Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    Hi Debs,

Presumably he was the same GH who was cabinet glass fitter living in Jersey Street in 1891? I agree entirely with your point about the mixing of the congregation. Just as there must have been some interesting groupings in the pews of St M&M's.

I don't know if you spotted that I recently discovered a Mealey marriage in the East End which looks like it was that of MAA's parents. (Not sure if you or Rob or anyone else had already found it?).

Gary
    Yes it's the same GH, Gary, I added the other addresses just in case you could tell me if those addresses were a bit nearer or further away.
    Yes. You're right about St M&M's too- John McCarthy maybe rubbing shoulders with the Morgensterns for one!

Sorry, I missed that posting about MAA's parents but I went back and looked for it. I certainly haven't seen it before.Good find that she was local.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
      Yes it's the same GH, Gary, I added the other addresses just in case you could tell me if those addresses were a bit nearer or further away.
      Yes. You're right about St M&M's too- John McCarthy maybe rubbing shoulders with the Morgensterns for one!

Sorry, I missed that posting about MAA's parents but I went back and looked for it. I certainly haven't seen it before.Good find that she was local.
      Cudworth and Coventry Streets were somewhat closer to the church than Jersey Street, they were just the other side of Brady Street. The Tomkins boys lived in Coventry Street (Henry in 1888 and Thomas in 1891). HB had premises there under a railway arch.

I'm not sure how local MAA was. Her parents were married in Stepney and she (it seems likely) was working in a pub in Shoreditch/Hoxton in 1891.

Comment

Cudworth and Coventry Streets were somewhat closer to the church than Jersey Street, they were just the other side of Brady Street. The Tomkins boys lived in Coventry Street (Henry in 1888 and Thomas in 1891). HB had premises there under a railway arch.

I'm not sure how local MAA was. Her parents were married in Stepney and she (it seems likely) was working in a pub in Shoreditch/Hoxton in 1891.
        Good to know. Ta.

Comment

Some familiar names

East London Observer 12 August 1905

St Anne's Underwood Street Spitalfields, Garden Fete

The following familiar names subscribed a guinea each to the 'trays'

Click image for larger version

Name:	underwood rd.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	558581

Comment

East London Observer 12 August 1905

St Anne's Underwood Street Spitalfields, Garden Fete

The following familiar names subscribed a guinea each to the 'trays'

[ATTACH]18406[/ATTACH]
            A great find, Debs! Coincidentally I have been searching Freemasonry records recently to see whether any of the Lodging House Keepers were masons. The only one I have found so far is (George?) Wildermuth.

I did find William Hunnable in the Liberty of Havering Lodge (Romford), though. He was one of the executors of Margaret Sullivan's will. In the same lodge was a man named Arthur Hesford who was the Master of the Romford Workhouse and the first owner of the house I now live in (when I'm not in Dorset). He bought the land on which it was built from Hunnable's company.

Obviously the Crossingham's were still active in Spitalfields even after the move to Romford.

Edit: I found a few Oylers, too.

Comment

Excellent find Debs ! Thank you....
              XXXXX
              To Join JTR Forums :
              Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

A great find, Debs! Coincidentally I have been searching Freemasonry records recently to see whether any of the Lodging House Keepers were masons. The only one I have found so far is (George?) Wildermuth.

I did find William Hunnable in the Liberty of Havering Lodge (Romford), though. He was one of the executors of Margaret Sullivan's will. In the same lodge was a man named Arthur Hesford who was the Master of the Romford Workhouse and the first owner of the house I now live in (when I'm not in Dorset). He bought the land on which it was built from Hunnable's company.

Obviously the Crossingham's were still active in Spitalfields even after the move to Romford.

Edit: I found a few Oylers, too.
                Thanks, Gary. I found the snip by accident; I was reading through press reports about Jack McCarthy Junior of 27 Dorset St being a boxing promoter in partnership with a man named Harry Lee in the 1890's and beyond.

Mrs Wildermuth's name also came up in the convict licence of a woman named Emily Brennan. She lived at George Yard Whitechapel when she was convicted alongside Annie Cohen in the mid 80's and she was in regular letter contact with Mrs Wildermuth.
                I think her husband is George, yes.

Interesting about your house. What a small world!

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                  Excellent find Debs ! Thank you....
                  XXXXX
                  Thanks, How.
                  Like Gary mentioned, it shows the Crossingham's were still involved in the community at Spitalfields, the Roman Catholic church community at Spitalfields at least, which was something I mentioned in the first post regarding a George Hutchinson who attended that same RC church but lived further afield.

Comment

Thanks, Gary. I found the snip by accident; I was reading through press reports about Jack McCarthy Junior of 27 Dorset St being a boxing promoter in partnership with a man named Harry Lee in the 1890's and beyond.

Mrs Wildermuth's name also came up in the convict licence of a woman named Emily Brennan. She lived at George Yard Whitechapel when she was convicted alongside Annie Cohen in the mid 80's and she was in regular letter contact with Mrs Wildermuth.
                    I think her husband is George, yes.

Interesting about your house. What a small world!
                    Debs,

Have you found any mention of Black Jack Stevens?

Gary

Comment

Debs,

Have you found any mention of Black Jack Stevens?

Gary
                      Not that I recall, Gary.

Comment

I hope you don't mind me posting this here, Debs. It has nothing to do with the church, but it's another example of John McCarthy's charitable work.

From the East London Observer 30th Jan, 1886:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	558582

Comment

No problem, Gary.

Comment

Unrelated to the thread, but thanks for the East London Observer articles, Debs and Gary.
                            I'll start a thread tomorrow or Thursday with their articles.
                            To Join JTR Forums :
                            Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Yes Debs, thank you for sharing what you have found so far.

St Anne's seen in the distance

Comment

Thanks, Roy. Where is that seen from? I'm guessing near the City Farm going by the escaped Shetland Pony?!

Comment

Working...
                                X