X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anna Morris
    replied
    It would be fine to use my comment.

The reason Robert and I communicated via the message system was because of his post here asking us to check out a Go-Fund-Me page for a baby in the UK with a rare tumor in his heart. The child needed surgery at Boston Children's Hospital, the only place in the world that can do the surgery. I don't think any of us know how this turned out. More than enough money was raised. 2020 is an awfully scary time for anyone to have surgery. Robert had no personal connection to the family with the sick baby but apparently he had seen the appeal and became involved.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Lovely! His gentleness and sense of humour shine out from the photo.

He said he enjoyed the burgers in Ireland and I asked whether they were O’Keefe’s (the famous Dublin knackers).

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Received a letter from Jane Linford today....I'll use what she shared in the article about Bob.

Here's a photo of Bob from 2017 at his nephew's wedding in Ireland.....Jane said if she can find any more pics, she'll send them.

Leave a comment:

• Debra Arif
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    And mine, How.

Mine too, How xx

Leave a comment:

• Chris G.
    replied
    Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
    I have asked Jane if she has a photo of Bob to share for the article and if there were any stories she'd like to share for the proposed article.

Adam Wood has told me that he's all for the idea of an article ( consisting of the messages people share here or on Casebook) for the next issue of Ripperologist Magazine.

More to come.
    No problem about using my words about Bob. Similarly bracing for the forecast snowstorm here in Newark, northern Delaware.

Cheers

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    A head's up about Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning.

Since my neck of the woods seems to have power outages when the frigging wind blows....Nina and I might have a power outage during the previously mentioned timespan due to the definite arrival of 12 to 20 inches of snow starting tomorrow afternoon.

If you make a comment on this thread and don't get a prompt reply, that's the reason.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    I have asked Jane if she has a photo of Bob to share for the article and if there were any stories she'd like to share for the proposed article.

Adam Wood has told me that he's all for the idea of an article ( consisting of the messages people share here or on Casebook) for the next issue of Ripperologist Magazine.

More to come.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Here's the latest from Jane Linford :

Dear Howard,

Thank you for your kind words. I think that the magazine would be a wonderful idea. Reading all of the messages are giving us great comfort, so that would be such a beautiful thing to do. Would we be able to get a copy do you think?

We are so happy that he had the Ripperologist community. I know he made some genuine and dear friendships there.

I am not sure how these things work with regards to sending flowers, but the name of the Funeral Directors is Gilderson & Sons Funeral Directors, 90/92 Ley Street, Ilford, Essex, IG1 4BX.

I assume the flowers would have to be sent the morning of the 29th, but here is the e-mail address we have been communicating with if you would like to check. We have been talking with Ken.

gilderson.ilford@dignityfunerals.co.uk

As for the live streaming, I will of course send you a link if this is something you would like. It would be 12:45pm on December 29th, UK time. I am not sure what time that would make it where you are, but I believe we are sent a link we can e-mail out to people to click and join so they can be there to pay their respects, albeit virtually.

We would love anyone who would like to join to do so, as we know how much like a family his online friends were. They were very important to him.

I note you mentioned his last post on one of the forums was in June. Please don't think he was ill for all this time. He was in end stage COPD so was frail and did spend a lot of time in bed, but was able to carry on his research work and enjoy his time at the computer as he always did. It wasn't until November that he went into hospital for pneumonia. He came out for 9 days before having to go back in and ultimately tested positive for Covid. He put up an incredible fight and managed for 4 days to battle against Covid with the assistance of a bi-pap machine, even requesting it on the highest setting even though there was the risk it could cause further lung damage. Unfortunately, eventually there was nothing else they could do for him and so gave him morphine, sedatives and oxygen and he eventually slipped away peacefully and with no pain in the early hours of day 6. He always was very determined and had so much fight left in him, even though he was so frail.

We are so thankful for how kind everyone is being, and once again it really is giving us so much comfort. He was a well loved and respected man and will be dearly missed by so many of us.

All the best,

Kindest Regards,

Jane & Family.
    ************************************************** ************************************************** *******

Leave a comment:

• Jon Simons
    replied
    Oh no, not Robert. Such sad news.

Leave a comment:

• Caroline Brown
    replied
    Ditto from me, Howie.

Love,

Caz
    X

PS I tried to add a hug, but the smilies are snoozing right now...

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    And mine, How.

Leave a comment:

• Dave O
    replied
    Feel free to use mine if you want.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Chetcuti
    replied
    That's fine with me, Howard.

All the condolences have been written well and have come from the heart.

Leave a comment:

• Cogidubnus
    replied
    Sounds like a great idea to me...

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Folks:

Would anyone object if I organized our condolences and turned them into a page for the next issue of Ripperologist Magazine ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X