Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Point To Ponder : And His Reason Was......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point To Ponder : And His Reason Was......

Stevi B came up with this idea....the idea being what do you think the Ripper would have used as his excuse for committing the murders ?

This doesn't have to an exercise in exclusivity....if you don't believe in the existence of a Jack The Ripper and believe more than one killer was performing these sidewalk surgeries, thats fine too.

All we want to know is what reason you think he'd give.

I've added a poll.

Multiple choice...more than one answer is kosher.
    A Hatred Of Women...
    11.11%
    Religious Mania ( God Told Him To Do It...)
    0.00%
    Not Really Sure Of Why He Committed The Murders
    11.11%
    It Aroused Him Sexually
    11.11%
    Other
    66.67%
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Thanks How. Here`s my take:
    Stevi
    ---------
    Jack: Why did I do `em? A test. I wanted to see how smart you all are. And you weren`t were you? You couldn`t agree - I had medical skill; oh no I had no anatomical knowledge. You said you had caught me but you chased the wrong guys. And that really pushed me. The more I did, the more confused you got. The police couldn`t see what was under their noses. And the letters? That gave me the best laugh. I didn`t write any of them but I`ll take the credit if it makes you feel better. And, you know what? I bet that if you hadn`t caught me, people 125 years after the last one - and I ain`t saying who she was - would still be arguing about who did it and coming up with theories, maybe I`ve written it all down or may be I haven`t. Maybe I`ve left little traces of who I was and where I`ve been. Maybe some nosey individual thought they`d caught sight of me but where are they now - in this court of law?
    Some people see things as they are and ask: "Why?"
    I dream of things that never were and ask "Why not?" - Kennedy

Comment

Are we talking about a message from Hell, delivered now in 2015, or if he had been caught, say, in 1889?

If it's a message delivered now I don't think there'd be any excuses given. I think there would be an awful lot of gloating about how very clever he was, how much he had enjoyed it all and how stupid and slow and incompetent the police were.

If he was pressed, he might deliver that whiskery old excuse about disgusting prostitutes giving men the clap and therefore the scum didn't deserve to live. A variant of Sutcliffe's remark to his brother's query after his arrest "Just cleaning up the streets, our kid, just cleaning up the streets."

If Jack had been caught in 1889 I believe he would have attempted the raving lunatic act to escape the hangman. I don't think it would have worked, though.
      Last edited by Curryong; January 23, 2015, 02:36 AM. Reason: Change word

Comment

confused

Hello Howard. Interesting poll.

I voted other. I think my lad would have been genuinely confused with the question.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Whatever he claimed to be the reason might not be true anyway.

Comment

Phil:

That is a great point...
            In modern times, the reasons given by captured serial killers sound, if you will forgive me, orchestrated.
            They all have troubled childhoods and the typical reasons we read about.

They are liars, first and foremost, which at times it seems the psychiatrists overlook or underplay in order to get something out of these people.

One of the Chicago Rippers ( a post I provided two days ago ) offered his 'help' in locating a woman's body ( she wasn't murdered in the first place ) in order to get outside of the prison.

There's other examples, too...

Good thinking, Phil.
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I would have thought the only answer any of us could give is 'Not sure', but 8 people have voted and not a one of them selected that. Odd. I guess I'll make my vote and be the first.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Tom:
                Just to clarify....that answer "Not really sure why he committed the murders"...is the hypothetical answer HE would give.

Bob Hinton suggests in 'The Real Jack The Ripper' documentary that after the murders, the Ripper may have not even know he committed them.

Thats a heck of a point and he may be right.

For now, I think he did know what he was doing ( as a believer in the GSG, that would be why I think he knew what he was doing ).
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi Howard, okay it makes more sense now. Personally, my opinion is that the Ripper would never admit to it, even if he was about to hang.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
                  X