Statistically Speaking...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tania Edwards View Post
    In general war involves men killing other men. How does this relate to JtR case.
    It's not so much a question of men carrying over their war experiences into civilian life, as one of paving the way for the abnormal psychological development of their offspring. The traumatisation and/or brutalisation of fathers leading to toxic marital relationships, dysfunctional families and disturbed children.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
    (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
      It's not so much a question of men carrying over their war experiences into civilian life, as one of paving the way for the abnormal psychological development of their offspring. The traumatisation and/or brutalisation of fathers leading to toxic marital relationships, dysfunctional families and disturbed children.
      Plus with dysfunction there is likely to be higher alcohol consumption and all the negatives that can follow.
      The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Is there evidence that offspring of military personnel, especially those whose father saw combat, experience a higher degree of a disfunctional family that otherwise? I really can't see the relevance. I was raised by the WWll generation. Not only my father, but many of my friends' fathers had seen combat and the families were much more "functional" than what I see today.
        Best Wishes,
        Cris Malone

Comment

Hello Cris
          Originally posted by Cris Malone View Post
          Is there evidence that offspring of military personnel, especially those whose father saw combat, experience a higher degree of a disfunctional family that otherwise.
          There is plenty of evidence that military personnel can go off the rails if they're traumatised during their term of service, and some of these have children.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
          (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Found it! Here's my histogram of London murders (of all kinds, not just knife-based) from 1884 to 1906:

[ATTACH]19113[/ATTACH]

It's a section of a bigger graph that went from 1871-1911, but I appear to have mislaid that one; it was a long time ago!

This is very interesting. Does the source data breakdown into males/ females/age groups/cause of death?

t

Comment

Yes, I see your point. I think I initially misinterpreted as JtR being in the military. This is of course possible but I think unlikely. War would provide a perfect setting for someone with similar inclinations to Jack.

The father aspect is intriguing though. I understand that military personnel experience unusual circumstances and have unique stressors. All of the issues (toxic marriage, dysfunctional families, disturbed children, increased substance usage etc) mentioned can and do occur without the father having been in the military or whether he is present or absent in the family.

t

Comment

This is very interesting. Does the source data breakdown into males/ females/age groups/cause of death?
                Thanks! I produced that graph many moons ago and, whilst it was based on official sources, I can't trace my copies. From what I recall, the data didn't go down to such levels of granularity. I'll keep looking, though.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

All of the issues (toxic marriage, dysfunctional families, disturbed children, increased substance usage etc) mentioned can and do occur without the father having been in the military or whether he is present or absent in the family.
                  Oh, absolutely. I wouldn't suggest that JTR was necessarily the son of a soldier or was a one himself, but periodic waves/spikes of killings might be "assisted" by having more brutalised individuals at large in the civilian population due to recent wars, whether the trauma was experienced first-hand by adult males or visited on their sons.
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                  (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Yes, I see your point. I think I initially misinterpreted as JtR being in the military. This is of course possible but I think unlikely. War would provide a perfect setting for someone with similar inclinations to Jack.

The suspect Carl Feigenbaum had a military background, he was in the Prussian army, and as such I would suggest he would have learnt how to kill swiftly, and silent using a long bladed knife, as was proven with the murder he committed in New York.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Feigenbaum's murder of the woman in NYC was very sloppy, unstealthlike, and planned out like a five-year old would.

I would suggest his sorry-ass cleaned latrines and did menial work while in service.

Anyone in doubt should read Wolf Vanderlinden's piece written 11 or 12 years ago in Ripper Notes.

Comment

Oh, absolutely. I wouldn't suggest that JTR was necessarily the son of a soldier or was a one himself, but periodic waves/spikes of killings might be "assisted" by having more brutalised individuals at large in the civilian population due to recent wars, whether the trauma was experienced first-hand by adult males or visited on their sons.
                        Do you have statistical evidence of this or is this an assumption?
                        Best Wishes,
                        Cris Malone

Comment

Originally posted by Cris Malone View Post
                          Do you have statistical evidence of this or is this an assumption?
                          It is an assumption, but one grounded in logic. If war traumatises a proportion of those who experience it, and they survive and return to civvy street with psychological problems, then we can expect more ex-military people with psychological problems to enter the population after a war. We might also expect a greater number to fall under this category in the case of larger and/or longer conflicts, for purely numeric reasons.

I once had a live-in landlord, an ex-soldier undergoing psychiatric treatment because he saw his mates killed in Northern Ireland. He attacked me with a hammer the day after I made the "mistake" of bringing an Irish girlfriend home for a drink.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                          (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                            Feigenbaum's murder of the woman in NYC was very sloppy, unstealthlike, and planned out like a five-year old would.

And how do you know the killer of the Whitechapel women were the subject of a stealthlike approach ?

I would suggest his sorry-ass cleaned latrines and did menial work while in service.

Anyone in doubt should read Wolf Vanderlinden's piece written 11 or 12 years ago in Ripper Notes.

Thats the trouble with Ripperolgy far to many people want to keep saying personal opinions like "I would suggest" "What if`s" "Maybe" " I think" "Perhaps" or maybe people who simply dont know should just keep quiet !

People should read my chapter on Feigenbaum, which can be found in my book "Jack the Ripper-The real truth" and then make their judgments. I do not, and have never said that Feigenbaum was Jack the Ripper I have presented strong circumstantial evidence, which makes him a likely suspect for one. or more of the WM. Which is more evidence than there is to be found with many of the so called prime suspects.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
                              Thats the trouble with Ripperolgy far to many people want to keep saying personal opinions like "I would suggest" "What if`s" "Maybe" " I think" "Perhaps" or maybe people who simply dont know should just keep quiet !

People should read my chapter on Feigenbaum, which can be found in my book "Jack the Ripper-The real truth"

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
                              Trevor,

Is there such a thing as ‘ The unreal truth’?

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                                Trevor,

Is there such a thing as ‘ The unreal truth’?

Gary

Yes, it can be seen on a daily basis in Ripper both ripper forums ! spouted by the same handful of resident researchers who really belive in something that is plainly untrue, and no matter what is presented sadly that status quo is never going to change.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X