No announcement yet.

Murder, Mutilation & Mangling In Millwall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s rather disturbing, RJ. There were two unidentified infants, aged 0, whose deaths were registered in Poplar in the September Q of 1888.

In my family tree there is an illegitimate female child who was born in Poplar workhouse in May 1888. The family home at the time was in Millwall. There is a record of the child being baptised in the workhouse chapel on 25th May, 1888 - and nothing after that.

Have you found a report that gives an age for the child found in the Dock?

Comment

Thanks for the map, Jerry. Do you know it’s date?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
        Thanks for the map, Jerry. Do you know it’s date?
        1908, Gary.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post

1908, Gary.
          Thanks, Jerry.

Comment

I’ve sent off for the two death certs. I hope one of the children wasn’t estimated to have been 3/4 months old.

The missing child’s name was May - the month of her birth. Her mother was unmarried and aged 20. She had witnessed her father being killed in Millwall 3 years previously and shortly afterwards went into service in a grand house, ‘Right out in the countryside - in a place called Willesden.’ :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
              Have you found a report that gives an age for the child found in the Dock?
              If any of the inquests made the papers, I haven't found them. There's a lot about Baxter holding an inquest in Millwall concerning two men killed in an industrial accident, but that's it.

A slightly more detailed report states that the child abandoned in Baker's Row died Monday 20 August 1888.

Comment

Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post

If any of the inquests made the papers, I haven't found them. There's a lot about Baxter holding an inquest in Millwall concerning two men killed in an industrial accident, but that's it.

A slightly more detailed report states that the child abandoned in Baker's Row died Monday 20 August 1888.
                Thanks, RJ. I found a few reports but there was little detail about the victim.

Comment

I think this is the child mentioned as found in Baker's Row alive and is the only infant admitted to the Whitechapel Infirmary around 4 August 1888. This newborn was in fact male.

Admitted Saturday 4 August 1888 Unknown male child brought in by PC 54H found in Wentworth St, newly born, brought in 12.10pm discharged 18 August 1888 'dead'

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                    I think this is the child mentioned as found in Baker's Row alive and is the only infant admitted to the Whitechapel Infirmary around 4 August 1888. This newborn was in fact male.

Admitted Saturday 4 August 1888 Unknown male child brought in by PC 54H found in Wentworth St, newly born, brought in 12.10pm discharged 18 August 1888 'dead'

The August 4th date matches the initial discovery, but so much for newspaper accuracy on the other points: wrong sex, wrong date of death, possibly the wrong street.

What I found unusually disturbing is the claim that the child was abandoned by a couple. Two people acting together suggests something other than desperate, temporary insanity.

Comment

I have a suspect with connections to the Isle of Dogs and came across this sometime back, with great photographs of Millwall, etc.

The Oldest Photos of the Isle of Dogs (a Selection) | Isle of Dogs – Past Life, Past Lives (wordpress.com)

Comment

According to FreeBMD, there was just one unknown male infant death in Whitechapel in SepQ88 (age 0) and no females.

The Evening Standard speaks of the child who was taken into the infirmary being ‘fed artificially’. I wonder if motherless infants were ever wet nursed by inmates who had recently lost their own children.

Comment

I have a suspect with connections to the Isle of Dogs and came across this sometime back, with great photographs of Millwall, etc.

The Oldest Photos of the Isle of Dogs (a Selection) | Isle of Dogs – Past Life, Past Lives (wordpress.com)

Interesting to see that one of the landmarks on the photo identified by the author is the Watermans Arms, the pub that Daniel Farson ran for a time in the 1960s.

Comment

There's a particularly great photo of a Victorian bobby frisking a man on the West India Docks.

No 'up against the wall, feet back and spread them!' in those days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Victorian Bobby Frisking a Suspect.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	586935

Comment

There's a particularly great photo of a Victorian bobby frisking a man on the West India Docks.

No 'up against the wall, feet back and spread them!' in those days.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Victorian Bobby Frisking a Suspect.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	586935

Perhaps we should reinstate the caption competition.

Comment

This is my favourite IOD photo:

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X