X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
    I've sent Jane Linford, Bob's sister, an email letting her know how we felt about Bob and for information concerning his December 29th funeral.

I believe Jane has planned to have his funeral 'streamed'. Any further information will be posted as it reaches me.

I have asked her about the funeral location, as four members ( Gary included) have planned on sending flowers.

More to follow folks.
    Thanks, How.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    I've sent Jane Linford, Bob's sister, an email letting her know how we felt about Bob and for information concerning his December 29th funeral.

I believe Jane has planned to have his funeral 'streamed'. Any further information will be posted as it reaches me.

I have asked her about the funeral location, as four members ( Gary included) have planned on sending flowers.

More to follow folks.

Leave a comment:

• Caroline Brown
    replied
    I was struggling to find words after learning the sad news, but having only just got back to the forums and read all these messages I realise it's all been said, and more articulately than I could manage.

Quite simply, there's never been anyone quite like Robert, and his contribution to this field over the years has been unique and will keep his memory alive.

I was already missing his clever way with words, not least his brilliantly funny caption contest entries, which never failed to brighten a dull day. He used to win so often that he stopped entering to give others a chance.

Rest in peace, Robert. Let me know if they don't make the tea up there just how you like it and I'll have words.

Love,

Caz
    XX

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
    Thank you, Joe.
    I'll contact Jane this afternoon.....
    If they are accepting flowers, I’ll be happy to send some on behalf of Robert’s many Forums and Casebook friends.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Thank you, Joe.
    I'll contact Jane this afternoon.....

Leave a comment:

• Joe Chetcuti
    replied
    I have exchanged emails with Robert's sister, Jane. She told me that the wonderful words and sentiments from Robert's Ripperologist family has brought much comfort to her and her family.

She thanks everyone for their kind words. Robert's funeral is planned for Dec 29th at 12:45pm.

Jane is exploring the possibility of having the ceremony on live-stream.

Leave a comment:

• Adam Went
    replied
    I'm very saddened and sorry to hear about this. Robert and I had communicated from time to time away from the forums over the years as well as on it, and he was always wonderful to chat to and very encouraging of a younger researcher like myself at the time. The Ripperology world is much the poorer for his passing. Rest in peace, and condolences to his family.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Leave a comment:

• Dave O
    replied
    It's difficult to know what to say just now. I'm still taking it in. With John, I worked with Robert for a long time, more sporadically in recent times. I never met him or knew what his voice sounded like. But the three of us enjoyed a massive and wonderful correspondence.

These last couple of days, I've been looking through some of it. Visiting with him, I suppose. Like his posts here, his emails are full of helpfulness, insight, warmth, and his terrific humor, which was sometimes too intelligent and English for me to grasp.

He elevated our research and conversation, always finding many of the pieces of our jigsaw puzzle that we were working on. He was a friend.

More than that though, I know that he was devoted to his family. What they must be going through right now.

My condolences to them. And to all of you here. It's a profound loss, a hard loss.

David O'Flaherty

Leave a comment:

• Anna Morris
    replied
    I noted his absence and worried because I knew he was ill. He and I had had a little conversation through messaging. He was extremely kind, caring and funny. He could always turn any comment into something hilarious.

I am so sorry he is gone.

R.I.P. Robert.

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    Like most others here, I only knew him through his posts, but they showed someone who was funny, sensible, kind, and knowledgeable - endearing traits that will make him greatly missed, not just on this site, but to everyone who knew him in the real world.

Thanks for the memories, Bob.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    I only just found out this dreadful news. I always enjoyed Robert's posts for his wit, erudition and intelligence, and I regret never having met him in person as I'm sure he'd have been great company. We've lost a good 'un, that's for sure, and I shall miss him terribly.

Leave a comment:

• Nina Brown
    replied
    One of nicest men that I ever had the honor to know.

Rest in peace my friend, I will miss you.

Leave a comment:

• Sean Crundall
    replied
    I have a tremendous amount of respect for Robert. He was an incredibly astute man, who had a real gift for research. He also had an uncanny knack of getting to the root of the many mysteries that surround this case. All his responses were peppered with his usual and unmistakable wit. He always got me thinking!

Thanks, Robert.

Leave a comment:

• R. J. Palmer
    replied
    Terrible news.

Robert helped me out more than once. He was a gifted researcher and a very clever genealogist, but, more importantly, he was a nice person with a great sense of humor.

Leave a comment:

• Karsten Giese
    replied
    Im so sorry to hear this! Rest In Peace.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X