Spring Checkup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Checkup

Just so we can make life easier on the site....does anyone have any problems in any area on the site?

If there are problems,by all means let us know and we will rectify the matter.

Are you not recieving private messages as you think you should?
    Please check and see if your "inbox" is at its limit.

Are you having trouble uploading from your computer or alternative sources?
    Please contact either Tim or How to troubleshoot a.s.a.p.

Have you experienced any "spam" as a result from participating on this site?
    You shouldn't. Thats an area that I have taken charge of and hopefully none get through. If you do,let me know a.s.a.p.

Thanks in advance....

HB
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Howard,

I have trouble locating threads once they've slipped off 'Today's Posts'. I believe others do as well which is why many threads die rather quickly.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott
      Howard,

I have trouble locating threads once they've slipped off 'Today's Posts'. I believe others do as well which is why many threads die rather quickly.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
      I agree with Tom.

Comment

Tom and Deb:

Let me suggest this then...

1. If a thread goes a.w.o.l. and you have posted on it at least once....go to your user cp function.

2. Go to subscribed threads and look up that thread in the box on the right and then go to it.

3. You can also go to the function....'find all posts made by your name'. This should fix it.

4. If you know that,for example,Stan Russo,started a thread or the thread that you cannot locate....go to his name in the 'members list'....click on his name and check the function..."find all posts made by Stan Russo'.

Please let me know if this works,you two. Sorry for the inconvienience and thanks for bringing this up. I get lost myself sometimes,because I forget what section the thread was in originally....
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Hi Howard

I also find this type of software a bit frustrating in that I also feel I am missing threads with important information that time out too fast. In other words, the main search is for "new posts" but often there have been new posts but because it is an existing thread, they will time out and not be brought to my attention. Does that make sense? I'm not as interested in a new thread... well of course I would like to know about new threads as well... but new posts to a new or old thread in the last 1, 3, or 7 days would be more useful. I don't know if this type of site has the capacity to allow us to view what new posts might have been made in the last 1, 3, or 7 days. Any thoughts or guidance would be appreciated.

Chris
          Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
          https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
          Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Chris, I always go to quick links and click today's posts.

Robert

Dear Chris....

Robert's suggestion is the best I can think of. I'm usually here every day,so it was never an issue with me. Maybe Tim has an alternate idea.

See if what Robert mentioned will help you out if you get a chance.

Thanks !

Comment

Hi Robert

I have just come back on. I know we both made recent posts but I come across the screen that says:

Sorry, there are no new threads to view.

You may search for threads updated during the previous 24 hours, here.

One thing that would be useful would be if the previous 24 hours option would be available permanently. Maybe there is a way to call that up at any time, I don't know, but I don't think so. I just feel that as Tom says, things get posted and buried quickly so we may miss out on something important.

Chris
              https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.

Comment

Good call, Chris. I'd go along with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris G.
                  One thing that would be useful would be if the previous 24 hours option would be available permanently. Maybe there is a way to call that up at any time, I don't know, but I don't think so.
                  I assume that this is equivalent to "Today's Posts" on the "Quick Links" menu, which does bring up posts from yesterday provided they are less than 24 hours old.

However, I'm not sure this feature is functioning correctly. For me, it brings up only items in the "General Information" and "Special Events" sections, not those in the "Discussion" section.

Chris Phillips

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Phillips
                    However, I'm not sure this feature is functioning correctly. For me, it brings up only items in the "General Information" and "Special Events" sections, not those in the "Discussion" section.
                    Correction. If I'm logged in, "Today's Posts" brings up posts from all sections. If I'm not logged in, it omits those from the "Discussion" section. Is it meant to do that?

Chris Phillips

Comment

That's weird. This is my screen display ;

Comment

Naturally the table came out all over the place, but basically it's displaying discussion threads.

Comment

Here's the Scoop

The VBulletin software does not allow a search for a period greater than the preceding 24 hours. The old Casebook software did, but it was of a different make.

There does not appear to be any way that this can be altered. 24 hours it is.

I know that this version of VBulletin does contain some bugs, as does the latest version, some of those being serious, which is why we have not upgraded. Maybe they will fix an upcoming version which takes care of all this but for now we will have to make do.

Sometimes I see no new messages upon a search, when I know there are some, and sometimes I see a host of new messages when I have read all of them before checking again. I dunno about conditions such as Chris P has related, but it seems reasonable to assume that the software requires you to log in before being able to determine which are new messages for you.

We'll track the complaints here and see if something can be done about them. There are tweaks avaialble.....

Comment

Originally posted by admin
                            I dunno about conditions such as Chris P has related, but it seems reasonable to assume that the software requires you to log in before being able to determine which are new messages for you.
                            Yes, of course I realise that. But it seems strange that the listing of messages within the last 24 hours should differ according to whether you're logged in. Not that it bothers me now I know what's going on...

Chris Phillips

Comment

Speaking of which, I have not been able to call up the Casebook message boards in the last few hours. Anybody else having that problem?

Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X