No announcement yet.

Points To Ponder- Opinion On Authenticity Of The Ripper As Author Of Dear Boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Points To Ponder- Opinion On Authenticity Of The Ripper As Author Of Dear Boss

Over time, opinions change...not only in real life ( or "off-line" life) but in Ripperology as well.

Where do you stand now on the authenticity of "Dear Boss" ?

Consider that serial killers :

David Berkowitz
    Ted Kacynsk..Kazzink...The Unabomber
    Maury Travis ( black serial killer from St. Louis )
    Zodiac
    Keith Jesperson
    Thomas Dillon
    Peter Kurten
    ...among others ( who I will be adding to the list over time ), all wrote letters to the authorities.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

I guess regardless of anyone's arguments, he could have. The killer could have written that letter, or any letters.
    With no evidence either way we are left with our gut feelings, and I'm not convinced he wrote any of them.

Regards, Jon S.
    Regards, Jon S.
    "
    The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
    " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
    Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.

Comment

My opinion is that he wrote the From Hell letter but none of the others.

The Dear Boss letter penmanship smacks of a man far more educated than Jack probably was. There is merit in this letter having been a Press invention to sell papers. Given the nonexistent morals, scruples, principles, and honesty of today's MSM, that is easy for me to believe.

IMHO, the Dear Boss letter is vastly overrated, whereas one can fairly see the rage boiling off of the From Hell letter.

Besides, which makes the better film title - From Hell or Dear Boss?

Comment

I'm firmly a non-believer. Both Dear Boss and Saucy Jack (as well as the Maybrick Diary, while we're at it) suffer from, for lack of a beter term, over-performing. Most especially, in the case of the letters, knowing that there was a Central News Agency to send it to as opposed to simply sending it to a newspaper.

When I read communications from other killers, I find them chilling. Dear Boss, in all honesty, just makes me think, "someone has too much free time on his hands."

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown
          David Berkowitz
          Ted Kacynsk..Kazzink...The Unabomber
          Maury Travis ( black serial killer from St. Louis )
          Zodiac
          Keith Jesperson
          Thomas Dillon
          Peter Kurten
          Also Gary Ridgway (Green River Killer), BTK, and possibly the Black Dahlia killer.

However, the question we should also be asking, is how many of these guys WOULDN'T have written letters had Jack the Ripper not done so (as was thought he had at the time)?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Franco Loco View Post
            I'm firmly a non-believer. Both Dear Boss and Saucy Jack (as well as the Maybrick Diary, while we're at it) suffer from, for lack of a beter term, over-performing. Most especially, in the case of the letters, knowing that there was a Central News Agency to send it to as opposed to simply sending it to a newspaper.

When I read communications from other killers, I find them chilling. Dear Boss, in all honesty, just makes me think, "someone has too much free time on his hands."
            Hi all

To put it succinctly, Dear Boss is too stagy. Doesn't feel right: the petty criminal lingo, the exact penmanship. Doesn't strike me as being from the same man who slices open women's throats and rips open their abdomens. As I wrote on my blog at Casebook this week, "I have often expressed the view that the only message the killer might have left was in the murders themselves."

All the best

Chris
            Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
            https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
            Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Agree with the above negativity in regards to Dear Boss.....it will always be vaguely plausible that the killer wrote it, there's nothing to exempt it as a possibility, but IMO it's a very slim chance....the only thing we can say with any confidence is that Dear Boss and Saucy Jacky were penned by the same hand.

In my humble view, the only communication with a realistic chance of being from JTR is the From Hell letter, which others have mentioned above - the Goulston Street Graffito also falls into the category of not likely to have been from JTR.

Cheers,
              Adam.

Comment

However, the question we should also be asking, is how many of these guys WOULDN'T have written letters had Jack the Ripper not done so (as was thought he had at the time)?
                ----Tom

Some of those people ( Maury Travis, Peter Kurten, BTK..with his mention of the "x'" factor he shared with the Ripper, and probably some others will surface if we researched further ) certainly were influenced by what they felt the Ripper had done...that being write to the authorities or press, Tom...good point.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

In addition, we might also contemplate whether there were any other instances of a killer ( serial or otherwise ) sending messages or letters to the authorities prior to "Dear Boss".
                  Off the top of my head, I can't think of any.
                  That wasn't an original question, of course, but during the past decade or so, I don't recall anyone ever coming up with an example of a letter to the police or even the press from a killer prior to "Dear Boss'. Maybe someone else has.

Without poking my nose into the papers, didn't Cream write one or two to the authorities ?
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

One other question related to the issue...

Has there ever been an instance of someone involved within the media who fabricated a message which was alleged to have come from a currently active or dormant killer that any of us know of ?
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

There is the "Eight little whores" poem...

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
                        Agree with the above negativity in regards to Dear Boss.....it will always be vaguely plausible that the killer wrote it, there's nothing to exempt it as a possibility, but IMO it's a very slim chance....the only thing we can say with any confidence is that Dear Boss and Saucy Jacky were penned by the same hand.

In my humble view, the only communication with a realistic chance of being from JTR is the From Hell letter, which others have mentioned above - the Goulston Street Graffito also falls into the category of not likely to have been from JTR.

Cheers,
                        Adam.
                        Hello Adam

Yes but why is the From Hell (Lusk) letter more plausible as being from the killer? Is it the scary way it is written? Or is it because it came with the half a kidney? Analysis of the information on the kidney, as Christopher-Michael DiGrazia wrote in "Another Look at the Lusk Kidney," his dissertation on Casebook, shows that the original information on the kidney published in the press was erroneous. It would appear to me that the From Hell letter continues to receive some of its cachet of plausibility because of the lingering idea, conceivably false, that the piece of kidney could have been from Eddowes. I think the hoax letters continue to befuddle and mislead the investigation.

Best regards

Chris
                        Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                        https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                        Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Permit me to pose these questions....

1. Has anyone ever read the letters that the serial killers I mentioned and those that Tom added wrote to the authorities or press ?

2. If you have, you'll notice that certain common elements are presented in those letters, including Dear Boss...notably that the author ( usually ) gloats about his accomplishment, chides the police, dehumanizes or objectifies the victim, and not only admits to whatever crime or crimes have been committed, but leaves the reader with the impression that he wants it clearly known that it was he himself and no other person that committed the deed in question....all, granted, to a varying degree, but nevertheless commonalities within the missives.

Having said that, let me move on to something else for a moment...

Since no one replied to the question about an earlier, pre-WM, killer sending a missive to the press ( most likely none can be recalled or ever existed, certainly, which compare to those sent by all of those mentioned on the s.k. list )...

A. If none existed by or were known to have been written ( in any murder case ) prior to the time of the appearance of Dear Boss to be used as a template of a real missive by a killer....how could the police, specifically Anderson, ascertain whether it was a joke or not in 1888 ?

B. We, on the other hand, are not surprised at all when serial killers send letters to the police, press, or families of victims. They're common features of serial murder cases. Not all or even half of the known serial killers write letters, but enough do so that when we read about them we aren't fazed in the least. That's because we know serial killers do write missives and people like Anderson didn't.

C. As we look at the commonalities which exist in missives sent by say, a Kurten or a Travis, or a Zodiac and the author of Dear Boss...and contemplate what sort of mind wrote the Kurten missives, the Zodiac missives, etc...are we that cocksure that the Ripper didn't author Dear Boss and that the "hoaxing" author of Dear Boss possessed the same sort of mind as these real and authentic serial killers which we've listed ?

In a way, I think that's what we are unintentionally agreeing to....
                          that the author of Dear Boss was on the same wave length as a psychopathic killer.

Your thoughts, please.
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Anderson would have been familiar with pre-1888 threats to the populace by Irish Nationalists which took the form of threatening letters with drawings of coffins and knives and the like

The letters often taken very seriously while others were never acted upon

Comment

I see connections in the mentalities of serial killers who have genuinely written to police,victims, or the press

There is a need for recognition and also mockery of efforts to apprehend him, and sometimes derogatory comments toward the police and victims

How much of those feelings can be related originally to the "Dear Boss" letter?

Even if a fake, the letter has encapsulated a character who does this and so may have affected every serial killer since

Also,once embarked upon, communication for a killer cannot really be anything other than to threaten more killings, to claim victims, to mock efforts to catch him, to revel in the details of his crime, to drop some tentative details of his identity and possibly to cry out for help or capture

Therefore any letter from a modern killer will be a variation on a theme

PS Forgot to say that some of the other obviously hoax letters from the Ripper case show how easy it is for someone to fake the mentality of a killer writing a missive

Comment

Working...
                              X