To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Toronto Daily Mail
    May 22, 1888

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Thanks for that, How.

I had heard that the East End kids sent to Canada as ‘Home Children’ did not always receive a warm welcome and were often used as little more than slave labour.

Comment

Gary

America is usually the country which gets criticized for its anti-immigration (Particularly against Asians) policies in the 19th and early 20th centuries , but Canada was no different

https://pier21.ca/research/immigrati...nd-legislation
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
          Gary

America is usually the country which gets criticized for its anti-immigration (Particularly against Asians) policies in the 19th and early 20th centuries , but Canada was no different

https://pier21.ca/research/immigrati...nd-legislation
          How,

Some of my gg uncles and aunts were shipped off to Canada in the late 1880s/early 1890s from Poplar. Their father had been murdered in 1885, and their mother died in 1889. I have a photo of one of them, a woman in her 50s who still looked like a lost little girl. It’s heartbreaking enough to know she had lost both her parents, was separated from her siblings and sent to the other side of the world as a small child. The thought that she may have been mistreated in Canada is beyond tragic

Ironically, her older sister who stayed in London married a docker who unloaded grain ships from Canada.

Comment

Children leaving their homelands at an early age in the LVP well into the 20th was done far more than I think people realize. There were some lone children on the boat that brought my granny over.
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
              Children leaving their homelands at an early age in the LVP well into the 20th was done far more than I think people realize. There were some lone children on the boat that brought my granny over.
              Our youngest grandchild is 16, and we get panicky if she’s more than half an hour later than agreed coming home from our town centre.

A lot of kids sent from the East End to Canada went via Barnado’s. In recent years the Canadians have gone to great lengths to acknowledge the plight of the ‘Home Children’. They weren’t wanted here and, other than as cheap labour, they weren’t wanted in Canada. The poor little darlings.

Comment

Home Children

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gNsdzjlPukc

Comment

What a welcome

These “waifs and strays” are tainted and corrupt with moral slime and filth inherited from parents and surroundings of the most foul and disgusting character, and which all the washing and clean clothes that Dr Barnado may bestow can not possibly remove. There is no power whatever that can cleanse the lepers so as to fit them to become desirable citizens of Canada.

The Canadian April 17, 1891.

Comment

Working...
                  X