Q & A - Pat Bennet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Patricia Bennet View Post
    Hi Kattrup! There is a man in one of my Facebook groups, who is actively doing research in an attempt to identify the real Mary Kelly. He has found some information that suggests she may have also used that last name.
    Quite the coincidence, Patricia: I'd never heard of her using that name, but today while looking for something else, I came across this text from 1895:

maryjmccarthy.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

Quite the coincidence, Patricia: I'd never heard of her using that name, but today while looking for something else, I came across this text from 1895:

maryjmccarthy.jpg
      I take it from the spelling of ‘neighboring’ that this is an American account.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post

I take it from the spelling of ‘neighboring’ that this is an American account.
        Basically yes, it’s canadian. Chronicles of crime and criminals, no. 1, from Beaver something Press.
        Library metadata has the date 1895 but I suspect it’s a wee bit later, 1896 or 1897.
        Looks like it hasn’t been posted here or on casebook? I’m on my phone now, will post it later.

Comment

• I've been reading several press reports from Canada, US and UK. One states at the beginning of the article, "London special to the NY Sun". It is worded exactly the same as the one Kattrup posted.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
            I've been reading several press reports from Canada, US and UK. One states at the beginning of the article, "London special to the NY Sun". It is worded exactly the same as the one Kattrup posted.
            Thank you Jerry. I posted a link to the entire publication here
            I think it has not been discussed before, but interesting if it's just a remash of NY Sun articles

The metadata from libraries assume publication .ca. 1895 but I would guess late 1888 or early 1889.

To me it reads quite amateurish and translated, as though the writer originally composed it in another language. As it's Canadian I think possibly French, but it's just a wild guess.
            Chronicles of Crime and Criminals, no. 1: No. 1. Full and authentic account of the murder by Henry Wainwright of his mistress, Harriet Lane, and an extended account of the Whitechapel murders by the infamous Jack the Ripper (https://archive.org/details/cihm_33789). Beaver Publishing Company, Toronto, 1895. Library metadata

Comment

• I have heard that MJK also went by the name McCarthy but there was a lot of curious information right after the crime was discovered. It was also suggested that she was Lizzie Fisher. IMO, of most interest to the search for MJK is that she apparently was known as Mary Jane Kelly during her Ratcliff Highway days. Barnett also agrees with Kelly though he said her Christian names were Marie Jeanette. It is interesting that the latter is also included on her death certificate.

Washington state serial killers have tended to come from the Tacoma/Seattle area which is a large metropolis. Though there have been some spectacular crimes in or around Spokane, Washington which is a smaller city. Somewhere there are lists of known serial killers per state and though Washington is toward the top, I think California and some other states outrank Washington.

Pat: As for my personal experiences, I was told by a city official, no witnesses present of course, that I was being targeted as a single woman. What happened to me was stupid, amateurish, small town entitlement mentality, aided by state law that weakens private property ownership. Oregon is a peculiar place, often in the news these days. Decades ago some powers somewhere decided that entry level jobs should be "contracted" to Mexican* "crews" and citizens needing those jobs should find dignity on welfare. By now this system has been able to drive down construction wages to minimum, or less if the pay is under the table. It is said if Marxism was put on the ballot in Oregon, it would be voted in. Lots of people feel entitled to a lot but they don't have the opportunity to learn how to work for rewards, IMO.

*"Mexican"=> Literally. Most foreign workers here in the west are from Mexico.

I have never lived in Washington state though I have at times mentioned experiences in that state, including escaping from the Mt. St. Helens eruption and fallout in 1980. Amazingly my husband and I were on the beach in Washington when Ted Bundy snatched a couple girls. We used to travel quite a bit and lived in California part of the time, so I was actually in a lot of places in the west when interesting things happened.
              The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

Thank you Jerry. I posted a link to the entire publication here
                I think it has not been discussed before, but interesting if it's just a remash of NY Sun articles

The metadata from libraries assume publication .ca. 1895 but I would guess late 1888 or early 1889.

To me it reads quite amateurish and translated, as though the writer originally composed it in another language. As it's Canadian I think possibly French, but it's just a wild guess.
                Thank you Kattrup for this excellent information! xxx

Comment

• Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                  I have heard that MJK also went by the name McCarthy but there was a lot of curious information right after the crime was discovered. It was also suggested that she was Lizzie Fisher. IMO, of most interest to the search for MJK is that she apparently was known as Mary Jane Kelly during her Ratcliff Highway days. Barnett also agrees with Kelly though he said her Christian names were Marie Jeanette. It is interesting that the latter is also included on her death certificate.

Washington state serial killers have tended to come from the Tacoma/Seattle area which is a large metropolis. Though there have been some spectacular crimes in or around Spokane, Washington which is a smaller city. Somewhere there are lists of known serial killers per state and though Washington is toward the top, I think California and some other states outrank Washington.

Pat: As for my personal experiences, I was told by a city official, no witnesses present of course, that I was being targeted as a single woman. What happened to me was stupid, amateurish, small town entitlement mentality, aided by state law that weakens private property ownership. Oregon is a peculiar place, often in the news these days. Decades ago some powers somewhere decided that entry level jobs should be "contracted" to Mexican* "crews" and citizens needing those jobs should find dignity on welfare. By now this system has been able to drive down construction wages to minimum, or less if the pay is under the table. It is said if Marxism was put on the ballot in Oregon, it would be voted in. Lots of people feel entitled to a lot but they don't have the opportunity to learn how to work for rewards, IMO.

*"Mexican"=> Literally. Most foreign workers here in the west are from Mexico.

I have never lived in Washington state though I have at times mentioned experiences in that state, including escaping from the Mt. St. Helens eruption and fallout in 1980. Amazingly my husband and I were on the beach in Washington when Ted Bundy snatched a couple girls. We used to travel quite a bit and lived in California part of the time, so I was actually in a lot of places in the west when interesting things happened.
                  I live in California Anna! And you may be right about California having more serial killers than Washington, but I have to say that you have been extremely lucky/blessed. First your neighbor, that was a killer, and now you informed me that you were at the same beach when Ted Bundy picked up some of his victims. You've had some very close calls. I hope you are comfortable and feel safe where you are living now.

Comment

• I have had more close calls than that and I have had more creepy neighbors than the one doing life for murder. Another kid stole and ate women's underwear. Plus, property crimes like burglary and breaking and entering are very low on the enforcement list in Oregon. The criminally minded have long known this fact. Fortunately, where I travel for business at this time is fairly safe from more serious crimes like rape, carjacking, murder, etc. Those things are still mostly done among people involved with drugs and those not involved are not at high risk. I live alone but with dogs and the dogs also travel with me and I am not involved in any crimes or drugs.

Comment

• On a somewhat lighter note, DB Cooper landed in Anna's backyard! That's my new theory which was my first theory!

Comment

• Originally posted by San Fran View Post
                        On a somewhat lighter note, DB Cooper landed in Anna's backyard! That's my new theory which was my first theory!
                        LOL! (I actually never lived in Washington state.) I know the area up and down the river, both sides and have lived on the Oregon side. Like I said we always thought D.B.'s skeleton would be found hanging from a huge blackberry bush. That a packet of money was found years later on the bank of the Columbia River makes me wonder if he landed in the river.

Comment

• Hi Anna, San, Kattrup, Jerry, and Barnett! Do any of you know if Joseph Barnett's wife, Louisa Barnett has ever been traced and identified? Seems so interesting that the two women in Joseph Barnett's life have not positively identified.

Comment

Working...
                          X