Robert Linford : Rest In Peace To The Best Of Us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Linford : Rest In Peace To The Best Of Us

Received the awful news that Bob passed away from Covid-19 symptoms. Bob had COPD and had mentioned having cancer to me in an email a month ago, when he, typically, thought of someone other than himself and asked me to post an RIP to a Casebook member.

This is going to be a tough one to deal with. Like many here, I will miss him very, very much and will continue to think of him daily as I have been during these frightening times.

I don't know when Bob was born nor do I know the exact date of his passing.

Please leave a post with your fond memories of this wonderful example of a human being and Ripperologist.

Rest In Peace, my great friend.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
    Received the awful news that Bob passed away from Covid-19 symptoms. Bob had COPD and had mentioned having cancer to me in an email a month ago, when he, typically, thought of someone other than himself and asked me to post an RIP to a Casebook member.

This is going to be a tough one to deal with. Like many here, I will miss him very, very much and will continue to think of him daily as I have been during these frightening times.

I don't know when Bob was born nor do I know the exact date of his passing.

Please leave a post with your fond memories of this wonderful example of a human being and Ripperologist.

Rest In Peace, my great friend.
    That’s devastating news. A huge loss to Ripperology and to this site in particular. I never met Robert in person, but it feels like a personal loss too.

Rest In Peace, Robert.

Comment

Terrible news...it sounds a cliche, but a gentleman and a scholar...Rest in Peace Robert...

Comment

Gary:

I never met nor talked to him...our communication was confined to chat or here on the boards. Nicest guy I never met.

This is Bob from 2014 ( at left) with Nats Severn and Joe Chetcuti

....and Bob

Photos posted on Casebook back in 2014.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Thanks, How. Iíd seen a photo of him before but not those.

He had a bit of a look of this man, I thought. I know Rob was a fan.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v1hPsUomlbg

Comment

He made his last Forums post on June 10th, 2020.

Great wit, highly intelligent, and always desirous of harmony in the community.

Since knowledge of his passing reached us today, every December 8th will be henceforth, Robert Linford Day.
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Yes, Bob always thought of others. No telling how many he's helped with genealogical research. What I most admired about him was his uncanny wit.
              Best Wishes,
              Cris Malone

Comment

This is awful news. Not only a very knowledgeable guy but also a very nice guy who was generous with his time and advice when Iíve asked for it. Also a great sense of humour of course. Iíve often looked in on threads here following research being rolled out and as I've said on Casebook I always thought of Robert, Debra and Gary as a kind of Three Musketeers.

A sad loss and my condolences to his family, friends and those on here that knew him much better than I did.
                Regards

Michael🔎

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

He made his last Forums post on June 10th, 2020.

Great wit, highly intelligent, and always desirous of harmony in the community.

Since knowledge of his passing reached us today, every December 8th will be henceforth, Robert Linford Day.
                  Great idea. Iíll certainly be toasting him.
                  Regards

Michael🔎

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

Sad to hear

Oh man! What a great loss. I'm so sorry to hear this. Robert always reached out a hand when I got stuck in my research efforts. He will certainly be missed by me! I always enjoyed his sense of humor.

Rest in Peace my friend! And blessings of comfort to your family and friends.

Comment

Terrible news. One of the nicest people on forums. Like many people here I have never met him. He kept himself to himself and never seemed to have a cross word with anyone (maybe once) and that is quite a rare feat in this field which tells you a lot about him.

Not only will I miss reading his posts I will miss his humour which has graced here and Casebook.

A very sad day.

Comment

RIP Robert

I'm terribly saddened to read this. I'm finding it hard to think back to a time when Robert Linford wasn't around. A calm, steady oak in the midst of all of us blustering weeds. I don't care who you were or who you think you were, if Robert's views on a matter differed from yours, you stopped in your tracks to have a rethink because anything Robert offered was always measured, considered, and well-informed. The man was never combative, always friendly, and still generous with handing out his reality checks. I'm not sure I can express how rare and valuable that is. Ripperologsts are well known for our propensity to debate anything, but I'm certain no one would disagree with me when I say Robert Charles Linford was the best of us. My most heartfelt condolences to his family and those who knew him better than I did, such as Debs and How. RIP, buddy.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Very sad news, on the same day as John Lennon met his fate 40 years ago, terrible news. I'm sure the spirit's in the hereafter are being entertained with Robert's one-liners... Raise one last cuppa for our dear friend...
                          Regards, Jon S.
                          "
                          The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
                          " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
                          Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.

Comment

Several of us knew him for 20 years...he never wavered in those attributes Tom Wescott has mentioned.

I remember days from 15 years ago when Robert was the only member on the boards besides myself or Tim Mosley. He was there from the beginning.

If anyone, possibly Joe Chetcuti who actually met him, knows his family, perhaps they can pass along our condolences and that we're looking at supporting an award issued yearly here on the Forums ( CB folks are more than welcome to participate, either here or on their site)...The Linford.

Sound good ?
                            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Several of us knew him for 20 years...he never wavered in those attributes Tom Wescott has mentioned.

I remember days from 15 years ago when Robert was the only member on the boards besides myself or Tim Mosley. He was there from the beginning.

If anyone, possibly Joe Chetcuti who actually met him, knows his family, perhaps they can pass along our condolences and that we're looking at supporting an award issued yearly here on the Forums ( CB folks are more than welcome to participate, either here or on their site)...The Linford.

Sound good ?
                              Yes Howard. Iím sure Casebook would be on board with issuing a yearly research award in his honor jointly with the forums.
                              Itís a sad day in Ripperology. His absence will be felt for a very very long time.

JM

Comment

Working...
                              X