Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The True Provenance of the Eddowes Shawl?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
    Just to add hear that the Shawl never went near Cathrine Eddow…its edwardian

However I noted that the news feature claims it wasn't Cathrines…clever..but left by Aron himself…presumably because he was a Tailour?

Now all we require is a Tardis :cool:

Its Edwardian

Jeff
    So its not a Victorian shawl, you say its Edwardian, but it looks more like a table-runner to me than a shawl.

So, do we have an Edwardian table-runner?
    Regards, Jon S.
    "
    The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
    " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
    Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
      It's already listed as the #1 Best Seller in Serial Killers True Accounts on Amazon.com.
      It's 105 in ALL books right now. That's huge.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Reed
        Has anyone seen the book which isn't due out until tomorrow? Until we have, everything we opine about is just so much hot air.
        Why is that the case? This thread was started in March and discussion of this shawl goes back many years.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Glad you made it Tom.
          What do you make of all this stuff ?
          To Join JTR Forums :
          Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
            Glad you made it Tom.
            What do you make of all this stuff ?
            I've ordered a copy of the Edwards' book and look forward to reading it. However, we all know the history of the Eddowes Shawl. It didn't come from the Eddowes crime scene. There's a possibility it was Emma Smith's shawl, and it's just as possible it has zero relevance to any of the Ripper murders. It certainly cannot and will not give us the Ripper's identity. As you'll know (but others may not) I devoted an appendix to the shawl in my book, which was the inspiration for you creating this thread back in March. So, none of this is new.

Having said that, I'm not complaining about the boost in sales my book is receiving as a result of all this promotion. And congrats to Russell Edwards for the huge sales his book is getting.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Another sad and bogus exploitation. It's had SCAM written all over it from the beginning. And I can't understand why any descendants of Eddowes or Kosminski would have voluntarily entered into this shameful episode in Ripper history. Oh, wait...I haven't read the book yet, so maybe I'll pop a couple of stupid pills and pry open my mind (or what's left of it).

Comment

However, we all know the history of the Eddowes Shawl. It didn't come from the Eddowes crime scene. There's a possibility it was Emma Smith's shawl, and it's just as possible it has zero relevance to any of the Ripper murders. It certainly cannot and will not give us the Ripper's identity.
                Tom Wescott

Thanks Tom....I sort of felt that you weren't going to say we, Ripperologists that is, were 'Finnished' quite yet.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

And I can't understand why any descendants of Eddowes or Kosminski would have voluntarily entered into this shameful episode in Ripper history

John....it is interesting that someone from the Kozminski lineage ( according to Rob House ) acquiesced to the request to provide some blood or whatever in order to obtain DNA....but wanted to do so in anonymity.
                  In other words, its fine to finger one of my ancestors for the murders, I'll even help out, just don't tell them it was me that did it.
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Yeah, How- the Kosminski clan were apprehensive about even letting photos get out into the public domain (not of Aaron, but of some close relatives), so it would seem like going so far as to give a DNA sample would not only be contrary to the feelings of the family, but also show a serious lack of respect. I hope everyone involved comes to regret this.

Comment

I don't disagree with John Malcolm at all, but I'm not sure I share his venom. I would hope Russell Edwards believes wholeheartedly in his conclusions. The thing is, was it only mitochondrial DNA? Because that's about as convincing as a Trevor Marriott post. Call me when someone finds half a kidney in a jar in the London Hospital archives, then I'll get excited about an Eddowes DNA test.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Wot this book?
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_2167.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	554372

Name:	DSC_2164.JPG
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	554373

Name:	DSC_2169.JPG
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	554374

Comment

I don't buy it...but I bought it. So I'll read it. And if I still don't buy it, then the joke's on me.

Comment

Originally posted by John Malcolm View Post
                            I don't buy it...but I bought it. So I'll read it. And if I still don't buy it, then the joke's on me.
                            Ditto.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I think I have the other half of that table runner around here somewhere. And Grandma did say Grandpa was a lady killer. And in my family wine stains and blood stains pretty much are the same thing (rummaging noisily at the bottom of a chifforobe).

The specifics of the DNA testing protocols and bases of claims for a match ought to be very…. revealing. Dr. Louhelainen, on the surface, would appear to know his stuff (although his publications do not seem to describe research specifically along the lines of the methods the news media have been touting). Also, he's been around long enough to know the mortal damage that his work on this scarf and the claims being made will do to his career if it blows up. Still, this is not the way to responsibly go about such work, plead naivete as he may. So he already has accrued at least one strike against him, no matter what.

And then maybe he'll find who-knows-whose blood or something else on the Shroud of Turin. But it's certainly more interesting than Sickert, partly because there are no data yet.

Comment

That's right, Tom Westcott. If it is only mtDNA, as reported, then it's almost worthless for the purposes claimed. And that's without the likelihood of DNA contamination by the doubtless countless people who have handled it over the years which would make it even more useless.

We're told that some of the DNA probably came (sorry) from ejaculate. If so, what happened to the Y-chromosome?

The book will reveal all - or possibly simply that there is one born every minute.

Cheers

Mick
                                Cheers

Mick Reed

'Whatever happened to scepticism?'

Comment

Working...
                                X