Point To Ponder : Mary Jane Lawrence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point To Ponder : Mary Jane Lawrence

On the thread in the link, Mary Kelly is referred to as Mary Jane Lawrence.

https://www.jtrforums.com/showthread...100#post352100

This use of Lawrence surfaces from time to time when we read the papers....even in America and if I'm not mistaken, Australia too.

Umm....has anyone thought of looking for a Mary Jane Lawrence before ?

Kudos to Pat Marshall for mentioning it to me earlier.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

How, I think just about every name that has ever come up will have been researched?

Comment

She was said to have lived with a drover named Lawrence.

Comment

Thanks Gary and Debs....

I asked because I sincerely didn't remember ( I also didn't take the time to look, either ) reading anything on a Lawrence being researched.
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

It doesn't seem right that Joe Barnett, a second generation Irish cockney, would have been a drover. A fish-porter, yes, an orange-seller, yes, but a drover?

Perhaps this Lawrence bloke was yet another MJK admirer.

Comment

I mentioned Jeanette Maria Laurens just yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
              It doesn't seem right that Joe Barnett, a second generation Irish cockney, would have been a drover. A fish-porter, yes, an orange-seller, yes, but a drover?

Perhaps this Lawrence bloke was yet another MJK admirer.
              Similar to Kelly the coalman?

Comment

Didn't you once ponder if the drover Lawrence may have been something to do with Maywood, Gary?

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                  I mentioned Jeanette Maria Laurens just yesterday
                  I know you did.

All we have to do now is find a connection between her and a drover. Under the line, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                    I know you did.

All we have to do now is find a connection between her and a drover. Under the line, of course.
                    Sorry, I wrote that to How. Your post popped up in between times.

Yes, all below the belt.

Comment

Didn't you once ponder if the drover Lawrence may have been something to do with Maywood, Gary?
                      Maywood was described as a drover by Charles Booth's investigator in 1887. He also suggested that 1, BH, where Maywood was living, was a brothel.

Comment

Similar to Kelly the coalman?
                        Coalman, fish-porter, orange-seller, drover... spot the odd one out.

Comment

For what it's worth=> Mary was fond of another man named Joe who ill used her. (Is there a Joe the drover anywhere in the picture?)
                          The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

I realize the account in the November 10, 1888 London Standard has some seemingly inaccurate information, but it does mention the drover was living in the same house and went by the name of Jack. It stated Mary was his mistress.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
                              I realize the account in the November 10, 1888 London Standard has some seemingly inaccurate information, but it does mention the drover was living in the same house and went by the name of Jack. It stated Mary was his mistress.
                              Yes, Jerry, and that always seemed a bit odd to me. A drover was typically someone who brought livestock in from the provinces, either to the Metropolitan Cattle Market or the docks, and then returned to Wales, Scotland or rural England, not a second generation Irish cockney like Joe B. By 1888, I imagine a lot of livestock arrived by train.

Mrs Hewitt's drover was named Lawrence, had lived in the same house as MJK and spoke about a potential summons in his name. She also said that he was frequently absent (from London?).

Apart from the name, that description seems to fit Stephen Maywood better than Joe Barnett.

Comment

Working...
                              X