X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul
    replied
    So, to state the obvious, 9 people contributing $100 each. Surely there are 9 people here willing to do that, or 18 people willing to sacrifice $50. If nothing else, it might give us time to investigate ways of preserving (and distributing?) the research here.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul View Post
    Okay. So how much money is needed? What would an individual donation be?
    If I understand correctly, the total annual cost for the site - as it is now - is about 900 dollars, including the web hosting and the separate hosting of image files.

Leave a comment:

• D.J.Adams
    replied
    How many regulars are there?

Leave a comment:

• Paul
    replied
    Okay. So how much money is needed? What would an individual donation be?

Leave a comment:

• Dusty Miller
    replied
    Definitely happy to contribute money. I'm a technological sheep, if I can be herded to do something that is simple, I'm happy to do that to.

Leave a comment:

• Phillip Walton
    replied
    Me too.

Leave a comment:

• D.J.Adams
    replied
    Happy to assist with a small donation.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Phillips
    replied
    Thanks to Howard for offering to help out with technical things, which I think would be very helpful.

Of course, to continue with the hosting as it is now will still require us collectively to raise something like $900 a year.

Someone emailed me privately offering to contribute, which is very helpful.

But I think we'll still need some more contributions if we're going to follow that route, so if other people would be willing to help it would be great if they could give an indication, so we'll have a better idea where we stand.

If the forums are to continue - in whatever form - the other thing that would be needed would be a small (or maybe not so small) committee to make whatever decisions need to be made. So volunteers would also be welcome for that role.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Dunlop
    replied
    Sounds good to me. If Chris is OK with it, I’ll be happy to contribute in any way I can.
    Ditto for me.

That's a very generous offer Howard! And thank you for that. Your shoes are very big to fill and hardly possible.

Glad you guys are ok!!

Jerryd

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
    We're good over here, but a lot of people in the region weren't and still aren't.
    Couldn't get to work as the two routes into King of Prussia were under water. Made it in today with zero problem. It's as if it never happened.
    We got 8 1/2 inches of rain...,most of it in a 4 1/2 hour sustained monsoon. Two tornados pretty close to our house...to the west and one to the east where my daughter lives.
    One co-worker had to have himself rescued by a Philly PD boat...his family too...he lives in West Philly, close to the Schuykill River.

If our plant had been in the same location it was 10 years ago, I'd be unemployed right now. Conshohocken experienced massive flooding. Our old plant wouldn't be operational considering the water damage it would have definitely sustained.
    So did sections of NW Philly and center city, where boats were used to navigate the area(s).

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/weat...lphia/2944797/

Anyway...................
    ************************************************** ************************************************** *****************

Rajah:

Nice idea about a CD-ROM but Stephen's disc is all in html....our site depended on a third-party server with non-transcribed articles. It would be an extraordinary task to transcribe all the articles here to html. I'm very doubtful it would be achievable.

I'm not trying to 'sell' anything by saying this....but I feel that this site, which is top of the line in its functionality ( when was the last time there was a tech problem here ?) and flexibility ( ability to transfer whole forums and threads into new sections in less than 1 minute), is going to be hard to beat.

Tell you what I'll do.

If people can get a plan together and take over the payments of the site by Nov. 26....I'll do the tech work. I can see how much it means to CGP and some others here to have it still afloat.
    What I will do is :

Register people....and also have CGP or whomever learn how to do it. Not hard at all.
    Move threads...to wherever anyone wants them
    Will answer technical questions
    Will not post on the site
    Will only be a 'Member' but have administrative powers only to do the previously mentioned chores
    Make no decisions on anything to do with the boards

Deal ?
    Sounds good to me. If Chris is OK with it, I’ll be happy to contribute in any way I can.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Note to members:

As of 6 PM, Chris Phillips is now listed as Research-Administrator, having full access to the controls to the extent I do.

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    We're good over here, but a lot of people in the region weren't and still aren't.
    Couldn't get to work as the two routes into King of Prussia were under water. Made it in today with zero problem. It's as if it never happened.
    We got 8 1/2 inches of rain...,most of it in a 4 1/2 hour sustained monsoon. Two tornados pretty close to our house...to the west and one to the east where my daughter lives.
    One co-worker had to have himself rescued by a Philly PD boat...his family too...he lives in West Philly, close to the Schuykill River.

If our plant had been in the same location it was 10 years ago, I'd be unemployed right now. Conshohocken experienced massive flooding. Our old plant wouldn't be operational considering the water damage it would have definitely sustained.
    So did sections of NW Philly and center city, where boats were used to navigate the area(s).

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/weat...lphia/2944797/

Anyway...................
    ************************************************** ************************************************** *****************

Rajah:

Nice idea about a CD-ROM but Stephen's disc is all in html....our site depended on a third-party server with non-transcribed articles. It would be an extraordinary task to transcribe all the articles here to html. I'm very doubtful it would be achievable.

I'm not trying to 'sell' anything by saying this....but I feel that this site, which is top of the line in its functionality ( when was the last time there was a tech problem here ?) and flexibility ( ability to transfer whole forums and threads into new sections in less than 1 minute), is going to be hard to beat.

Tell you what I'll do.

If people can get a plan together and take over the payments of the site by Nov. 26....I'll do the tech work. I can see how much it means to CGP and some others here to have it still afloat.
    What I will do is :

Register people....and also have CGP or whomever learn how to do it. Not hard at all.
    Move threads...to wherever anyone wants them
    Will answer technical questions
    Will not post on the site
    Will only be a 'Member' but have administrative powers only to do the previously mentioned chores
    Make no decisions on anything to do with the boards

Deal ?

Leave a comment:

• Gary Barnett
    replied
    Let’s hope How and Nina aren’t affected.

Leave a comment:

• Phillip Walton
    replied
    Nothing specific about Eagleville but a lot of power lines are down.

Leave a comment:

• Phillip Walton
    replied
    Originally posted by R. J. Palmer View Post
    By the way, I don't know if it made the news in the UK, but a fair chunk of Philadelphia was badly flooded.

Here's hoping that Howard and Nina weren't inconvenienced...it looked bad on the news....
    It certainly did make the news here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X