Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a retired tracer :

http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...T+1/11274/item

It's possible to trace this tracer through the censuses. In 1871 he is a messenger. In 81 he is a telegraph clerk. In 91 he is a tracer. 1901 sees him as a civil service tracer, with a word I can't decipher. Finally in 1911 he is pensioned civil service GPO.

He is a clerk on his 1874 marriage to Elizabeth Morris. Confusingly, he marries as Robert William Breedon. However his daughter Eleanor's mother's maiden name is certainly Morris, and in 1881 he gives himself as Robert James.

Comment

• How, Newlove looks to have started at the Post Office in 85 as an indoor messenger becoming a sorter in November 88 and a tracer in Jan 89.

Comment

• Thanks Bob, Debs.....
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

• Regarding sorters, tracers and sorter tracers. It looks like sorter tracers was a job created in 1896, if I read this correctly. A lot had to do with hours, wages, age and score on the test.

https://books.google.com/books?id=LB...office&f=false (pages 226-228)

Comment

• For those of you willing to take the time to read this rather long report, I would like to pose a question. Who was the informant of LeBouchere that he would not name but wrote down and the Attorney General would not read his name? Any ideas?

The source here is the Parliamentary Report in which LeBouchere was suspended from the house for his accusations against Lord Salisbury for covering up in the scandal. It contains a lot of excellent info on the scandal by the way. The drama is quite suspenseful.

https://books.google.com/books?id=dN...reports&f=true (pages 1535-1610)

Comment

• nice find

Hello Jerry. Thanks.

Nice find. Do you have any ideas yourself?

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Lynn Cates View Post
                Hello Jerry. Thanks.

Nice find. Do you have any ideas yourself?

Cheers.
                LC
                Thanks Lynn,

LaBouchere stated an arrest warrant was issued for Podge on 9 November,1889. The general knowedge of the panel that day thought it was issued on the 12th of November. LaBouchere must have had inside knowledge of an earlier date of issue

With that in mind, I tend to lean toward a law enforcement source.

Comment

• I have no answer to the basic question. I did read the whole section linked below. This is the first time I have read any original proceedings about the Cleveland Street scandal so my approach is fresh and perhaps ignorant.

Overall it looks to me that a scandal had been reasonably successfully suppressed for quite some time. At this time the scandal could no longer be contained. I get the feeling that various people in high places conspired for damage control. If Salisbury was involved in suggesting Somerset should leave the country then I would think many were involved, perhaps all the way up to the Queen herself.

Was LaBouchere the chosen mouthpiece to address the scandal in a public forum? If so he may have had information from many sources.

Surely such a scandal was considered a threat to the monarchy itself, especially since the Prince of Wales' household was involved. That it had been suppressed for some time could make it much worse when it came out. Something we used to say when Nixon was president went something like, it is not the crime so much as the cover-up that does the damage.
                  The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• interesting

Hello Jerry. Thanks.

VERY interesting.

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

• help

Hello Anna. Thanks for those observations.

Picking up on that--and Jerry's remarks below--it might be interesting to subsume Saul's remarks about help from the police.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
                        For those of you willing to take the time to read this rather long report, I would like to pose a question. Who was the informant of LeBouchere that he would not name but wrote down and the Attorney General would not read his name? Any ideas?

The source here is the Parliamentary Report in which LeBouchere was suspended from the house for his accusations against Lord Salisbury for covering up in the scandal. It contains a lot of excellent info on the scandal by the way. The drama is quite suspenseful.

https://books.google.com/books?id=dN...reports&f=true (pages 1535-1610)
                        Jerry, please can you give the full title and date? Those of us in the UK aren't able to view this document on google books, but we might be able to find it elsewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                          Jerry, please can you give the full title and date? Those of us in the UK aren't able to view this document on google books, but we might be able to find it elsewhere.
                          Hi Debs

It’s a Parliamentary Report from Feb 28, 1890. Hope that helps. Can you access Hansard?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
                            Hi Debs

Itís a Parliamentary Report from Feb 28, 1890. Hope that helps. Can you access Hansard?
                            Got it. Thanks, Jerry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                              Got it. Thanks, Jerry.
                              Good deal. Glad you could find it. 😀

Comment

• Anna,

Thanks for taking the time to read it. For a Parliamentary Meeting it was actually a pretty good read. I want to address some points you made but will have to do it when I get a little more time

Comment

Working...
                                X