Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Thomas Conway know more?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Did Thomas Conway know more?

    I have always found it strange that everyone in the City, Eddowes related that is, had been informed of the murder of Kate a short time afterwards. It took Thomas Conway until mid October to come forward? I have said this before, but I find it odd also that he and the boys were not present at her funeral. At least I haven't found it recorded anywhere.

    Echo
    London, U.K.
    16 October 1888

    TOM CONWAY FOUND.
    A "MYSTERIOUS LODGER."

    Tom Conway has been found, or, rather, he has discovered himself. Conway is the man who lived with Catherine Eddowes, the woman murdered in Mitre square. Up to yesterday, the efforts of the detectives had been at fault, owing, as was suggested by the City Solicitor at the inquest, to the fact that Conway has drawn his pension from the 18th Royal Irish Regiment under a false name, that of Thomas Quinn. Apparently he has not read the papers, for he was ignorant till the last few days that he was being sought for.


    His daughter claims he read the paper regularly.

    London Standard
    October 6, 1888



  • #2
    tune

    Hello Jerry. Thanks for this.


    Of course, you are singing my tune.


    Cheers.
    LC

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Lynn Cates View Post
      Hello Jerry. Thanks for this.


      Of course, you are singing my tune.


      Cheers.
      LC
      Lynn,

      Right up your alley, I know!

      Putting a few pieces together, if these accounts are true that is, we have Annie Phillips yelling up to a window in Thrawl Street asking her aunt where her mother is a week before her murder and Thomas Conway is rumored to have been seen in the "City" about a week before her murder. Wonder who told Annie of the encounter with Thomas Conway in the City? Conway stated himself he had seen Kate in the streets but tried to avoid her. What streets and what part of the City is my question? Was Annie alerted to something and wanted to communicate it to her mother the week before?

      Comment


      • #4
        Catherine was buried on October 8th. So, if Thomas Conway truly did not read/hear about her murder until the 15th or 16 of October, that explains why he would not have attended the funeral. I find it hard to believe he didn't hear about the Ripper's latest victim, though.

        Comment


        • #5
          Disguised as Hughes-Hallett? Or the other way around?

          Comment


          • #6
            change

            Hello Jerry. Thanks.


            Most disconcerting, however, is the huge change in the testimony from the newspaper interviews until the "official" inquest version.


            Cheers.
            LC

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
              Lynn,

              Right up your alley, I know!

              Putting a few pieces together, if these accounts are true that is, we have Annie Phillips yelling up to a window in Thrawl Street asking her aunt where her mother is a week before her murder and Thomas Conway is rumored to have been seen in the "City" about a week before her murder. Wonder who told Annie of the encounter with Thomas Conway in the City? Conway stated himself he had seen Kate in the streets but tried to avoid her. What streets and what part of the City is my question? Was Annie alerted to something and wanted to communicate it to her mother the week before?
              Quite .
              This whole situation is shrouded in mystery and contradiction
              I struggle to believe that Annie would have lost contact with the younger brothers she would have helped to raise .
              Must have been something extremely important for Annie to search out the mother who she had spent two years trying to avoid .
              To do with Kate's ex ? Or far more likely , something to do with one of her sons ?
              On a little sidenote , bearing in mind Thomas Conway ,of Cleveland Street links ,was said to disappear into the east end and pass himself off as a female impersonator , there was a James Quinn arrested in Clerkenwell for the very same thing reported in the morning advertiser of Nov 13th .
              Now as Thomas senior was known to pass himself off as Quinn ..... if , for arguments sake , his son found himself in a position where he required a pseudonym , is it not possible he may choose the same ?
              Probably just one of those coincidences .... but still
              You can lead a horse to water....

              Comment


              • #8
                CLERKENWELL.
                James Quinn, 24, described as an artist, of Albert-street, Barnsbury, was charged, before Mr. Bros, with being found in Goswell-road dressed in women's clothes, contrary to the law.

                The prisoner was seen by a police-officer at an early hour on Sunday morning walking along Goswell-road in female attire. The officer at once saw that Quinn was a man, as he had not shaved off his moustache.

                The prisoner, in answer to the charge, said "I only did it for a lark."

                Mr. Bros, after cautioning Quinn, discharged him

                There was no James Quinn in London at the time of the 1891 census who would have been 24 in Nov 88 as far as I can see .
                The fun continues 😀
                You can lead a horse to water....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Another sidepoint
                  Eddowes was known as Kate Conway according to the lodging house keeper "bought and paid for" .....
                  Yet on her return from Kent she refused to use the name.
                  Maybe giving the name "nothing" was an indicator of someone in a confused state who knew not to give that name but struggled to think 'on the spot' ?
                  Pondering .....
                  You can lead a horse to water....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Packers Stem View Post
                    Another sidepoint
                    Eddowes was known as Kate Conway according to the lodging house keeper "bought and paid for" .....
                    Yet on her return from Kent she refused to use the name.
                    Maybe giving the name "nothing" was an indicator of someone in a confused state who knew not to give that name but struggled to think 'on the spot' ?
                    Pondering .....
                    You can lead a horse to water...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Pleased to see you agree Gary
                      You can lead a horse to water....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I thought maybe Kate said "Nothing" when asked her name because maybe there were other charges against her. Or maybe past scrapes would make another incident more serious. Modern criminals use false names or refuse to give names if there is something else against them. I never thought deeper on the subject concerning Kate.

                        This is an interesting thread.
                        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                          I thought maybe Kate said "Nothing" when asked her name because maybe there were other charges against her. Or maybe past scrapes would make another incident more serious. Modern criminals use false names or refuse to give names if there is something else against them. I never thought deeper on the subject concerning Kate.

                          This is an interesting thread.
                          It could be very fruitful to think a lot deeper regarding Eddowes for us all
                          You can lead a horse to water....

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X