No announcement yet.

David Janett & Mary Jane Davies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Janett is a rare name in the UK, even with the many spelling variations possible. Some sources bring up David Janett, born 1861, living in Neath, Glamorganshire in 1871. I cannot find a more detailed census report to learn about the family. The LDS site cannot find David Janett with any spelling.

The name has deep French links and there are some elabourate spellings. Maybe those Janetts mostly went to Canada.

If only the surname is entered in the LDS site, a number of Janetts come up in London, Middlesex. There were a lot of them in Hackney. One was in St. George in the East and I will stick that clip here at the bottom.

Since I am pondering all these things, if Mary Jane Davies, mother of David Janett's illegitimate child = MJK, might she have gone to London to stay with a Janett relative? COULD a female Janett = the French lady?

(Van Jennett is also Dutch. Any connection to Morgensterns?)

I don't think so but it is worth considering. It looks like David Janett was born in Wales which would weaken any French connection in the first place. Mostly what I want to gain is more family names so David Janett can be traced through records.

With all the research that has been done on STGITE, this Janett family might be interesting in general.
    Attached Files
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

For what it's worth, and I think not much, MANY Davies babies in Neath, Glamorganshire, died in 1881-1883. I had to narrow the search that much because too many thousands of people named Davies died in any given year even just in Glamorganshire.

With this line of thinking I am wondering if the illegitimate child of David Janett and Mary Jane Davies died very young. Some of the names of the babies I found in this search on BMD were some I had considered previously as a maybe.

One girl that died in 1881, age 0, had the forename Janett. Lots of women in Wales have that name so that is not remarkable but when one is pondering there are all kinds of possibilities.

Comment

I think I may have found David Jannett in some Neath census records, Anna, he looks like he might have been brought up as a neighbour of Mary Davies. I'll try and make some sense of the records so I can follow them through and post them later.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
          For what it's worth, and I think not much, MANY Davies babies in Neath, Glamorganshire, died in 1881-1883. I had to narrow the search that much because too many thousands of people named Davies died in any given year even just in Glamorganshire.

With this line of thinking I am wondering if the illegitimate child of David Janett and Mary Jane Davies died very young. Some of the names of the babies I found in this search on BMD were some I had considered previously as a maybe.

One girl that died in 1881, age 0, had the forename Janett. Lots of women in Wales have that name so that is not remarkable but when one is pondering there are all kinds of possibilities.
          Davies is of course one of the most common of Welsh names, as you must realize by now, other such names being the likes of Griffiths, Jones, Morgan, and Williams.

Best regards

Chris
          Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
          https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
          Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
            Anna,

Have you seen Gavin and Stacey?

Gary
            You might recognize Stacey, as she appeared in From Hell.

Comment

If I have the right couple the name of the child born in 1881, subject of the newspaper clip was named Alice.

David Janett was born in 1861 in Margam, the son of John and Hannah Janett.
              John was a finer? in an ironworks in 1871 living next door to a Davies family with a daughter Mary born in 1858.
              There were three sons in the family in 71, two working in the ironworks.

In 1881 David is a refiner in a tin works living with his parents John and Hannah and one of his brothers. Mary Davies is still the girl next door, aged 23 she is living with her parents. Her father also works at the tin works.

And crucially-In 1891 David 30, is living with wife Mary J, 31, and children Alice 10, Thomas, John and David. All born in Neath. The Davies still live next door, minus daughter Mary. A David Jarrett and Mary Jane Davies married in Neath in 1883 and in some census entries the family also appear with that surname, rather than Janett.

Comment

I don't think the Mary who lived next door is the right woman. There's another Mary Jane Davies, an unemployed parlour maid aged 21 living with her parents Thomas, a stone mason and Mary Ann his wife with a 3 month old grand daughter named Alice Jane in Water St, Neath.She seems to be a better fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                  I don't think the Mary who lived next door is the right woman. There's another Mary Jane Davies, an unemployed parlour maid aged 21 living with her parents Thomas, a stone mason and Mary Ann his wife with a 3 month old grand daughter named Alice Jane in Water St, Neath.She seems to be a better fit.
                  Ah....well...it was fun while it lasted. I am glad the story seems to have a happy ending.

The Points to Ponder were too good to be true.

Thanks, Debs, for all the help!

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                    Ah....well...it was fun while it lasted. I am glad the story seems to have a happy ending.

The Points to Ponder were too good to be true.

Thanks, Debs, for all the help!
                    No problem, Anna. It was a very interesting snippet you found and one day something like that that may lead us to the woman known as MJK.

Comment

Working...
                    X