Clear All

• D.J.Adams
    replied
    Ozzy,Ozzy,Ozzy

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    Originally posted by tel View Post
    Haven't been over here for a good while, just heard the news. Put me down among those willing to make a modest contribution.
    Thanks very much for your kind offer, which is noted.

Leave a comment:

• tel
    replied
    Haven't been over here for a good while, just heard the news. Put me down among those willing to make a modest contribution.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    Originally posted by Allison Smith View Post

I would GLADLY pay a membership fee!! AND would be willing to contribute, financially, in some way, if needed, too.

I don't post much, but I'm always falling down rabbit holes in here! PLEASE let me know if I can be of any assistance!! (Financial, I am NOT techy in ANY WAY)
    Thanks. That's very helpful. Although we have been offered the money we need for the renewal in November, if anyone else is willing to donate, that would allow a reduction of some of the larger contributions that have been offered. So please do contact me by private message if you would like to offer a contribution.

Leave a comment:

• Allison Smith
    replied
    Originally posted by Amanda Lloyd View Post
    As I wrote elsewhere on here today,'
    I've just seen this, and I agree, it would be utterly devastating if this site was to be lost. So much has been put into by How, Nina, many researchers and members.
    Wouldn't charging members a small annual subscription keep the site going? I'm sure members would be only too pleased to support it. Nothing is free in this world, and if it is, someone is paying for it somewhere.
    Just a suggestion. Regards, Amanda
    I would GLADLY pay a membership fee!! AND would be willing to contribute, financially, in some way, if needed, too.

I don't post much, but I'm always falling down rabbit holes in here! PLEASE let me know if I can be of any assistance!! (Financial, I am NOT techy in ANY WAY)

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
    I'm very pleased to say that nine people between them have offered enough donations for us to renew the main site hosting in November!
    That’s good news, Chris.

Things have been a bit quiet of late. We members need to start posting a bit more. And guests - don’t hide your lights under bushels, sign up and have your say.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
    Great effort, Chris.
    Yes - thanks to all those who have generously offered financial support and other kinds of help to keep the site going.

Of course, it is also a reflection of the value placed on the content of the site, which has been built up over so many years through Howard's hard work, and through bearing the cost of the site himself over a long period.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Great effort, Chris.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    I'm very pleased to say that nine people between them have offered enough donations for us to renew the main site hosting in November!

Leave a comment:

• Amanda Lloyd
    replied
    As I wrote elsewhere on here today,
    I've just seen this, and I agree, it would be utterly devastating if this site was to be lost. So much has been put into by How, Nina, many researchers and members.
    Wouldn't charging members a small annual subscription keep the site going? I'm sure members would be only too pleased to support it. Nothing is free in this world, and if it is, someone is paying for it somewhere.
    Just a suggestion. Regards, Amanda

Leave a comment:

• Steve Blomer
    replied
    A very sad position to find ourselves in.
    I am happy to make a small donation annually and to help in the running of the site

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    That’s encouraging news, Chris.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    One person has contacted me privately mentioning the amount they are willing to give. I think it would be helpful if others are able to put a figure to it, and then we'll be able to see where we stand and make more definite plans.
    Just to give a progress report - so far seven people have generously offered financial help towards the cost of renewing the hosting of the site.

The offers so far add up to just over $600. That is not too far away from the $758 that would be needed to renew the main hosting package in November. (There is also the ongoing cost of the Photobucket image hosting to consider, but that is now being paid monthly, so we don't need to raise a large sum upfront for that.)

So we are not quite there yet, but the amount that's still needed is not as challenging as the initial target may have appeared.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post

Would that be readily searchable, Chris?
    That's a good point. If it were on a DVD it would need a search facility to be added to it, and that would need looking into.

A static online archive should get indexed by Google sooner or later. There are also website search services, though the site may be too big for the free ones.

These search options would be more limited than the ones that are currently available - just words and phrases, without being able to specify contributors, dates, threads and so on.

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    I think the best way of preserving the historical discussions would be as an online archive of static web pages, which I'd hope could be hosted a lot more cheaply than at present. I am working on that, and I think it will be worth doing regardless of whether and in what way the forums continue actively.

In principle such an archive could also be copied to DVD, though I think the images currently on Photobucket would be too large to include.
    Would that be readily searchable, Chris?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X