***Ripperologist Wish List***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Ripperologist Wish List***

I need a new waistline. Friggin' Yuri Ga-ga-ga-garin would need a week to orbit around my jeans.
    FYI...I just hadda parmesan meatball sandwich.

Whattabout the rest of youse ?

Any special wants for this Yule season ?
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

I'm finally getting a Kindle. I don't know that I'll read too many books on it for fun (I love paperbacks in bed) but I can see it as a valuable 'word searchable' research tool. I hear there are tons of old books that you can download for free, plus I see books on Amazon that I don't necessarily want to pay $25 plus shipping for, but wouldn't mind dropping $7.99 on.

Oh, and a parmesan meatball sandwich would hit the spot!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
      Whattabout the rest of youse? Any special wants for this Yule season?
      Yeah, I desperately need some snow. About an hour ago here in Berlin it started snowing for the first time this season, but it soon turned to rain and there's hardly any snow left on the ground. Dammit.
      I also want triple jumps (in figure skating) for 2012. I'm close to landing the triple Toeloop (esp. if I start training again, after a long hiatus), and I also want the triple Lutz. And I'd like to learn the Loop jump, which is the only one I can't do yet. A double loop would be nice. And I need to lose some weight too. 15 pounds would be ideal.
      Best regards,
      Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
        I'm finally getting a Kindle. I don't know that I'll read too many books on it for fun (I love paperbacks in bed) but I can see it as a valuable 'word searchable' research tool. I hear there are tons of old books that you can download for free, plus I see books on Amazon that I don't necessarily want to pay $25 plus shipping for, but wouldn't mind dropping $7.99 on.

Oh, and a parmesan meatball sandwich would hit the spot!

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
        Tom,
        If you get a Kindle as a research tool would you mind conveying your impressions to Ripperologist? We're looking at several e-readers in this context - how well do they handle notes, is there need for an index (and if so should the index be at the front of an ebook and hypertext), do you need to flicking from one part to another & how easy is it to do it, can you transfer notes to your desktop or laptop machine. What sort of non-fiction research are they good for (encyclopedic types, any non-fiction). Any practical user experiences of the ebook in research/writing would be interesting.
        Cheers
        Paul

Comment

I asked for an apple tv. If Santa brings me one I can stream my movies and music from my mac, which saves burning dvd's.

Comment

I am waiting for a sizeable cheque care of some bank that miss sold me ppi so I am hoping on a new tv, blu ray, and iphone. I have been looking at Kindles but I have it on good authority that the next generation of colour Kindles will be launched next year so I am waiting.

Comment

I want that sanwhich, Howie, and I want it now!!!!! ( missed lunch)

I'm one of those terrible people who can never think of anything I want --drives Mr. Mags crazy.

Comment

Hello all,

I'd genuinely like all my friends and family to get what they truly desire this Xmas.. be it a non nagging wife, a non drinking hubby, a tv, a pc, an electric train set or even a Chelsea Teddy Bear. (Yes, I do have one)

After that... my dearest wish would be to recieve an email from someone in the ripper community (or not perhaps) with scans of new documents that are genuinely old and have never seen the light of day that would help us all take a step forward. Perhaps not closer, but forward. Something to open up the genre for us all to investigate. Some facts that we have not seen before. Something of real content.

(The rest of the very incomplete Kelly file would be a start..heh heh)

Merry Xmas all

Phil
                from 1905...to 19.05..it was written in the stars

Comment

I would like to know whether it really is the Higgs boson that gives mass to the universe, as I'd always thought that was the Pope.

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                    After that... my dearest wish would be to recieve an email from someone in the ripper community (or not perhaps) with scans of new documents that are genuinely old and have never seen the light of day that would help us all take a step forward. Perhaps not closer, but forward.
                    I'm expecting an email like this any minute from Lynn (with an AF scan which, alas, could end up being illegible).

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                    I would like to know whether it really is the Higgs boson that gives mass to the universe, as I'd always thought that was the Pope.
                    De Lockley?
                    Best regards,
                    Maria

Comment

Hi Paul,

I actually planned to start moving what Rips I could onto my Kindle (which will be the new 'Fire' model). I'm not sure that older issues were produced to work on Kindle, were they? I have no clue about all this technology, but my girlfriend is into this stuff and will help me. I'd be happy to give you whatever feedback I can.

I'm hoping that Ripper books such as A-Z, Ultimate, etc are on Kindle. I'll be bugging people for sources once I have it and know my way around it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Hi Tom, please try before you buy:
                        http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...th_review.html

Comment

Hi String, thanks for that. I just read it through. It still sounds good for me because I'm not planning to use it for movies or internet (except Amazon, which is one of the sites I most often frequent). I picked that model because it's the only one in color and my main purpose will be for books, which is what I equate Amazon with anyway. As long as the functions it DOES have work, and it's user friendly, I should be in business.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

I'd like to know what Catherine Eddowes' BAC was at 1 AM on September 30.

AND if there was any primitive surveillance footage outside Fanny Mortimer's house....

Cheers,
                            Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                              Hi Paul,

I actually planned to start moving what Rips I could onto my Kindle (which will be the new 'Fire' model). I'm not sure that older issues were produced to work on Kindle, were they? I have no clue about all this technology, but my girlfriend is into this stuff and will help me. I'd be happy to give you whatever feedback I can.

I'm hoping that Ripper books such as A-Z, Ultimate, etc are on Kindle. I'll be bugging people for sources once I have it and know my way around it.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                              Hi Tom
                              Any feedback you can would be interesting. Only the last few issues of Ripperologist have been produced for the Kindle and neither the A to Z nor, I believe, the Ultimate, is available for it either, but I'm wondering whether e-publication is the way all such reference publishing will go or whether books are so quick and easy to use that they'll remain the professional's reference medium of choice.
                              Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X