Comment

• Originally posted by Edward Stow View Post
      And she lived at Splidts Street
      She did indeed.

Comment

• All roads lead to Lechmere

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post

So perhaps the ‘City’ sewers were in the City of London. Did the City maintain its own sewers?
          Hi Gary.

The Board of Works would have control of the sewer system. The Board of Works was broken up into parishes or vestries. i.e City of London, Whitechapel, Mile End, etc.

Under the Metropolis Management Act of 1855 the Board of Works was in charge of the main drainage of London and the construction of the Victoria, Chelsea and Albert Embankments. It was also in charge of maintaining the drainage systems and bridges over the Thames, the embankments, the testing of gas and gas meters and the Fire Brigade.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post

Hi Gary.

The Board of Works would have control of the sewer system. The Board of Works was broken up into parishes or vestries. i.e City of London, Whitechapel, Mile End, etc.

Under the Metropolis Management Act of 1855 the Board of Works was in charge of the main drainage of London and the construction of the Victoria, Chelsea and Albert Embankments. It was also in charge of maintaining the drainage systems and bridges over the Thames, the embankments, the testing of gas and gas meters and the Fire Brigade.
            Thanks, Jerry. I had a feeling you might know.

Comment

Working...
            X