This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bump up

Calling all members who want to participate in the 5Q !!!!
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

I'm putting together a 5Q with Mike Covell and for Tim Mosley....and a couple of others...such as Seattle's finest, Archaic...and Debbie D.

Anyone else care to participate?
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
        I'm putting together a 5Q with Mike Covell and for Tim Mosley....and a couple of others...such as Seattle's finest, Archaic...and Debbie D.Anyone else care to participate?
        Yikes! Another 5q's with little old me?
        I think Carmine would like to answer 5 questions too.

Comment

Lets make a deal and don't let anyone else know about the following manuever,okay?

You be a little, shall we say ,"proprietor friendly" in the next caption judging...and I'll give Carmine some questions. The questions will be easy ones and not "ruff" ones.

Keep this between us.
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

If anyone is up to a series of questions, even someone who doesn't know much like Tim Mosley, please let me know.

Thank you.
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Ladies and Gents, I have a propositition for you all. I say we turn the tables on Howard and ask him the questions!

If the Boss is willing and if anyone has a question they'd like to submit to ask him, PM me by Saturday night and the 5 best will get asked.
              Jon

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Comment

Jon:

Sounds fine to me, pardner.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Last call for questions for Howard. I'll be sending them tomorrow, so if you have any questions PM me in the next few hours!
                  Jon

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

Comment

Jon:

Psst...no questions relating to addin' & subtractin' with more than 2 digits, inquiries on how to behave on dates, probes into personal hygeine, or aid to the mediocrities ( all 202 of them ) in making superior captions. Thank you.
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Thanks to Big Jon and those who helped him provide the questions. The response was too long to put in a p.m., Jon....so I just put it up on my own.

1. How did you get interested in the Ripper & what do you hope to achieve with the JTR website?

I believe like many other people in our field that my interest was piqued when I came across the Maybrick book written by Mrs. Harrison. It was the instant when I saw the photo of Mary Kelly that something changed me on the spot.I remind myself every day of the terrible irony that all the wonderful things I have learned and been a part of, including my wife, are a direct result of a photograph of a murdered woman I wouldn't have thought twice about 121 years ago....as terrible as that might sound. I owe a great debt back to the victims for that fact.

What I hope that we achieve here is JTRForums being a permanent fixture in the field where people may come and use information found he
                      re or contribute to the volume of knowledge we've already provided to people in the community.

2. How many hours per week do you put into the site & what do you personally feel you get out of all your unpaid labour?

Making contacts & friends with individuals who share the same enthusiasm and satisfaction from learning is payment in full for me. I enjoy every facet that's involved with running the site...with the obvious occasional exception(s) which will occur because Ripperology is for the most part composed of a passionate collection of people with different tastes in other areas of life and not everyone is going to be on the same page even in our field.

I am constantly thinking
                      ( at least) about the Case whether at home or at work and probably put 15-17 honest hours a day into it, even while at work. Yesterday, I woke up at 4 AM and went to bed at 2 AM, doing nothing other than reading related links or links that inevitably were not Ripper/LVP related and spending time bouncing ideas off of Nina . I wake up thinking about ideas I write down on notepads the night before ,everyday. I go to bed reading Ripper fiction or from the Ultimate Sourcebook to my wife every day. Every day.

I get more than what I put into the site, so I think I've been reimbursed several times over.

3. What new features do you see being added in the near future of the site?

Hopefully,when I replace all the wonderful jpeg/bitmap/pdf contributions from the various members with Photobucket or Flickr substitutes, I'd like to see more individuals initiate their own Forums and be in charge of presenting their own view of the Case from beginning to end.....because we won't have to worry about space or bandwidth load. For example, I have a "book" on D'Onston in my head, but its impossible for me to write it unless they extend the 24 hour day to 30 hours. Others may have the time to spend wisely on Ripper related presentations and if they use the Individual Forums to serve as an outline or sounding board for their overview of the Case, they may in turn be "ready' one day to have their work published as a result of the sharing of and dialogue...even criticisms... which may surface over the points which constitute their general theory.

4. Is there anything coming soon in the Ripper world (books, documentaries, other projects etc.) you are particularly looking forward to?

Hopefully improved JTRForums visual broadcasts surpassing the primitive ones Jon,Mike and I placed on YOU TUBE, or "in house" documentaries created by individuals within the community primarily on aspects of the Case for the mainstream. I think that we've seen a few of those already (such as the one produced by Richard Jones ) and the one featuring Phil Hutchinson & Lindsay Siviter in 2008...and they were high quality. I'm hoping for Mike Covell's work on Stephenson to appear in the next year or so. I am anticipating the upcoming new edition of the A to Z ...and looking forward to hearing what materializes out of the 2009 UK Convention. Tim Riordan's book on Tumblety and Gavin Bromley & Wolf Vanderlinden returning to writing on a regular basis. I'm really impressed with Helga Loewe, a young Ripperologist from Germany, who is not only enthusiastic, but imaginative and putting a lot of her time and effort into a project she's working on...along with Silverstealth, Nemo,Archaic and Jon Simons & Derann, the community's Videoperson, who do important work in their own unique ways . Of course, there's Jon Rees who is steadily learning the ropes and ins and outs of running a website...whether he wanted to or not. : )....and before I forget to mention them, the efforts of John Bennett outside of the Forums and SPE & Robert Clack inside the Forums...great ambassadors of Ripperology.

5. Is there any area of the case you think is currently being neglected, or under researched?
                      I certainly do but its not as if those areas which are under discussed will satisfactorily conclude or convince anyone of anything in terms of providing an answer to an unresolved issue. Six areas stand out to me, as follows, and not in order.
                      1. Going to a repository in Britain : It would be such a good thing if a few London area members could get together and peruse the PRO armed with notepads or camera and work on one specific "thing" while there, in unison.
                      2. Article discussion : Its going to be a project of ours here either this year or in 2010 to bring up all the articles & content going back to the beginning of Ripperologist Magazine and rehash the unresolved issues from within those pages.

3. Aspect discussion: A lot of beneficial work has been done in this area when people discuss the (e.g.) Lighting in Mitre Square....the size and condition of the backyard fence in #27 Hanbury Street...reanalyzing the time of death of Mrs. Chapman...and so on. We need more of that I think. A lot more.

4. The Memory Hole : Where good threads go because no one is there to kick start them back to life. We need less of this down the road and attention paid to threads which seem to vanish in terms of interest despite their importance.

5. Use of the Individual Forums: We have what I feel is the unique ability on JTRForums to utilize numerous threads in the way each member wishes. I'd like to see some take advantage of that and use it for Ripper related purposes. Even I have failed to utilize them, but hopefully, as Mike Covell has done as one example, that will change in the future.

6. Embracing the masses: The interest of newcomers to the Case , even in this day and age when books like the Ultimate or The Facts are available and prominent, is still often found to be based on contact with the Masonic conspiracy line, the Cornwell-Sickert theory, and Maybrick affair or Hollywood films...even though less so than maybe 10 years ago. As the older Ripperologists appear less frequently on message boards....where many, not all, budding Ripperologists go to for their initial contact with us....we'll be counted on to provide answers and encourage new scholars & aficinados to the field. With the across the board cameraderie that exists like never before on the site...I think that will be an easy task.

Thanks again Jon.
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                        ...and before I forget to mention them, the efforts of John Bennett outside of the Forums and SPE & Robert Clack inside the Forums...great ambassadors of Ripperology.

Mr Bennett is inside the Forums, Howard.
                        Itsnotrocketsurgery

Comment

Stephen:

I know that old bean...but what I was referring to was his work on the Wiki Project.
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Thanks, How.

(You made me blush a little bit )

Comment

Helga:

All I did was speak my mind and I think you deserve being mentioned for the project you're working on. We're getting older every day ( Ask Linford and Caz....) and the field needs high quality young people in the future.
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Thanks for answering these questions Howard, and thanks for all the hard work you put in every day to the running and maintenence of the site.
                                Jon

Comment

Working...
                                X