 1994 - 1995. I met him only once but spoke with him many times on the telephone and I have a bundle of treasured letters that I received from him. He will be sorely missed and the field of crime historical study has lost a foremost contributor. It is hoped that his last project, worked on for many years, will be published.

I apologise for the delay in informing you all but I have held back at his brother's request whilst arrangements were being made.

This is terrible news, Stewart. My sympathy to Mr Sugden's family and friends. We are all indebted to his work.

Comment

Sad news indeed. I was just tidying some stuff and came across his book today.
      One of the best ripper books ever written.

Comment

sad news

Hello Stewart. Thanks for the message. Sad news indeed.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Very sad news, but an enduring legacy. Seldom has a single work had such an impact on a given field of study, but Mr Sugden's book certainly did.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
          (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Sad news.

Philip Sugden's book was and still is one of the best ever written on the subject.

My condolences to the family.

Rob

Comment

Sad news indeed.

This has turned out to be a pretty crappy day
              "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Comment

I refer to his work daily, and, no doubt shall continue to do so, that is its quality.

My sympathies to all.

Neil

Comment

Sad news indeed. A fine writer and researcher who will be missed. RIP Philip Sugden.

Obituary in the Daily Telegraph on-line, May 16, 2014.

Philip Sugden (1947-2014)
                  Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                  https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                  Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Terrible news, Stewart....
                    His book is,was,and always will be one of the cornerstones of our field.
                    To Join JTR Forums :
                    Contact [email protected]

Comment

This is very hard to take in. The field can easily be divided into pre and post Sugden periods with The Complete History ushering in a golden era in Ripperology. Very sad.

Wolf.

Comment

This is terrible news...but thanks for letting us know Stewart

Best wishes

Dave

Comment

My condolences to his family and friends. Fortunately, his wonderful book remains.

Comment

I'm so very sorry hear that. My deepest sympathy to his family and friends.

His work will always stand at the forefront of Ripper scholarship

Comment

Sad new indeed. His book is one of the reasons I went from interested in the case to fascinated with it.

Comment

Working...
                              X