Gettin' Back to the Basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gettin' Back to the Basics

In addition to our seminal work on Donston....I'm going to get back with one of the fun aspects of the site....cryptograms,Who I Am,and Brit word of the week right after the Holidays and my recuperatin' from Turkey Day.

Be prepared folks...
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Yay!!

You rock, How!

"The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Comment

Magpie:

Its all part of an effort to get things back on course...a friendly atmosphere with the Ripper-related and especially non-Ripper related items which as we have shown in being conducive to attracting other people out in cyberspace to the field.

A lot of people have a marginal interest in the Case. I hear theories from people at work,in conversation,all over the joint...even a black lady at the supermarket ( Of course,as Ambassador of All Things Rip, I always bring up the Ripper in a conversation...always. ) who thinks the po-leece were behind it.

Her name is Gloria The Checkout Lady... and since we share an arthritic condition,I suggested she get a cortisone shot in the sole of her foot. She shuddered when I said that....but I told her that it wouldn't be like JTR was giving her this needle.

One thing segued into another.and eventually,a few weeks later,she asked me, "Howard,has they thought about the po-leece?" since I told her the police could not apprehend the Ripper despite the unorthodox ways they attempted to catch JTR.

Hopefully,a nice sized list of the old features will appear this weekend since I have not had two days off in succession since July.

Thanks for the comments,Magpie.
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I have long wondered if it was a po-leece person. Why not? He kwould know the routine, the schedules, how the cops would react. He might know the victims personally, perhaps having rousted them in times past (or not, which would give them a reason to feel 'generous'.)

You automatically feel at ease with a cop(per). They wear a uniform. That means they can't be the bad guys. Or can they?

TimeRover

Comment

Originally posted by TimeRover
          You automatically feel at ease with a cop(per). They wear a uniform. That means they can't be the bad guys. Or can they?
          I would question that assumption in East End London, 1888, TRover. The cops were not at the top of most people's happy-list in that time and place.

Although of course, not liking the cops is not the same as assuming one is going to slit your throat and fondle yer innards, but neither were they local "heroes" to any extent.
          "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Comment

Originally posted by TimeRover
            I have long wondered if it was a po-leece person. Why not? He kwould know the routine, the schedules, how the cops would react. He might know the victims personally, perhaps having rousted them in times past (or not, which would give them a reason to feel 'generous'.)

TimeRover
            Hi Jana

I don't know, Jana. There always have been bent coppers or law enforcement people in every time period. And I agree with Magpie, the people of the East End might not have felt comfortable with coppers, seeing that a lot of them would have been involved in petty thievery and other illegal activities, including the prostitution in which the victims engaged. To some extent, coppers would have been the enemy to many in the East End also because they represented the establishment, the upper crust: even if the cops themselves were not of the upper classes, they were the law enforcement arm, keeping the poor down, many, such as the blokes in the Berner Street club or someone like Albert Bachert, likely would have felt.

Best regards

Chris
            Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
            https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
            Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Jana,Mag,& C.G.

Real quick in and out here...

While the notion that complicity in the crimes could be linked to a "bad cop' will make some people smirk or roll their eyes, I need not remind anyone of the several instances of actual serial killing and out and out murderous misuse of a policepersons' authority that have been committed by a rogue cop...or perhaps two.

A second cousin of mine,a disgraced Philly cop named Leo Ryan...and whom some people may have seen on A&E in a documentary entitled "When Cops Go Bad"...didn't murder anyone,but was part of the infamous "Five Squad" ( He being its leader ) who shook down P2P distributors ( ironically,of them being the father of a friend of mine ) for money in the most brazen and risky manner back in the 1980's. He had a complete and total indifference to what consequences his criminal behavior would bear. He had time to think about this in prison.

Misuse of Authority has led to far worse social results than the murder of 5 non-descript prostitutes ( Not to us,of course,but to the average "citizen"....).

Its concievable,since police will treat citizens of one neighborhood differently ( no matter how much some will deny this fact.... since its only human nature ) than another and "opportunities" exist in some neighborhoods that don't present themselves in others is a likewise a fact...........its possible,not for any shakedown,since these women had nothing to shake.....but its possible that a real "bad seed" on the level of a Gerard Schaefer existed in the East End....
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
              X