I am Jack the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am Jack the Ripper

During and after the Autumn of 1888 there were hundreds of people claiming to be Jack the Ripper. I have not found one example of anyone taking blame for the torso murders. Two letters were even sent by an author claiming to be JtR denying responsibility for two of the torso crimes.

Has anyone found any communication claiming responsibility for the torsos and do you place any significance in not wanting to take upon themselve that mantle of fame?

Good question and thanks for bringing it up, Jerry.

Its strange that neither of us can think of one example.....if one did come to mind, we'd probably would have been able to recall it in a jiffy.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Hi Jerry
      The press claimed that a couple of letters had been sent and signed 'Jack the Ripper' at the time of Elizabeth Jackson's death. One claimed "He is not dead but liveth" and would recommence operations soon and supposed to have been sent three days before Elizabeth's remains began to be found. The press then linked that to Elizabeth's death due to the fact that organs were removed in her case. The author themselves did not claim responsibility, if that letter ever existed of course.

Interesting that JTR was thought to be dead in June 89?

A letter was also reportedly sent after Elizabeth's death, signed Jack the Ripper and said "I see you have been finding the pieces. How is it you have not caught me yet? Look out for more pieces." signed Jack the Ripper.

Comment

Torso letters were at a disadvantage in that they arrived at various times in various sections and would have had to be pieced together like a jigsaw.

Comment

A letter was also reportedly sent after Elizabeth's death, signed Jack the Ripper and said "I see you have been finding the pieces. How is it you have not caught me yet? Look out for more pieces." signed Jack the Ripper.
          -Debs-

Thanks for this Debs....sort of embarrassed that I forgot about 'He is not Dead, but Liveth'.

This is but one newspaper account of what Debs referred to.

Birmingham Daily Post
          June 7, 1889
          https://imgur.com/fwrkJ8c
          To Join JTR Forums :
          Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Thanks Debs and How

i forgot about that communication. Thanks for the reminder. 👍

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
              Torso letters were at a disadvantage in that they arrived at various times in various sections and would have had to be pieced together like a jigsaw.
              Not only that Robert, the stamps alone cost an arm and a leg.

Comment

Working...
              X