130 Years Today : The Attack On Emma Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 130 Years Today : The Attack On Emma Smith

In the early hours of the morning on the 3rd April 1888, prostitute Emma Smith was viciously attacked at the Wentworth Street junction of Osborn Street.

RIP Emma......
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

RIP Emma. What a terrible end and we haven't forgotten.
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Emma Smith and Martha Tabram as Ripper victims

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
      RIP Emma. What a terrible end and we haven't forgotten.
      Rest in peace, Emma. That was no way to die. We will remember you at #RipperCon* in Baltimore this weekend!

In fact, the murders of Emma Smith and Martha Tabram will be a large part of my talk on "The Legend of Jack the Ripper" which will open the conference at 9:00 am on Saturday -- I will be giving a timeline of the murders both non-canonical and canonical, especially for the benefit of newcomers to the field or friends who are accompanying people already well versed in the crimes -- the "plus ones."

To be truthful, I don't think either Emma or Martha were victims of our "Jackie."

I am frankly mystified why people so readily accept Martha Tabram's murder as having been committed by the same man who murdered Nichols, Chapman, Stride, Eddowes, and Kelly when, consider this, the sloppy and careless murder of Tabram was followed just three weeks later by that of Mary Ann "Polly" Nichols, definitely a Ripper murder -- with the trademarks of the Ripper, including the ripping open of the abdomen.

No, Nichols' murder showed a fully formed serial killer quite unlike the murderer in the Tabram crime. Absolutely the same truth holds for Emma Smith, apparently attacked by a gang, versus the lone serial killer in the five canonical Ripper crimes.

And this is what it comes down to: A loner, "a killer of strangers," as the cast sing in Frogg Moody and David Taylor's brilliant musical, "Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper." And of course being a lone killer with a detailed, intimate knowledge of escape routes, implying he was probably a local, made it possible for him to escape time and time again.

Best regards

Chris

* See you at #RipperCon?

* Places still available but you must be quick because locals and students are snapping up the places!

* Lastly, here's a treat for you -- the flyer from the first U.S. Ripper Conference held at the Park Ridge Marriott, April 2000.

Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
      https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
      Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G. View Post
        ...I am frankly mystified why people so readily accept Martha Tabram's murder as having been committed by the same man who murdered Nichols, Chapman, Stride, Eddowes, and Kelly when, consider this, the sloppy and careless murder of Tabram was followed just three weeks later by that of Mary Ann "Polly" Nichols, definitely a Ripper murder -- with the trademarks of the Ripper, including the ripping open of the abdomen...
        I'm not. What mystifies me is that people can look at this unique series of murders that occurred in a microcosm of a great city against a specific case of women and pick it apart like vultures on a carcass to where in their over analytical minds there is little left to connect because they have in that same mind how Jack the Ripper should be.
        Best Wishes,
        Cris Malone

Comment

Neither am I, Cris.

Its very easy to understand why Tabram isn't rejected as a Ripper victim today.
          The killer had to start somewhere. Too many similarities such as position of body, focus on genitalia, 'profession' of woman, time of day, etc....

Tabram's murder was considered one of the worst in London history at the time....still is.

She isn't 'readily accepted' as a Ripper victim. But to a good number of us, there are quite a few similarities to the subsequent murders to simply and readily dismiss out of hand.

Anyway......this is a Emma Smith tribute thread. RIP should suffice.
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
            Neither am I, Cris.

Its very easy to understand why Tabram isn't rejected as a Ripper victim today.
            The killer had to start somewhere. Too many similarities such as position of body, focus on genitalia, 'profession' of woman, time of day, etc....

Tabram's murder was considered one of the worst in London history at the time....still is.

She isn't 'readily accepted' as a Ripper victim. But to a good number of us, there are quite a few similarities to the subsequent murders to simply and readily dismiss out of hand.

Anyway......this is a Emma Smith tribute thread. RIP should suffice.
            Howie and Cris:

Mmmm but what the lack of the signature deep neck wound that was missing in the Tabram case? No, this guy came to Whitechapel as a fully formed killer. I don't believe he was "learning on the job."

Cris, you remarked, "What mystifies me is that people can look at this unique series of murders that occurred in a microcosm of a great city against a specific case of women and pick it apart like vultures on a carcass to where in their over analytical minds there is little left to connect because they have in that same mind how Jack the Ripper should be." [Emphasis added]

I agree with you, Cris, and as I will tell people at #RipperCon on Saturday, "If you think you know the identity of Jack the Ripper, you don't."

Howard, you ended your post with "Anyway......this is a Emma Smith tribute thread. RIP should suffice."

Really??? Isn't this a discussion board, Howard? Don't we discuss the circumstances of what happened to the victims in order to learn?
            Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
            https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
            Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Howard, you ended your post with "Anyway......this is a Emma Smith tribute thread. RIP should suffice."

Really??? Isn't this a discussion board, Howard? Don't we discuss the circumstances of what happened to the victims in order to learn ?

Yes it is a discussion board....and there are ample spaces on the board to discuss whether Smith or Tabram were Rip victims. It just seems more appropriate to do so in those areas than here.
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

R.I.P Emma......another tragedy.
                Regards

MichaelšŸ”Ž

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

Hear hear, Michael. Poor Emma must have suffered more than most, yet her murder so often gets sidelined.

I suspect the ripper may have been behind the horrendous attack on her, and used it to gain confidence and learn his trade. But that's for another time and another place.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline Brown View Post
                    Hear hear, Michael. Poor Emma must have suffered more than most, yet her murder so often gets sidelined.

I suspect the ripper may have been behind the horrendous attack on her, and used it to gain confidence and learn his trade. But that's for another time and another place.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    Emma's and Mary Austin's deaths have always appalled me more than the others. They suffered for hours before death took them.

Comment

My medical knowledge is zero but I wonder what standard of treatment she received? Did her injuries make her completely unsavable at that period in history?
                      Regards

MichaelšŸ”Ž

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Banks View Post
                        My medical knowledge is zero but I wonder what standard of treatment she received? Did her injuries make her completely unsavable at that period in history?
                        Not savable without antibiotics. I am sure septicemia had set in.
                        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Working...
                        X