X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Just a quick comment here....
    Unless I'm very mistaken, there have been, recently...within the last 5 years.... two serial killers who were finally linked and charged to the murders they had committed years before....and obviously after they stopped.
    I believe one was in California...a black fellow...who strangled his victims...and the Alphabet Killer...and if not mistaken even further, they were murders with hands on violence, not by guns or poison.

Leave a comment:

• Big Jon
    replied
    Originally posted by Chris G. View Post
    Yes but here we go again. With due respect, Jon, it appear sthat you concentrate too much on the Ripper case, albeit with recognition of the Zodiac case. The examples of the Green River killer (Gary Ridgeway) and the BTK killer (Dennis Rader), who both lay low for significant periods, would argue that a serial killer can for one reason or another stop killing for a long period.

Hi Chris,

I accept that fact.

Out of curiosity, is it known why Ridgeway "slowed down"?

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
    Do you or do you not feel that the position of Mackenzie's body is relevant.
    If I were attacked by a strangler, How, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't keep my legs together - I'd be thrashing them around like mad. They'd therefore naturally be parted when my assailant laid me on the ground. I'd thrash them a sight more if he had to sit on my chest to finish me off, with possibly more dramatic "splaying" as a result.

Of course, where sex is involved, either as a pretext or in actuality, then the legs are likely to be parted in any case.

For these reasons, I don't see splayed legs as necessarily linking crimes to a single murderer, any more the presence of exit wounds would suggest that the same gunman was involved in various shootings.
    Originally posted by Monty View Post
    Re Stride and Coles. A disturbance?
    Indeed, Monty... but one has to posit such a Deus ex machina to make their murders "fit". Without resorting to such devices, all we basically have is a "bog-standard" cut-throat murder.
    Originally posted by Lynn Cates View Post
    So the bruising on Alice does not sway you?
    It's a bit like spread legs or exit wounds, Lynn. Bruising could be seen as an inevitable byproduct of a violent assault, perpetrated by any hand.

Leave a comment:

• Chris G.
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Jon View Post
    If there was a gap followed by another series of murders, I'd be more convinced. But

gap - one murder - longer gap - another one murder

just doesn't seem to fit the pattern to me.

Didn't Zodiac have a six month gap at the start of the series and then the subsequent killings more closer together?
    Yes but here we go again. With due respect, Jon, it appear that you concentrate too much on the Ripper case, albeit with recognition of the Zodiac case. The examples of the Green River killer (Gary Ridgeway) and the BTK killer (Dennis Rader), who both lay low for significant periods, would argue that a serial killer can for one reason or another stop killing for a long period.

That having been said, I discount both Tabram (too unlike the murders to follow, no throat cutting or evisceration) and all later murders after November 1888 such as McKenzie and Coles (the appearance of copy cats, with plain and simple throat cuttings and no significant bowel attack in contrast to Nichols, Chapman, Eddowes, and Kelly, discounting Stride and taking the traditional view that he was interrupted).

Best regards

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Lynn Cates
    replied
    gap

Hello Jon. Thanks.

Well, what length of time constitutes a gap?

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• Lynn Cates
    replied
    bruising

Hello Gareth. Thanks.

So the bruising on Alice does not sway you?

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• Big Jon
    replied
    Hello Jon. Thanks. No analogy with (was it Zodiac?) who had a long lull?

Cheers.
    LC
    If there was a gap followed by another series of murders, I'd be more convinced. But

gap - one murder - longer gap - another one murder

just doesn't seem to fit the pattern to me.

Didn't Zodiac have a six month gap at the start of the series and then the subsequent killings more closer together?

Leave a comment:

• Monty
    replied
    Re Stride and Coles.

A disturbance?

Monty

Leave a comment:

• Howard Brown
    replied
    Gareth:
    Do you or do you not feel that the position of Mackenzie's body is relevant ?
    She was left much like Chapman and Eddowes were....of course, without the damage those poor women suffered....but with legs spread apart.
    Its the major 'reason' I don't discount her.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Zodiac did indeed take a long sabbatical, Lynn, but when he came back he was up to his usual tricks. For me, the key differentiator between Mackenzie/Coles and the Canonical Five (even within the Canonical Five) is not the gap, but what the killer actually did to the victims. Coles, Mackenzie (and Stride for that matter), got away very lightly compared with Nichols, Chapman, Eddowes and Kelly - or Tabram, even. The deaths of the latter were extraordinarily brutal, whereas one is tempted to classify the other murders as "run of the mill".

My 4d

Leave a comment:

• Lynn Cates
    replied
    analogy

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• Big Jon
    replied
    Hello Jon. Thanks for the discussion.

What is it about the later killings--McKenzie and Coles--that you see as making them by another hand?

Cheers.
    LC
    It's the gap. Eight months for McKenzie and then over a year for Coles - after 5 murders in quick succession, it seems to be a large gap. I'm not saying it's impossible (for example, the killer may have been incarcerated) but I just think it is unlikely.

Leave a comment:

• Mike Covell
    replied

7. Give us the name of a suspect you feel we, as a community, undervalue…..

Sir John Williams. That Jenni Shelden is part of a conspiracy to keep the truth from us.
    I knew it!

Leave a comment:

• Lynn Cates
    replied
    other

Hello Jon. Thanks for the discussion.

What is it about the later killings--McKenzie and Coles--that you see as making them by another hand?

Cheers.
    LC

Leave a comment:

• Big Jon
    replied
    Facing the prospect of being fired from his high paying position as Forums Moderator, Jon cheerfully responded to the call of the 5Q....
    Can I come out of the cellar now?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X