Q & A - Pat Bennet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Patricia Bennet View Post
    Does anyone know or have more information on what exactly made Druitt's family suspect him of being the Ripper? xxx
    Hi Patricia, unfortunately no one really knows, and your question even presumes too much - did Druitt's family really suspect him? "From private information I have little doubt" - that information might not have come from his family, but from someone talking about the family and Macnaghten interpreting it to mean they suspected him. For instance, if he was informed the family had planned to have Druitt committed to an asylum.

There's a ripperologist article going into detail about which family member might have informed Macnaghten, I cannot recall it right now, though.

Comment

• I agree with Kattrup concerning the Druitt family. Plus, Jonathan Hainsworth wrote a book and did a lot of research on this subject which adds a lot of details.

As far as MJK & girlfriends sharing a room, I don't see any reason to jump to a conclusion that the women all used the bed/premises for business purposes. Joe Barnett said Mary did not go on the streets when she was with him. While I have my doubts, perhaps he was correct. He also said Mary took in very destitute women when the nights were bitter cold. I am a little behind in remembering things but as I recall, Mary allowed Maria Harvey to stay with her and also as I recall, our best researchers found information indicating Maria had a small child with her.

Remember the wild tale soon after Mary's demise? That she had a 7 year old boy and that the boy had been given candy or something and told to leave the room at the time his "mother" was murdered? None of that seems to be true but was there a kernel of truth? Had a mother and small boy been staying with Mary? Had neighbors guessed at and enlarged details in the frenzy after Mary's death?

Joe Barnett said he left Mary because she invited unfortunates to share the room. He also indicated Mary herself was leading a bad life. Maybe the total answer is not so simple. Joe insisted he did not part from Mary due to his lack of a job and money but isn't it likely that had something to do with his departure? Maybe the situation went in a number of directions toward the end of Joe's presence. He had little work or money. Rent was in arrears. Maybe Mary got a penny or two from her destitute friends in return for a night's lodging. Maybe Joe felt bad because he could not provide. Maybe they quarreled and he left. Mary seems to have certainly returned to life as an unfortunate but was this before or after Joe moved out?.
      The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

Hi Patricia, unfortunately no one really knows, and your question even presumes too much - did Druitt's family really suspect him? "From private information I have little doubt" - that information might not have come from his family, but from someone talking about the family and Macnaghten interpreting it to mean they suspected him. For instance, if he was informed the family had planned to have Druitt committed to an asylum.

There's a ripperologist article going into detail about which family member might have informed Macnaghten, I cannot recall it right now, though.
        Hi Kattrup, that's an extremely interesting perspective that another person, outside of the family, overheard that Druitt's family planned to commit him to an asylum, and informed Macnaghten. But for me this is beyond irresponsible for Macnaghten to suspect Druitt was the Ripper just because he had psychological issues. For me there has to be more specific details, i.e. the informant overheard family members say they had discovered blood on Druitt's clothes on numerous occasions, and Druitt was not injured. I so wish we had more information on why Macnaghten suspected Druitt. xxx

Comment

• Hi Anna, I will get that book by Jonathan Hainsworth! How did you like that book, and how would you rate it? xxx

Comment

Hi Anna, I will get that book by Jonathan Hainsworth! How did you like that book, and how would you rate it? xxx
            In all honesty..........I completely moved four times in one year......I have not been able to order his book. However I remember his interactions here and had a little private messaging with him. I am very impressed with Jonathan. I think the book presents another wrinkle in the JtR/Druitt saga but I think Jonathan just presents good research and does not insist on a conclusion. This is one book I really want to buy*.

In the end, maybe the Druitt information is a compilation of memories and thoughts believed by some at the time. I used to live in a place with lots of unsolved murders. Trails of evidence used to lead back to the block where I lived. I think my neighbor kid was a SK. (Now doing life without parole for decapitating a woman.) That's my opinion and I have shared it with others while also explaining why it might not be so. I qualify a lot of what I write and also what I say. But people get bored with qualifiers and they skim the shocking points. My point is, a hundred and thirty years in the future maybe local lore will be ________ was a known SK because Anna used to tell tales. LOL!

(I was never in any danger as my husband had threatened to feed the kid to our dogs if he didn't quit tormenting them. That was before child abuse was invented, obviously. The outcome of that was the kid was very polite to my husband and I, and he was nice to our dogs. Additionally, I am not short or cute, not blonde and do not wear tight clothes, all of which may have had to do with victim pattern.)

*I know everyone relies on Amazon. I tried it once for a $13.00 item which they were unable to deliver. They were also unable to read replies I sent to their emails. Their phone banks weren't working--and they knew the system was totally ****ed up at the time--when I told them I wanted my $13.00 back. THEN they proceeded to help themselves to my credit card which led to a card cancellation when my bank flagged the apparent fraud. I think Amazon was just making sure I paid $98.00 for a premium membership to which they were not entitled since they could not deliver to my address. Their phone banks were working when I raised hell about this. I told them I would leave them alone if they would leave me alone. So far it has worked!~~~~~~~~~All of which is a long explanation as to why I don't have all the latest books and I really would like to support the authors.

Comment

• Ask the authors to send you a complimentary copy Anna. They'll probably do it for you.

Comment

• Hi Anna, goodness, you've had extremely bad luck with Amazon, however you've been extremely blessed not to have been a victim of your next door neighbor. xxx

Comment

Hi Anna, goodness, you've had extremely bad luck with Amazon, however you've been extremely blessed not to have been a victim of your next door neighbor. xxx
                  True. Apparently a good way to stop a budding, junior serial killer is to threaten to feed him to your dogs. LOL!

Comment

Working...
                  X