What We "owe" Jack The Ripper.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What We "owe" Jack The Ripper.....

Before youse cut my head off,let me elaborate...

Over on another thread, Time Rover commented that there seems to be "something" in the air....as several of us ( starting with Lyn and Vila ) are getting married,getting engaged,or living together over the past 12 months or so...

Well...I only hope that Dan and Kelly...as well as my old goombah,Stan Russo and his fiance,have the same happiness that yours truly and Nina are experiencing now.

Ripperology,despite the perpetual bickering....despite the battles over positions on aspects...despite the ego clashes...and all that counter productive activity....has been the starting point for some great friendships and relationships that will endure long into the future...

Imagine it....that an unknown individual ( or individuals ) who viciously annihilated a handful of unfortunate women 119 years ago...a continent away....could be the primary reason for all these great friendships.

In the recent Ripperologist ( number 80 ), editor Donald Souden touched on how Ripperologists have become familiar with each other through JTR...mostly on superficial levels and via the Internet.

Yet...in at least three recent instances,real life romance has been the result of the mutual interest each person shares over this Case.

I consider myself truly blessed...to be able to focus on the three elements of my life that mean the most. My Nina...my family...and Ripperology and all the people within the field.

How about you?
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

For me it's a way to share my interest in curiosity, social history and personality. The neverending pursuit of answers. And when you have a possible conclusion, question it even further.

Will any of us ever be satisfied to learn the identity of JTR or will we still keep on wondering if we're missing something?

My 'meeting of like-minded individuals' has only been through reading books or society publications/TV with the knowledge there are others that are similarly interested. As a Casebook member in the early days I didn't get involved, due to lack of time.

I think it is wonderful that so many friendships (and more) have been formed.

I have never met anyone (apart from brief writing relating chats online) that was interested in JTR or SH during all the years when I was researching and writing.

So you can imagine my surprise earlier this week when my ex-husband popped round and saw a book on the kitchen counter.

He asked if it was about Sherlock Holmes as it was about Victorian crime. I said no, it has a lot about JTR and mentioned that the very first message boards that I'd ever used on the internet was the Casebook. Then he really shocks me by saying that he used to visit that site too and then began reeling off a list of books he's read on the subject.

Up that this point I never realised we had anything in common!

Comment

How, I suppose it is inevitable that a shared interest will help push similar souls to become soul mates, and more power to their elbow I say.
      There is much to this business that is totally negative, obviously I would say, for we deal with the wholesale slaughter of innocent women cut out on the limb of the masculine viciousness of the Late Victorian Period.
      However there are also the positive aspects, where an interest generated by so much negativity can result in the positive type of relationship developing of which you speak.
      And this is surely right and good.
      For I believe that the vital spark that the Whitechapel Murderer failed to capture in his early youth, and which poisoned his mind against women in particular and everyone else in general, is still available to anyone who is just prepared to turn another page and get to the end of the story, rather than claiming that the book is finished.
      And that is much like believing Peter Pan can fly.
      But he can can't he?
      I met my beloved partner through an investigation into a more modern murder case, and between us we have turned that very negative experience into something very solid and positive.
      You can either mine diamonds or buy them.

Comment

I would hate to owe anything to Jack. Perhaps it is not what we owe Jack, but what we owe the victims? For if it wasn't for their tragic lives, none of us would be studying this case and communnicating, starting friendships and for some of you, special relations

Lets give thanks to the victims , not saucy Jacky.

Comment

Well, I reckon Jack owes me a few hundred quid in Ancestry subscriptions, Ripper mag subscriptions, etc etc. If it wasn't for him I could have blown that lot on doughnuts.

I have made several friendships of much value to me as a result of this case. Plus, I can talk to people from all corners of the circular globe. Can't be bad.

Robert

Comment

PS I'm jiggered if I'm getting married. I like to know roughly what's going to happen from one second to the next.

Comment

I didn't know Russo met his intended through JtR. Who is this mystery woman?

Comment

Dear Kelly,

No, Stan's fiance is a civilian.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Ah, How, that is such an excellent question -- what do we "owe" Jack? It was such a good question I've been pondering on it for the last few days.

Jack opened my eyes to the LVP. Prior to visiting Casebook, I'd only read a couple books about that era. Or skimmed them, I should say, as they were set in the West End and were all about glittering balls and doe-eyed young ladies meeting the men of their dreams. They just didn't ring true.

Then I started digging around Casebook, reading the police files, the newspapers, contemporary accounts of Jack and his world. I was hooked. This was real life at its most gritty. This I could resonate with. For me, the prize was a glimpse into the past, what it was like to live in 1888. The human struggle to survive each day and greet the next knowing it was going to be just as much of a b*tch as the last.

Jack was my "gateway drug" into the Victorian Era. I wouldn't have written my books if he hadn't whispered to me from the shadows, offering to act as a guide on that dark journey.

TimeRover

Comment

Dear Jana:

I got the same effect when I began to read more about the LVP either on websites or Casebook's newspaper archives myself....and yet knew of the effects of the Industrial Revolution on the people within the cities....but for some reason,always thought of horse drawn carriages and tea time and splendidly dressed men and women whenever the "old days" were mentioned. As an American,you know that when people talk of the "old days" over here,we invariably conjure up England and/or the Victorian days even if we ain't English.

In a way,its strange that we somehow "block out" the awful conditions endured by the majority of the Londoners...since Americans always like to look at themselves as "sticking up for the little guy". Maybe its the way history teachers and their agendas in schools like to create a more positive perception of the effects of capitalism,I don't know...

Even the mythology of the Ripper killing women in general and not from a particular class or vocation still exists. Its as if the work of Ripperologists and in his own way,the Ripper, corrected this perception...

Thanks for your reply,Jana.
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hows got a lady friend? Geez I hope no one from the Ripper community tells her about him. Seriously How Im glad you hooked up with such a lovely lady. I wish you all the happiness in the world!
                      Debie and I have been together for 3 years now. Im happy and I think we'll do what neither one of us said we'd EVER do.....make it legal. With us the common bond is agriculture , Appaloosa horses, and working in the health care field. She has no clue about Ripperology. Shes Country and Im head banger and rock. Shes an early riser (5 AM) and I sleep til noon. (But I work all nite). She hates gardening, and I fill our freezers with vegies. Shes in charge of rsaising beef. lol the bull she kicks around I wouldnt want to mess with. Its all good and Imglad to see all my old friends happy. Funny the road life takes us, and where we end up.Anyway How... lol, you go boy!

Comment

She has no clue about Ripperology...-Brad

Bring her on over here to keep me company,Big Mac....I have no clue either.

Thanks for the kind remarks,buddy...
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

What do I 'owe' Jack?

My childhood interest in JTR (it scared me), led me to an enduring interest in the East End (it fascinated me). This in turn led me to researching the history of this area of London for a book that never got finished.

But my continuing interest in JTR led me to internet sites such as this and my enthusiasm was rekindled. I finally met others who shared this enthusiasm as well as joining the Whitechapel Society, a group that as far as suitablity for membership was concerned had my name stamped all over it.

This enabled me to fuse my interests in writing and researching into the act of penning articles, finally an ideal outlet for this 'obscure' hobby of mine. Thus the book I had been sporadically plodding away between 1986 and 1991 was restarted and, with the added advantage of a new-found confidence in my subject matter, finished.

A publisher has now taken it on board and is due to start work on it very soon for publication early next year.

It has been a long, stop-start journey, but I am excited about the next stage.

I owe Jack that, I guess!
                          JB

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy View Post
                            My childhood interest in JTR (it scared me), led me to an enduring interest in the East End (it fascinated me). This in turn led me to researching the history of this area of London for a book that never got finished.

But my continuing interest in JTR led me to internet sites such as this and my enthusiasm was rekindled. I finally met others who shared this enthusiasm as well as joining the Whitechapel Society, a group that as far as suitablity for membership was concerned had my name stamped all over it.

This enabled me to fuse my interests in writing and researching into the act of penning articles, finally an ideal outlet for this 'obscure' hobby of mine. Thus the book I had been sporadically plodding away between 1986 and 1991 was restarted and, with the added advantage of a new-found confidence in my subject matter, finished.

A publisher has now taken it on board and is due to start work on it very soon for publication early next year.

It has been a long, stop-start journey, but I am excited about the next stage.

I owe Jack that, I guess!
                            JB

Hello Jimmy

Excellent news about your upcoming book publication. The best of luck with the project, mate.

Chris
                            Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                            https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                            Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Jimmy
                              Congratulations! That's really great news about your book. We'd all do the research no matter what, but it's even nicer when it turns into a project someone else is willing to publish. If nothing more than for us to say to our families/significant others "See, I wasn't wasting time on the computer! Honest!"

TimeRover

Comment

Working...
                              X