• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller's Court ( 1891 )

Illustrated London News
    January 10, 1891
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

What the heck? It looks like they are doing some kind of fabric work or weaving? Some of the utensils resemble lace making items but I don't see lace being made. I kind of take the cat looking at the basket of implements as a clue that the cat would like to play with threads.

Or maybe the artist imagined what it might have been like when the silk weavers and fly fringe creators lived in the premises?
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

What the objects look like Anna is carpet beaters, maybe called different things in different parts of the UK.

I thought I'd look that up and to my surprise we can see them...
      https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...w=1183&bih=908
      Regards, Jon S.
      "
      The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
      " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
      Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicker Man View Post
        What the objects look like Anna is carpet beaters

I thought that, too.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
        (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Thanks, Jon and Sam! I see it now. They are MAKING carpet beaters. Maybe from wicker or wire. Interesting.

Comment

\
            The carpet beaters I remember were, by necessity, larger and studier than those objects, unless there was some artistic poetic licence.
            Thanks for your time,
            dusty miller

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Miller View Post
              \
              The carpet beaters I remember were, by necessity, larger and studier than those objects, unless there was some artistic poetic licence.
              This could be a study in itself. Carpet beaters were used here too and the things in the picture look about right for what I have seen. I would suppose bigger, stronger ones would have been used for heavier carpets.

Consider that many fabrics in those days could not be washed and dry cleaning, I think, was not yet invented. I would think small beaters could have been used on velvet curtains or clothing made of heavy fabric.

Another thing which could be pictured is kitchen implements. There were some items used for beating and stirring, etc. which resembled those things and were about that size.

I am really guessing part of this. I have seen carpet beaters in use and they were not very large. I watch cooking videos about old time recipes and have seen kitchen implements that look similar to what is in the picture. I think there could be a number of uses for whatever is in the picture, depending on the materials used.

Comment

They came in a variety of sizes.

Regards, Jon S.
                "
                The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
                " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
                Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicker Man View Post
                  They came in a variety of sizes.

Carpet beaters! They look like the type of beaters that were wielded in Sister Immaculata's class!!!
                  Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                  https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                  Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Working...
                  X