Social Media & Ripperology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Media & Ripperology

One of developments in the field has been the expansion of this thing of ours into social media, such as Twitter but more specifically, Facebook.

Has it succeeded in expanding Ripperology's better features...or perhaps, not ?

One of the reasons I've seen given for the migration of individuals to these new social mediums is the dissatisfaction some had with 'main stream' sites such as Casebook and JTRForums...and for the independence one has running a Facebook page without intervention from moderators on these boards and Casebook. These are by no means the only reasons.

Your views on its development and future.
    Thanks !
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Ignore it. Social media = bite sized chunks for the brain-dead.

Comment

We'll take the high road - and let them take the low road.
      Attached Files

Comment

I think that social media is good for keeping interest in the case going through to the next generations, but I think it's bad for the fact that so much crap, for want of a better description, gets posted on social media and accepted as fact by those who are simply browsing or have a passing interest. So it has its advantages and disadvantages, but it would be remiss of current Ripperologists not to use social media as another platform to draw people into study of the case - if you can find 1 decent researcher who'll stick around out of every 20, it's worth the while. Other platforms such as these forums will always be the next step up for those who are serious.

Cheers,
        Adam.

Comment

I have found that social media is very poor as a medium for discussions on detailed subjects such as this. It is just not structured properly for anything other than a little sound bite information, as Linford said, maybe some photos or artwork...and a lot of senseless gossip. It's just basically a high tech version of the old telephone party line.
          Best Wishes,
          Cris Malone

Comment

Totally disagree guys. Social media is world wide , it is the big thing that will only continue to grow. Emails and forums and certainly pen and paper will become a thing of the past.
            Books will be a novelty items you buy people for special occasions or an antique collectable. Everything will be downloadable and physical items reduced because the cost to have it physically will outwiegh the economic vaiability of such item.

You may think it wont be like that but whens the last time you wrote a letter ?

Whens the last time you rented a dvd from the shop ?

Social media can and will be a fantastic tool to promote , educate and sell across the world. But are we ready for it ?

Comment

Couldn't we have unmutual media instead?

Comment

Twitter would never accomplish much for a complex subject like Ripperology. With 140 characters, every thought becomes little more than a slogan. It's like a contest to tell a story in a very short sentence or several partial sentences. (Which is why I use lots of contractions, which isn't really my writing style.)

Facebook CAN be useful in fields like Ripperology, I think. Two of my other mystery interests have efforts I very much respect on Facebook. A lot is accomplished on those pages.

Another aspect of social media is the ability for people to comment at the bottom of articles, etc. Sometimes I read a great deal of those to see if someone has a recollection to offer. Every once in awhile someone will relate some family memory or something that might have value and that might otherwise be lost. It is just possible someone will someday post somewhere that Mary Kelly was their relative. Yeah, I know they do that all over the place now, but it's possible we may get a lead someday that will prove out.

Longer format social media is also a good way to sort out information and recollections. People are more comfortable expressing themselves on social media and there can be interaction that support or not, information.
                The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Cobb View Post
                  Totally disagree guys. Social media is world wide , it is the big thing that will only continue to grow. Emails and forums and certainly pen and paper will become a thing of the past.
                  Books will be a novelty items you buy people for special occasions or an antique collectable. Everything will be downloadable and physical items reduced because the cost to have it physically will outwiegh the economic vaiability of such item.

You may think it wont be like that but whens the last time you wrote a letter ?

Whens the last time you rented a dvd from the shop ?

Social media can and will be a fantastic tool to promote , educate and sell across the world. But are we ready for it ?
                  Social media is a big thing. So is Star Wars and so is Bernie Sanders. All are about as viable as one another for the serious discussion of Ripperology.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Where's the like button?
                    Best Wishes,
                    Cris Malone

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                      Couldn't we have unmutual media instead?
                      Rob,

Check out the BBC's 'impartial' coverage of the Brexit debate.

Gary

Comment

Ripperology on social media (as in Facebook and Twitter) is a different animal to what appears on Forums and message boards like this. It's much more of a free-for all - things do get out of hand on a forum, but it's nothing compared to what goes on elsewhere.

Dedicated Ripper Forums are usually monitored by admins to keep things on the straight and narrow often enough, but on Facebook for example, more people are accessing it all the time, jumping in and out, supporting and deriding in an instant and the monitoring falls to whether the person who made the original post on their wall wants to say something or scrub it. Surprisingly little of any value that furthers research in the field is appearing on places like that.

Oh for the old days of a decent row about the subject on a forum!

Social media-based Ripperology is a mess.

Comment

Ah, the dear old British Broadcasting Collaborators Corporation.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                            Ah, the dear old British Broadcasting Collaborators Corporation.
                            The BBBBCCC, th-th-th- thank you, Arkwright .

Comment

Offhand, I can't think of any Ripper related new information or research that has appeared on social media sites like Facebook. I can't bring to mind any really serious discussion either. I'm sure some has put some up, I just can't think of any. Whereas I can think of lots of stuff that's appeared on Forums and Casebook.

Comment

Working...
                              X