Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC 881 Edward Watkins City of London Police

Hi,
    Most people on this site will probably know or have heard of Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins who served in the City of London Police from 15/5/1871 to 28/5/1896.
    Police Constable 881 Edward Watkins...... most famous moment was in the early hours of the 30th of September in 1888 when he discovered the body of Catherine Eddowes in Mitre Square.

Now if you could bear with me for a moment.....I am a collector of Metropolitan Police Jubilee medals for 1887 and 1897 and the Coronation medals for 1902 and 1911 and I also collect City of London medals, as stated above. I have done this for many years and I research each individual Policeman ie Metropolitan Police records, Census, Old Bailey, newspaper reports etc and gather all this information together. At the peak of my collecting, I had approximately 125 Policemen within my collection.

When searching for new items coming onto the market, I always found it beneficial to regularly check oversea's dealers and sites which always took a lot more time and effort to do especially when comparing it to checking ebay or UK auction sites etc. This is an important point later on in the story.

Obviously, the Jack the Ripper murder period in 1888 comes into the collecting time-frame but I would not class myself as a Ripperologist but rather more of an amateur researcher and researching within a very specific period and subject.

Now hopefully I will successfully download some photographs, fingers crossed.
    Alan.
    Attached Files
Working...
X