The future of JTRForums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The future of JTRForums

I thought it might be helpful to start a discussion thread with a focus on what can be done to ensure that the invaluable research posted here over the years continues to be available and that - if possible - the site can continue as an active discussion forum.

To start on a positive note, with the generous help of two other members of the forum, the Photobucket account - which was due for renewal later this month, and which hosts images linked from discussion threads - has now been renewed on a monthly basis. (The cost per month is not much greater than if renewed annually, and monthly hosting obviously gives us more flexibility.)

Regarding the main site, I think any suggestions and opinions about the best way forward would be very helpful.

My feeling is that the most important thing is that the research that's been posted here shouldn't be lost. So a high priority should be an online archive of the discussion threads. I'm inclined to think that should be done in any case, whether or not the forums continue actively, and regardless of what form they continue in.

If people want to help, there are various ways in which they could do so. One possibility that occurred to me is that if the existing discussions could be archived so that they continue to be available and searchable (albeit with a rather more basic search facility than at present), there would be the option of restarting the forums from scratch. This might offer more options regarding hosting and software, and I would hope it could be done a lot more cheaply than at present.

One key question would be whether - if the cost of hosting and the technical issues could taken care of - people would be willing to help in the day-to-day running of the forums. That is, in communicating with members and potential members, and in taking care of any moderation that needs to be done. (No doubt Howard can fill us in about the work that actually involves.) I think the ideal would be a small committee of people, so that the job can be shared rather than just falling on one person's shoulders.

Thanks for starting this thread, Chris. I agree entirely with what you say - the first priority should be to preserve the wealth of research material embedded in the discussion threads.

It would also be good if we could maintain or set up a forum to encourage new discussion and research activity.

My technical skills are virtually non-existent, but I would be happy to contribute to the financial burden and to help out in any way I can in the admin side of things. How’s will be big shoes to fill, and I doubt we’ll be able to do it with anywhere near his inimitable style, but we could give it a go.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
      I thought it might be helpful to start a discussion thread with a focus on what can be done to ensure that the invaluable research posted here over the years continues to be available and that - if possible - the site can continue as an active discussion forum.
      Thanks, Chris.

This doesn't address your post, but I was thinking about worst case scenario...

Do you remember when Stephen Ryder scrubbed his entire forum back around 2003 and started over? All the posts were wiped clean, but the contents were saved as a CD-Rom, and these were made available for purchase. I still have mine. One issue is that none of the links worked, nor, of course, the photos. Other than that, it was searchable, etc., and all the messages were saved.

I'm not suggesting this is desirable solution or that Howard would even be interested...just throwing it out there...

Comment

By the way, I don't know if it made the news in the UK, but a fair chunk of Philadelphia was badly flooded.

Here's hoping that Howard and Nina weren't inconvenienced...it looked bad on the news....

Comment

Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
          By the way, I don't know if it made the news in the UK, but a fair chunk of Philadelphia was badly flooded.

Here's hoping that Howard and Nina weren't inconvenienced...it looked bad on the news....
          It certainly did make the news here.

Comment

Nothing specific about Eagleville but a lot of power lines are down.

Comment

Let’s hope How and Nina aren’t affected.

Comment

We're good over here, but a lot of people in the region weren't and still aren't.
                Couldn't get to work as the two routes into King of Prussia were under water. Made it in today with zero problem. It's as if it never happened.
                We got 8 1/2 inches of rain...,most of it in a 4 1/2 hour sustained monsoon. Two tornados pretty close to our house...to the west and one to the east where my daughter lives.
                One co-worker had to have himself rescued by a Philly PD boat...his family too...he lives in West Philly, close to the Schuykill River.

If our plant had been in the same location it was 10 years ago, I'd be unemployed right now. Conshohocken experienced massive flooding. Our old plant wouldn't be operational considering the water damage it would have definitely sustained.
                So did sections of NW Philly and center city, where boats were used to navigate the area(s).

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/weat...lphia/2944797/

Anyway...................
                ************************************************** ************************************************** *****************

Rajah:

Nice idea about a CD-ROM but Stephen's disc is all in html....our site depended on a third-party server with non-transcribed articles. It would be an extraordinary task to transcribe all the articles here to html. I'm very doubtful it would be achievable.

I'm not trying to 'sell' anything by saying this....but I feel that this site, which is top of the line in its functionality ( when was the last time there was a tech problem here ?) and flexibility ( ability to transfer whole forums and threads into new sections in less than 1 minute), is going to be hard to beat.

Tell you what I'll do.

If people can get a plan together and take over the payments of the site by Nov. 26....I'll do the tech work. I can see how much it means to CGP and some others here to have it still afloat.
                What I will do is :

Register people....and also have CGP or whomever learn how to do it. Not hard at all.
                Move threads...to wherever anyone wants them
                Will answer technical questions
                Will not post on the site
                Will only be a 'Member' but have administrative powers only to do the previously mentioned chores
                Make no decisions on anything to do with the boards

Deal ?
                To Join JTR Forums :
                Contact [email protected]

Comment

Note to members:

As of 6 PM, Chris Phillips is now listed as Research-Administrator, having full access to the controls to the extent I do.

To Join JTR Forums :
                  Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                    We're good over here, but a lot of people in the region weren't and still aren't.
                    Couldn't get to work as the two routes into King of Prussia were under water. Made it in today with zero problem. It's as if it never happened.
                    We got 8 1/2 inches of rain...,most of it in a 4 1/2 hour sustained monsoon. Two tornados pretty close to our house...to the west and one to the east where my daughter lives.
                    One co-worker had to have himself rescued by a Philly PD boat...his family too...he lives in West Philly, close to the Schuykill River.

If our plant had been in the same location it was 10 years ago, I'd be unemployed right now. Conshohocken experienced massive flooding. Our old plant wouldn't be operational considering the water damage it would have definitely sustained.
                    So did sections of NW Philly and center city, where boats were used to navigate the area(s).

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/weat...lphia/2944797/

Anyway...................
                    ************************************************** ************************************************** *****************

Rajah:

Nice idea about a CD-ROM but Stephen's disc is all in html....our site depended on a third-party server with non-transcribed articles. It would be an extraordinary task to transcribe all the articles here to html. I'm very doubtful it would be achievable.

I'm not trying to 'sell' anything by saying this....but I feel that this site, which is top of the line in its functionality ( when was the last time there was a tech problem here ?) and flexibility ( ability to transfer whole forums and threads into new sections in less than 1 minute), is going to be hard to beat.

Tell you what I'll do.

If people can get a plan together and take over the payments of the site by Nov. 26....I'll do the tech work. I can see how much it means to CGP and some others here to have it still afloat.
                    What I will do is :

Register people....and also have CGP or whomever learn how to do it. Not hard at all.
                    Move threads...to wherever anyone wants them
                    Will answer technical questions
                    Will not post on the site
                    Will only be a 'Member' but have administrative powers only to do the previously mentioned chores
                    Make no decisions on anything to do with the boards

Deal ?
                    Sounds good to me. If Chris is OK with it, I’ll be happy to contribute in any way I can.

Comment

Sounds good to me. If Chris is OK with it, I’ll be happy to contribute in any way I can.
                      Ditto for me.

That's a very generous offer Howard! And thank you for that. Your shoes are very big to fill and hardly possible.

Glad you guys are ok!!

Jerryd

Comment

Thanks to Howard for offering to help out with technical things, which I think would be very helpful.

Of course, to continue with the hosting as it is now will still require us collectively to raise something like $900 a year.

Someone emailed me privately offering to contribute, which is very helpful.

But I think we'll still need some more contributions if we're going to follow that route, so if other people would be willing to help it would be great if they could give an indication, so we'll have a better idea where we stand.

If the forums are to continue - in whatever form - the other thing that would be needed would be a small (or maybe not so small) committee to make whatever decisions need to be made. So volunteers would also be welcome for that role.

Comment

Happy to assist with a small donation.

Comment

Me too.

Comment

Definitely happy to contribute money. I'm a technological sheep, if I can be herded to do something that is simple, I'm happy to do that to.
                              Thanks for your time,
                              dusty miller

Comment

Working...
                              X