2007 Year in Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007 Year in Review

How has asked me to create a thread about notable events in the world of Ripperology for 2007. Stay tuned for details!
    "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Okay, I'd like to start off on a personal note (okay more of a footnote). 2007 was my debut as a published Ripper researcher, thanks to the kind folks at Ripperologist. Not earthshattering, but personally satisfying nonetheless.

Comment

Late breaking Walter Sickert News.

On October 25, the prestigious Courtauld gallery opened an exhibition of Walter Sickert's paintings, including his infamous "Camden Town Murders".

The exhibition runs until June 20th of next year, and provoked a small flurry of articles rehashing Cornwell's accusations that Sickert was the Ripper.

In a related story this year, Cornwell apparently has not finished her character assassination...um, I mean investigation...of Sickert, being quoted as saying she was waiting for 2012, when the copyright on Sickert's private correspondence expires. The suggestion being that something in that correspondence that will bolster her case against Sickert.

(on a side note, according the "Mayan Prophecies", the world is supposed to end in 2012. If I had to chose between Cornwell or the Mayans being correct, I'd give the Mayans a slight edge)

Comment

A New Ripper Suspect

In April, Charles van Onselen released the book The Fox and The Flies, naming Victorian pimp and racketeer Joseph Silver as The Ripper. The accusation doesn't appear to be supported by much other than Silver's presence in London at the time of the murders and the author's belief that Silver fits the psychological profile of the killer.

Those who have read the book have generally considered it to be a worthwhile read, if somewhat dry. None of them have found Silver to be a particularly convincing candidate for the Ripper, however it will be interesting to see what further study of this colourful character yields.

Comment

Abberline Commemorated (finally)

Seventy-eight years after his death, Frederick Abberline finally got a grave marker this summer, thanks to the efforts of Ripperologists and former Met officers. Stonemason Matt Williams donated the headstone, and descendents of Abberline granted permission for it to be placed on the grave of the late Ripper investigator.

Comment

Ripper on the Tube.

2007 saw a couple of TV documentaries on The Ripper.

Vic Reeves Investigates Jack the Ripper got a lot of press, although it didn't air in Canada, so I can't really comment on it.

Another one wasn't entirely new, but interesting nonetheless. Last year internationall famous Ripper guide Phil Hutchinson took part in a three part documentary about the Freemasons. Phil waxed eloquent about the Masonic Ripper Conspiracy theories (and the absurdity thereof). Well this year the production company released a one-part, one-hour version of the same documentary. Although relegated to a few minutes toward the end, Phil still comes off well, despite some horrendously inaccurate "reconstructions" providing the visuals.

Comment

Obscure Ripper Story Of The Year

In March, 2007 it was reported that Scalby Manor of Scarborough, former home of Edwin Brough (owner and trainer of Burgho and Barnaby) would be demolished to make way for a new hotel.

The Manor, formerly called Wyndgate, was built in 1885 for Mr. Brough. Both The Blood Hound Club and Association of Bloodhound Breeders objected to the proposed developement, citing Mr. Brough's historical importance in the history of Blood Hound breeding. The Scarborough Civic Society where similarly upset to lose what they consider to be an example of "modest 19th century gentleman's estate". The Scarborough Planning council, while acknowledging the buildings' historical significance, declared that they weren't significant enough in comparison to the potential profitability of the new hotel.

Here's the original story (I haven't yet found a follow up that states whether the demolition took place as planned)

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/local...ave.2181502.jp

Comment

Another Ripper-related (sort of) location was lost when the cotton warehouses of Norfolk, Virginia were demolished. Despite objections from local historical groups, local authorities declared that the demolition was required to solve the safety issues arising from homeless people squatting in the abandoned structures.

James Maybrick worked at the Cotton Exchange in the 1870's--a connection included by opponents of the demolition in their arguments.

Comment

To help out here, its necessary to mention the passing of David M. Radka in January of 2007. Mr. Radka was 54 years old.

In a positive vein,the community was blessed with a proliferation of work emanating from the Promethean brow of Gavin Bromley.
                  To Join JTR Forums :
                  Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Michael Covell's extraordinary chronological work on Robert Stephenson.

Robert Clack and Phil Hutchinson's work, "The London of Jack The Ripper".
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Kelly Robinson and Dan Norder announced their engagement...All the best to these good people for many many years.

The Bournemouth Convention was a successful venture forging new friendships and solidifying old ones....and much of the success is due to Adam Wood, Claudia Aliffe and Andy Aliffe...three of the finest people one could meet anywhere,anytime.
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Also of note -- the publication of Evans and Rumbelow's SCOTLAND YARD INVESTIGATES. Excellent book.

And, if I may, (humbly) mention that my first book in the Time Rovers Series (SOJOURN) was nominated for ten awards and won seven of those (oddly enough one for each letter in the title). I mention this ONLY because it allowed a number of new readers to become acquainted with the brutal realities of Victorian London, its people and the effect Jack had on the terrified populace. On a personal level, this year has been deeply satisfying, a validation that it does pay to do all that endless research.

TimeRover

Comment

...and may I humbly say that I engage in the nightly, "Read To Me, Howie..." and SOJOURN is currently being read, chapter by excellent chapter, to Nina.

Lets not forget the other Jana Oliver novel, "VIRTUAL EVIL"... which will be the next Jana Oliver book to recieve awards. I predict that here and now. I have spoken !

Thanks for mentioning the success of Ripper-fiction, Jana... and may I remind you that you and Mr. Bill Perring have a thread for Ripper-fiction authors on the site..
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                            Kelly Robinson and Dan Norder announced their engagement...All the best to these good people for many many years.

The Bournemouth Convention was a successful venture forging new friendships and solidifying old ones....and much of the success is due to Adam Wood, Claudia Aliffe and Andy Aliffe...three of the finest people one could meet anywhere,anytime.
                            Hi Howie

I think you probably mean the Wolverhampton Conference. The Bournemouth Conference was held in 2001 and Donna and myself and a few intrepid residents of North America made it because it occurred in the aftermath of 9/11.

All the best

Chris
                            Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                            https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                            Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Dear C.G.

Ah yeah....my mistake. It was Wolverhampton.
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X