*** Ideas For 2012- Members Speak***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *** Ideas For 2012- Members Speak***

Since we have two weeks to go in 2011....I thought I would set this thread up to ask members what they'd like to see more of in terms of articles or anything, really, to suit your tastes.

Thanks !
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Do you mean to say, as in articles published in the Ripperological mags, or as in newspaper clippings posted here (by you), How?

Pertaining to the latter, I'd be interested in seeing any newspaper reports mentioning Ostrog's criminal activities under the con name "Dr. Grant", as I currently have nil time to research this. (But I'm planning to do this later on, after subscribing to www.newspaperarchive.com in late January/early February, hoping that by then their site runs a bit better.)
    Best regards,
    Maria

Comment

Hi How. More on the non-canonicals would be good, if others are likewise interested.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

We know very little about what some of the victims/suspects looked like. I would like to see some photographs and drawings of them.

Comment

Maria:

I did try a few weeks ago to locate articles on Ostrog under the alias of Grant....couldn't locate any, but I'll try again for certain.

Tom:

Will do.

Phil :

Will do likewise

Thanks for the input so far...and please keep it going
          To Join JTR Forums :
          Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Walton
            We know very little about what some of the victims/suspects looked like. I would like to see some photographs and drawings of them.
            Anyone in particular you're thinking of?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

How, a weekly or monthly update on what's been discovered and by whom, would be welcome. I realise that might involve a measure of selection, but the truth is, when it gets to the end of the year and you want our votes for the discoveries, half of it I can't remember, and the other half I'm unsure whether it happened this year or the year before or the year before that....

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                a weekly or monthly update on what's been discovered and by whom, would be welcome.
                But doesn't the thread Note these new posts and threads serve that purpose? Maybe if it could get updated more frequently?
                Best regards,
                Maria

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                  Maria: I did try a few weeks ago to locate articles on Ostrog under the alias of Grant....couldn't locate any, but I'll try again for certain.
                  Same here, which has me wondering: Did Ostrog really engage in any criminal activities under the con name "Dr. Grant"? I'm gonna look further, but later on, presently I can't. Plus I want to research Ostrog further in the Paris criminal records for his previous arrest in the summer of 1886 (which is mentioned in his Paris court hearing from November 1888).
                  Best regards,
                  Maria

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                    Anyone in particular you're thinking of?

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
                    No one in particular, but there are probably some photos out there that have never been seen.

Comment

Phillip, drawings quite possibly, but photos unlikely, though it's possible one or two mortuary ones are undiscovered. People like the victims of JTR just didn't have their pics taken. Neal Shelden managed to locate a wedding photo of Chapman, but I can't see anything else turning up.

Comment

I know this is a big ask and it probably can't be done with the existing software but I think the site should be modernised. The forum is of course the backbone of the site but if there was a way of incorporating the forum into a bigger site so that there were areas such as a photo gallery, maybe video gallery, podcast area and you could also have and area for people to make contributions, maybe essays. These essays could then be debated over on the forums.
                        You are correct to say well we can do that now but I'm more concerned with the aesthetics so having those parts separate for any new and old users in an easily searchable section might be useful. Younger users especially expect a more flashy modern site.
                        Oh yes make the site more mobile friendly with iPads, mobile phones etc becoming more common this would be good too.

Comment

Hello How,

I would like the following, although a big ask, for 2012..

Locating the REST of the photo album that the victims photos tuerned up in and what were the other photos? Surely the WHOLE album wasnt just two pages?

In the tv programme about the finding of the Littlechild letter, the previous owner before Stewart mentioned , I believe, the words.. "amongst" papers re the WM... I would like to see the other items ..although I may be mistaken? I do not know if Stewart bought these as well, so it would be wrong to ask him to kindly produce something that he may not have, but may know where they are? My sincerest apologies to anyone if this comment has been misunderstood..as in the film I believe we saw the previous owner opening a ribboned bundle?

Just a couple of wishes that perhaps may help in some small way, and may indeed give this site a minor coup?

Seasons greetings to all

Phil
                          from 1905...to 19.05..it was written in the stars

Comment

I agree with String actually, this forum is only becoming more and more popular as well as populated, so perhaps if there was some sort of sub-section with other info and essays submitted by forums members, etc, it would add another interesting dimension - not only that but a good entrance platform for newer Ripperologists or those who have not published their work in the field before and are a little apprehensive about leaping straight into a periodical for it. Much easier to provide real time feedback and so forth.....but of course it is a big ask and would require the co-operation of other members.

I also wouldn't mind seeing other angles covered such as the opinions of prominent Victorians on the JTR case and its surrounding issues.....occasionally we stumble across these like I did recently with the Dickens comments on hop-picking. We've seen so many fascinating newspaper reports discovered that I think this would add a fascinating aside from those who were there and had a reputation at the time.

In any case, best of luck to all for 2012 and beyond...

Cheers,
                            Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                              Phillip, drawings quite possibly, but photos unlikely, though it's possible one or two mortuary ones are undiscovered. People like the victims of JTR just didn't have their pics taken. Neal Shelden managed to locate a wedding photo of Chapman, but I can't see anything else turning up.
                              You never know...

Comment

Working...
                              X