Does a photograph of JACK exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does a photograph of JACK exist?

It has been said that no one ever saw Jack the Ripper, but this is balderdash. Many people saw him; they just didn't know that he was the Ripper.

Francis Tumblety was more of a human peacock than a doctor, and he wanted to be noticed, yet it has taken over a century after his death to produce a photograph of the man, when one might expect from his narcissism that there would be hundreds of certified images of him available.

An image of H Division personnel has finally surfaced, and Abberline is almost surely in it, but which of the detectives shown is he? Again, this is someone for whom one could reasonably expect to find some photograph or other, since there exist photographs of so many other contemporary police officials.

Many of those living in London's East End in 1888 probably never even saw a camera, much less had a photo taken. Was Jack one of them, or does some image of him exist in some photo archive somewhere? The same could be said of Mary Kelly, but we'll confine our attention to Jack for now.

It is a question impossible to answer definitively, since Jack remains an unknown, but do you think that a photograph of him exists or not? Please state your opinion and reasons, if any.

Myself, I think that a photograph of Jack does exist, as a crowd scene. I do not think that the man ever had his photograph taken individually, unless it was as a police mug shot.

I agree with you Tim about a possible crowd scene

There might well be a family photo of him - no way of knowing is there?

There is also the possibility of him having been a subject for one of the East End scenes sketched for the newspapers etc

Comment

"Does a photograph of JACK exist?"

Yes he's on that surveillance video of Berner Street in the early morning hours of 30 September 1888. Didn't you know?

Admittedly he looks a bit shadowy. And I can't quite see his face. Wait a minute. . .
      Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
      https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
      Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Remember that photo montage of lunatic asylum patients with Ostrog's picture in the middle? Look around at the surrounding mug shots (and find those that were cut out). The Ripper's portrait is probably there . Personally, I think he was the guy numbered 4 (7-9-81) and Russian, to the upper right of Ostrog.

The John Small guy (#9) to the left of Ostrog bears a pretty good likeness (at least in my mind) to what David Cohen probably looked like.

But what do I know?

Comment

My belief is there is a picture of him and it is sat somewhere in a lunatic asylum casebook. And more likely to be a county asylum as opposed to a Criminal asylum.

This might even be him for all we know just like hundreds of others.

Comment

Thats one hell of a photo,Mark.....
            I'm glad you keep plugging away at the asylum histories.
            To Join JTR Forums :
            Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
              Thats one hell of a photo,Mark.....
              I'm glad you keep plugging away at the asylum histories.

I don't know how others visualise him but this chap is fairly close to how I imagine him to have looked.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
                Remember that photo montage of lunatic asylum patients with Ostrog's picture in the middle? Look around at the surrounding mug shots (and find those that were cut out). The Ripper's portrait is probably there . Personally, I think he was the guy numbered 4 (7-9-81) and Russian, to the upper right of Ostrog.

The John Small guy (#9) to the left of Ostrog bears a pretty good likeness (at least in my mind) to what David Cohen probably looked like.

But what do I know?
                Yes! Number 4 and Number 16 could be Jack The Ripper. I think number 4 looks like David Cohen.

Comment

Fascinating! I think it's all about the eyes. Like MJK was noted to have previously been with a man with odd eyes.

I wonder also if the victims are pictured in street scenes of the time. Could even MJK be in a street scene somewhere? I suppose we would never know even if we looked directly at her.
                  The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Were forgetting one of the main thing's here..

Whoever Jack was he was so so mundane and ordinary that no one would give a toss he if walked by them or even stop him to question him after a murder..

So i think those photos of those Gentlemen above would have caused suspicion..Or even someone with wonky eyes..

So my guess would be "NO" to an existing picture of Jack,unless they photographed the Homeless/Tramps...or some people of similar standing.

On a light side note.Do you think Jack ever revisited his scenes when police or on lookers were there?? shame they didn't do a drawing of the crowds at the murder scenes!

My two pence..Great thread by the way.

Scott

Comment

Man with odd eyes :
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                        Man with odd eyes :
                        See Robert..Wouldn't you pull that fellow over after a murder? lol

Comment

Scott, I'd pull that fellow over automatically, murder or no.

Comment

CC stud

Hello All. The one posted under #5 looks like a community college student.

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

Robert: That fellow looks like he has photo shopped eyes. Strange indeed!

I think Jack may have gone back to scenes of the crimes especially if he didn't have any organs in his pockets. It makes sense to me that Jack may have been someone who could legitimately have been on the streets with bloody hands, clothes or even a knife, and no one would have questioned him. Sometimes I think Jack was a street vendor who could stand by his cart (cats meat?) and watch all the excitement. Wouldn't it be a bigger horror is he sold body parts as petfood? Jack would have a laugh over that I think.
                              The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Working...
                              X