Point To Ponder: Multiple Murders & The One Killer Theory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point To Ponder: Multiple Murders & The One Killer Theory

No axe to grind, as I'm not sure of Stride being a Ripper victim....but the fact is, is that there are numerous murders found in LVP papers and with similar statements, such as found in the following :

Nottingham Evening Post
    December 20, 1893

Like you perhaps, I've seen a lot of these stories..I mean, a lot.

It seems that whenever these stories appear about murdered and mutilated women, there had been another one or even more than one that closely resembled the murder in question mentioned in the articles. The odds are that the article will state there was a precedent rather than this was an unique or unusual murder.

What I get from this is a sense that one man is committing the murders ( in these stories )..usually in cities with a fraction of the population of London.
    True, London presents more opportunities for a murderer for its sheer size...but since the crimes all emanated in the Whitechapel/Spitalfields area, the killer either lived in the area or focused on the area...which in a sense is the same thing.
    If the Ripper hailed from Lambeth...or say, Bethnal Green....but murdered strictly in the Whitechapel area...to me, thats the same as him living there, in that we know of no murders of prosses in the manner the Whitechapel Victims were murdered....No Annie Chapman-like murders in Lambeth...and No Mary Kelly-like murders in Bethnal Green....or anywhere else, for that matter during the period of 1888-1891.

Now regarding the murders in these smaller towns...in Spain, France, Germany, Italy, or anywhere else, really...I feel the crimes were more likely than not to have been committed by the same man, primarily for the reference to the similarity in previous murders to the present ones.

While not a stalwart Canonical Five person....it does make a person think twice.

If anyone thinks the logic in my 'point' is off kilter, please and by all means, present your views, whether in agreement or disagreement.

Thanks....
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Kobayashi Mitsuya

An example of what I was driving at before....

Nottingham Evening Post
    January 11, 1894
    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Maebashi, ( It is mispelled in the article) 90 miles north of Tokyo, had a population of 35,000 in 1888...
      One guy in a population of 35,000 ( a little more by late 1893, when he committed the last of his murders).....
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
        An example of what I was driving at before....

Nottingham Evening Post
        January 11, 1894
        Hugely interesting and goes to show how diabolical these serial predators can be. I wouldn't have thought pretending to be deaf mute would work well at first, but it would lessen his intended victim's suspicions and perhaps make them even willing to offer him "help" when all they're really doing is being manipulated into assisting at their own murders. This is exactly how I picture Jack. Bravo, Howard.

Comment

Interesting that these two examples illustrated are from the period following the Jack the Ripper murders, at a time when JTR was a byword for infamy all over Europe and the English-speaking world! The Press loves this sort of guilt by association!

Some of these murders may have been different copy-cat killings, regardless of the size of the locality.
          I think the case of Joseph Vacher (often known as the French JTR) is an interesting one as he roamed over a large, sometimes quite remote region, between Normandy and Provence. He attacked both males and females, young and old, stabbing, raping and sodomising, eleven victims in all.

When he was finally caught the authorities had little evidence to connect the murders of shepherd boys in the fields of Belley, a young woman waiting for her lover in a country lane, or a sixty year old widow in the kitchen of her country house.

If Vacher hadn't confessed many of these murders would have been ascribed to a single killer in the local district, a copy-cat or to an enemy of the victim.

Comment

individual details

Hello Curryong. Hence, it may be best to look at each individual killing BEFORE proclaiming either:

1. a single killer

2. a copy cat

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

It is likely the old folk tales of vampires, werewolves and such were created to explain serial killings in more superstitious times. When people went outside the village walls and were later found murdered horribly, especially if this happened with a pattern, folks didn't think about a serial killer. JtR wasn't the first but he put a human name to the phenomenon. We can see that with the old news accounts. Similar murders were happening virtually all over the world and after 1888 JtR became a synonym for serial killer is the victim was cut in any way.

As far as the Japanese man pretending to be disabled, that is what Ted Bundy did in this country. He would appear to be injured and ask young women for help to put things in his car for example. Once near the car he was able to hit them over the head and shove them inside.
              The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

As far as the Japanese man pretending to be disabled, that is what Ted Bundy did in this country. He would appear to be injured and ask young women for help to put things in his car for example. Once near the car he was able to hit them over the head and shove them inside.
                -Anna Morris-

Nothing new under the sun, eh Anna ?
                Bundy and Jeffrey Dahmer ( who also used the 'come on up to my joint and lets have fun' angle ) were model prisoners when incarcerated. As soon as the time came for the veil to drop, they were pretty damned evil.
                I can see the Ripper doing his best to appear like Joe Bloggs or John Q. Public...and then whammo ! Down comes the veil, out comes the knife, and he's off....
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Nottingham Evening Post
                  June 13, 1894
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Nottingham Evening Post
                    August 7, 1894

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Curryong View Post
                      Interesting that these two examples illustrated are from the period following the Jack the Ripper murders, at a time when JTR was a byword for infamy all over Europe and the English-speaking world! The Press loves this sort of guilt by association!

Some of these murders may have been different copy-cat killings, regardless of the size of the locality.
                      I think the case of Joseph Vacher (often known as the French JTR) is an interesting one as he roamed over a large, sometimes quite remote region, between Normandy and Provence. He attacked both males and females, young and old, stabbing, raping and sodomising, eleven victims in all.

When he was finally caught the authorities had little evidence to connect the murders of shepherd boys in the fields of Belley, a young woman waiting for her lover in a country lane, or a sixty year old widow in the kitchen of her country house.

If Vacher hadn't confessed many of these murders would have been ascribed to a single killer in the local district, a copy-cat or to an enemy of the victim.
                      True because of the disparity of the victims. Similar to the Boston Strangler who was believed by police in the 1960's to actually be several separate murderers because victims ranged in age from 80s to teenage and crossed racial boundaries and multi police jurisdictions. But DNA testing, (there's that word again), did prove conclusively Albert DeSalvo was guilty for many of the murders where semen was found and provided the DNA link needed to establish guilt.

It was definitely harder to nail a serial killer in the Victorian era. The work of one, crazed but daring individual could easily be misconstrued by law enforcement of the time as the work of multiple predators.

Comment

'Frisco Strangler

Nottingham Evening Post
                        February 21, 1902

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                          Nottingham Evening Post
                          February 21, 1902

I hope the SFPD of 1902 kept their eyes open. Did the Nottingham Evening Post ever post a followup to this case?

Comment

Is this the Nora Fuller case I read about years ago? A young girl seemingly answered an ad for a babysitter. She answered the advertisment but was found strangled in an empty house. One of her friends said that she wanted to be an actress and had met a man a lot older who promised to help her, by the name of Bennet, I think. The friend said that Nora and this man had fixed up a scam about a job so her mother wouldn't worry. Her mother didn't report Nora missing for some time. I didn't know there were other stranglings though. I thought this one was a stand-out because when I first read it it seemed that Nora, who was 15, had been lured to an empty house. However the address given on the ad turned out to be a vacant lot.

Comment

Curry:

Take a gander at this link....there's a newspaper etching of the poor young girl, a story, and yes, a suspect gave his name as being John Bennett.

http://strangeco.blogspot.com/2014/0...ra-fuller.html
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X