Q & A - Pat Bennet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q & A - Pat Bennet

Ms. Bennet operates one or more Social Rip pages.

Many thanks to Pats for pitching in.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post

Who is your favorite character in the Whitechapel murder mystery?

Comment

[QUOTE=Howard Brown;382527]Ms. Bennet operates one or more Social Rip pages.

Does everyone agree that there are too many coincidences in this case?

The two most suspicious coincidences, to me, are when Catherine Eddowes gave the police the name of “Nothing” when she was arrested on September 29, and that she gave the police the name of “Mary Kelly” when she was released. The name “Nothing” was written in the graffiti, “The Juwes are not the men that will not be blamed for Nothing” and of course Mary Kelly being the following Victim.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post

How many people here think the Ripper had an accomplice during his murder spree?

Comment

1. Who is your favorite character in the Whitechapel murder mystery?

Charles Grande, since he was Danish like me
          Other than him, probably MJK

2. Does everyone agree that there are too many coincidences in this case?

No, I certainly don’t

3. How many people here think the Ripper had an accomplice during his murder spree?

Not many, I’d wager. I at least do not think there was one.

Comment

1. Who is your favorite character in the Whitechapel murder mystery?

Like Kattrup, I'd say Grande. I do also find Bachert a strange and interesting character.

2. Does everyone agree that there are too many coincidences in this case?

No, I'd say there are probably the same amount of coincidences as happens all the time in real life but that focusing on the coincidences in the case makes us feel like we have some sort of lead that may solve the case and so we feel less able to accept it as coincidence.

3. How many people here think the Ripper had an accomplice during his murder spree?

I don't think there was an accomplice but there may have been someone who suspected another but never let on.

Comment

I never thought about a favorite character in the case. Two effect me strongly at an emotional level. One is MJK because of the enduring mystery and many directions research can go. Part of me wants to give back her identity and part of me wonders if she would have preferred to be always unknown under an alias, if she was using an alias at all.

The second is Annie Chapman because she was so terribly ill and still trying to survive. Then she ended up wandering the streets all the night of her last day until she was murdered in the early morning. (I enjoy living close to nature and have something like a sleeping porch which is exposed to fresh air. I also have chronic migraine. I have good food, warm clothes, a heat source and a nice bed every night. When it is cold or I am ill I think of poor Annie, alone and miserable, with no warm bed and no choice but to wander all night. Her postmortem indicated an inflammation of the brain would likely have killed her sooner than later so I wonder if she had terrible headaches as well.)

I do not think there are excessive coincidences in his case. I am frustrated with the inability to form strong and indicative patterns with the material available. Working with five victims the patterns are likely to be two or if I am lucky, three. Something I have learned about internet research is that the World Wide Web will give out lots of information on subjects, and coincidences and patterns seem to be there, except the massive amount of data available leads to things that appear coincidental but ultimately have no connection to anything.

Working with the facts of the case I would say there are not enough coincidences to direct research.

I do not think JtR had any accomplices. I do not think family, friends or close associates, if any, had any knowledge of his true activities. If any of these people existed in his life, IMO at best they could have had loose, unfounded suspicions. I think Jack was successfully secretive about his deadly activities.
              The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

1. Favourite? Catherine Eddowes; she seems to have been quite a character.

2. Too many coincidences? The only one of significance was Stride and Eddowes murdered on the same night... by two different killers, in my view.

3. Accomplices? Like Debs, I think the killer almost certainly worked alone, but it's possible someone had suspicions and kept quiet about them.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

1. William Onion, an extremely violent man who swapped alcohol for pints of tea and reinvented himself as an eccentric and lovable poet.
                  2. No. Too many assumptions based on coincidences maybe.
                  3. I think it highly unlikely that there was an accomplice.

Comment

1) Catherine Eddowes would be my favourite...I think she would have been a quite perky little sparrow...but most interesting would be a different matter...I think Mary Jane would be up there...we all know there's a hidden story there somewhere, and my gut feel is it might be a real humdinger...
                    2) Too many coincidences? No I don't think so...
                    3) Accomplices...don't think so...someone who kept shtum about something...yes probably...but thereagain, I'm not, in all honesty, that interested in "Jack" per-se...
                    Cheers
                    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      1. Favourite? Catherine Eddowes; she seems to have been quite a character.

2. Too many coincidences? The only one of significance was Stride and Eddowes murdered on the same night... by two different killers, in my view.

3. Accomplices? Like Debs, I think the killer almost certainly worked alone, but it's possible someone had suspicions and kept quiet about them.

Catherine Eddowes is also one of my favorite persons in this tragedy. Do you believe that prior to her arrest on September 29, 1888, she was heard saying that she knew who the Ripper was, and was going to get a huge reward for her information?

Comment

I think Catherine Eddowes was the prettiest and tiniest victim. She is really interesting however I think the source behind Kate claiming to know the murderer is highly suspect. Isn't that more lore than fact?

Comment

Originally posted by Patricia Bennet View Post
                          Do you believe that prior to her arrest on September 29, 1888, she was heard saying that she knew who the Ripper was, and was going to get a huge reward for her information?
                          We only have one source for that story, I believe... not that this necessarily means she didn't say it. If she did, then given Kate's personality, I wouldn't be surprised if she was just pulling someone's leg.
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                          (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                            We only have one source for that story, I believe... not that this necessarily means she didn't say it. If she did, then given Kate's personality, I wouldn't be surprised if she was just pulling someone's leg.
                            Taken in that vein and considering it was allegedly said to someone in a workhouse, it might better be compared to a modern person in a shelter saying, "Things will get better this week, I have the winning number for the lottery." Or, "I have the name of the horse who will win....."

On the other hand I would not think it unusual if a number of East End women thought they knew the identity of JtR. Apparently none of them did because we sure don't have information trickled down from them that points us in any particular direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                              Apparently none of [the East End women] did because we sure don't have information trickled down from them...
                              Which prompts me to think that, had Eddowes really believed she knew who the murderer was, surely she'd have told John Kelly. And he, in his grief and rage at losing his partner, almost certainly would have told the police - who, in turn, would almost certainly have acted on that information. Yet we hear nothing of the sort happening in the wake of Eddowes' murder.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                              (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Working...
                              X