Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Jack disguise himself?

Hello,
    I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on whether you believe if JTR decided to dress up a little, wear fake facial hair, or make himself look different on a night he committed a murder from how he would normally look on every other day. There has been some speculation concerning this, particularly as a possible explanation as to why certain witness descriptions of the possible killer vary from person to person. I was reading Paul Begg's the Facts and came across this passage (hardcover, 3rd paragraph, pg. 124):

On Thursday, 13 September...In the evening at about ten o'clock a man passed through the Tower Subway from the Surrey to the Middlesex side, and said to the caretaker, "Have you caught any of the Whitechapel murders yet?" He then produced a knife, about a foot in length, with a curved blade and remarked, "This will do for them." He then ran away, pulling off and discarding FALSE WHISKERS as he went and disappeared from sight along Tooley Street. Described as: age, 30. 5'3", fair complexion, dark hair/moustache, wearing new, black diagonal suit, light dustcoat and dark cloth double-peaked hat.

Begg speculates that this was one of many practical jokers at the time. However, it's interesting, nonetheless. Maybe it was the killer trying to have a vicarious thrill in-between murders.

Also, not that it matters but The Zodiac killer mentioned in one of his letters that "I only look like the composite [composite sketch of murderer] when I do my thing; the rest of the time I look totally different." So, if true, serial killers disguising themselves is never out of the question. Does anyone here think Jack may have dressed up a little to avoid detection?

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=67

Comment

thank you

Comment

JT:

That slice o' life found in Mr. B's book is a little unusual, isn't it ? Not so much for the description of the man/joker in general...but I find it strange ( at present ) that someone would take such a risk just for kicks like that considering it was within the same week of the Chapman murder. Unless the man was certain he could pull it off and not be run down or could not be recognized, thats a strange risk to take even at 10 PM at night. Either very ballsy or very,very dumb....because it could have resulted in him being nabbed and charged.

What would have happened in the instance that some other joker...this time someone with their own joke up their sleeve, like a "witness" or maybe more than one... who didn't actually witness anything, but just wanted the same sort of attention our man in the whiskers did...came forward and claimed to have seen the kibbitzer in some form or fashion in the general area...and the police believed him/her ?

We could run with that train of thought for a while...
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact [email protected]

Comment

By the way, I voted on that 6 year old poll just now and opted for the selection that he counted on being inconspicuous and blending into the crowd.
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Yep me too

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown
              By the way, I voted on that 6 year old poll just now

Comment

Perhaps Jack was Irish - he was his normal self while committing a murder but disguised himself for the rest of the week.

Comment

Daft question, but would they have had so called joke/costume shops to buy these fake whiskers etc from in the LVP???!!!

Comment

I'm sure they had theatrical costumiers. How was Sherlock Holmes supposed to disguise himself otherwise? What about the man with the twisted lip?

Comment

I suppose it depended on the killers background.
                      If the killer was very poor he wouldn't be able to afford a disguise. Most really poor people, ie most of Whitechapel lived from day to day and wouldn't have other clothes to change into never mind a disguise.
                      It gets interesting when we get to the not so poor, tradesmen etc from the area. Would they use a disguise? If they did wear one and were found it would almost be an admission of guilt: "Is that you Jack? What the hell are you wearing that for?"
                      Then there are the middle classes. Now here we have at a reasonable chance they might wear a disguise, but only if they came from the area. Why wear a disguise if you are not from the area and no-one knows you? Sure you may be picked out later or a drawing may be circulated but the chances are very low especially since the killer was doing the deed at night.
                      For me the only really convincing group that may wear a disguise would be an upper class killer then he might be recognised and he would have the means to acquire one.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                        I'm sure they had theatrical costumiers. How was Sherlock Holmes supposed to disguise himself otherwise? What about the man with the twisted lip?

So maybe Jack had an insider at the Drury Lane Theatre!!

Comment

Didn't someone....in fact now I dismember it... it was A.P. Wolf...who found an article mentioning a shop that sold disguises...and its on that Ripper website JTRForums.

Let me go see if I can locate it.
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I for one would appreciate that How...x

Comment

From The Great One himself...A.P.

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....wigs#post41365
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X