Q & A - Pat Bennet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
    I am frustrated with the inability to form strong and indicative patterns with the material available.
    The police at the time couldn't do it either Anna. And they had more material available to them.

Comment

Who is your favorite character in the Whitechapel murder mystery?

No favorite, but Bachert & Pearly Poll are interesting, case related...or 1888-related.

Few, if any ,coincidences (IMHO ) and possibly someone knew the killer was outdoors at the right time....maybe someone dependent on his income.
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
        Which prompts me to think that, had Eddowes really believed she knew who the murderer was, surely she'd have told John Kelly. And he, in his grief and rage at losing his partner, almost certainly would have told the police - who, in turn, would almost certainly have acted on that information. Yet we hear nothing of the sort happening in the wake of Eddowes' murder.
        Plus, Kate and John had just returned from hopping. If she had any information, was it obtained before hopping, idle talk around campfires during hopping, something she picked up on her return to London, or from ruminating as she and John walked along the roads?
        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Plus, Kate and John had just returned from hopping. If she had any information, was it obtained before hopping, idle talk around campfires during hopping, something she picked up on her return to London, or from ruminating as she and John walked along the roads?
          The thing is, whilst some of the latest news would doubtless have percolated further south-east, Kate and John had been out of the thick of the action for some time. If there's any truth in the deputy's story, perhaps Kate was still basing her suspicions on stale information... she might even have thought that "Leather Apron" was the killer!
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
          (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            We only have one source for that story, I believe... not that this necessarily means she didn't say it. If she did, then given Kate's personality, I wouldn't be surprised if she was just pulling someone's leg.

Given Catherineís personality, youíre right she could have been joking, and thatís what people loved about her. However, while she may have been joking, the Ripper could have overheard her, or heard she was saying this from someone else, and felt he needed to silence her.

Comment

Pats:

Thanks again for taking up my suggestion....the thread is going smoothly as I thought it would with you in charge.
              XXXX
              To Join JTR Forums :
              Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                Pats:

Thanks again for taking up my suggestion....the thread is going smoothly as I thought it would with you in charge.
                XXXX
                Thank you How for the invitation! : )

Comment

Originally posted by Patricia Bennet View Post
                  Given Catherineís personality, youíre right she could have been joking, and thatís what people loved about her. However, while she may have been joking, the Ripper could have overheard her, or heard she was saying this from someone else, and felt he needed to silence her.
                  Also, if the Ripper overheard Catherine, she was acquainted with him, and didnít know it.

Comment

Also, if the Ripper overheard Catherine, she was acquainted with him, and didnít know it.
                    Or if there was a bigger plan afoot, the word could have been passed up the line. I highly doubt there was a big plan and I think JtR acted alone with his own solitary sick fantasies.

I have mentioned before that I once lived in a small town where there were quite a few unsolved murders. Lots of us discussed these events and shared opinions and I think that must be pretty natural when murders happen close to home. I even pointed out to people there were trails of evidence leading directly to my quarter of the small town, practically to my street. At this time I think--meaning I do not know anything for sure--that my next door neighbor kid was a SK. At this time he is locked up for life for decapitating a woman, his lifelong dream.

What Kate could have known was knowledge of creepy men who walked the streets into the early morning. Maybe JtR knew about her too if she was out late at night on very many occasions.

Comment

And does everyone think it was a coincidence that part of her apron was found by the graffiti, "The Juwes are not the men that will not be blamed for Nothing?"

And was the word "Nothing" just a coincidence, that Catherine gave the name "Nothing" when she was arrested?

Comment

And this is where I think you will begin to see differing theories from all sides!

For example I'm personally undecided whether or not the placement of the apron piece was significant or not...whether the graffito and cloth are connected or not...hence can't really draw any conclusions regarding "nothing"...

I do believe the graffito (and by implication the apron piece too) were in the lobby rather than on/by the door lintel, not fully trusting in the greater visibility Warren, (it seems alone), suggested, but suspect that in even that relatively small thing I'm quite possibly in a minority...not that it matters much because I also suspect I know a good deal less than many other folk here!

I think, in reality, it's another of these cases where nobody knows and everybody surmises...good luck!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                          And this is where I think you will begin to see differing theories from all sides!

For example I'm personally undecided whether or not the placement of the apron piece was significant or not...whether the graffito and cloth are connected or not...hence can't really draw any conclusions regarding "nothing"...

I do believe the graffito (and by implication the apron piece too) were in the lobby rather than on/by the door lintel, not fully trusting in the greater visibility Warren, (it seems alone), suggested, but suspect that in even that relatively small thing I'm quite possibly in a minority...not that it matters much because I also suspect I know a good deal less than many other folk here!

I think, in reality, it's another of these cases where nobody knows and everybody surmises...good luck!

Dave
                          Or if there was a bigger plan afoot, the word could have been passed up the line. I highly doubt there was a big plan and I think JtR acted alone with his own solitary sick fantasies.

I have mentioned before that I once lived in a small town where there were quite a few unsolved murders. Lots of us discussed these events and shared opinions and I think that must be pretty natural when murders happen close to home. I even pointed out to people there were trails of evidence leading directly to my quarter of the small town, practically to my street. At this time I think--meaning I do not know anything for sure--that my next door neighbor kid was a SK. At this time he is locked up for life for decapitating a woman, his lifelong dream.

What Kate could have known was knowledge of creepy men who walked the streets into the early morning. Maybe JtR knew about her too if she was out late at night on very many occasions.

Unlike the other victims of the Ripper, Catherine Eddowes' friends said that she was not a prostitute. Which has made many think that was an informant, and not a prostitute. While she was in custody, she continued to ask the police what time it was, hinting she needed to meet someone by a certain time. Police informants are paid for their information, and allegedly she said she was going to receive money for what she knew.

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                            Ms. Bennet operates one or more Social Rip pages.

Many thanks to Pats for pitching in.
                            How many people think the “From Hell” letter was from the Ripper?

Comment

I don't think Kate saying her name was 'Nothing' and the word 'nothing' showing up on a wall means anything. I think that is overthinking the subject. Words are there to be used. Kate did not want to give a name so, in a drunken state, she said 'Nothing'. The writing on the wall was convoluted but the word had a place in that missive.

The Lusk letter as well as the apron and graffiti are two subjects on which I am undecided. There are good arguments on all sides, therefore I keep an open mind and keep trying to learn and think.

Of the two subjects, I think the Lusk letter is most likely not written by the killer. I am coming around to Trevor's point of view that Catherine Eddowe's kidney was removed in the mortuary shed. My reasoning on this is, the killer really struggled with Kate's many layers of clothing. He didn't have much time. IMO when he got frustrated he got sloppy, thus there was a lot of slashing. No matter how the kidney removal by JtR is considered, he had to cut through all her clothes, expose her abdomen, cut through tissue and organs obscuring the kidney, etc. I just don't think he had the time, skill or luck to have removed Kate's kidney. If JtR did not remove her kidney, then the Lusk letter pretty much had to be a fake. (Unless JtR obtained a medical specimen kidney....but that goes into the realm of ridiculous.)

I am not 100% with Trevor on the killer not taking any organs from any victim but the removal of Kate's kidney is so contentious and even unrealistic, that I think Trevor has a strong point.

Comment

For what it's worth, if any single one of the letters are actually from the killer, then "From Hell" is it...but it's a huge "if"...and I don't really buy it...nor though do I buy the kidney being removed at the mortuary...in my mind, against the background of a killer who seems to have a growing fascination for internal organs, that's a somewhat unjustified step towards conspiracy theorising...

But again, who really knows?

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X