5 Questions With: ADAM WENT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Questions With: ADAM WENT

*1. As a collegian in Australia, have you seen or heard of much interest in university in regard to the WM ? If so, please elaborate.*

I can't say that I have. At the college I studied at, a lot of people were interested in historical topics, but not the WM in particular. University is of course a step up from just your normal college though, and there are far broader ranging subjects that you can study at university, much closer to where the WM would surely be covered - infact, I've recently seen an advertisement on TV for a course in Criminology at university. But, on a college level, the courses really aren't there, and so the interest is not that high.

*2. There doesn't seem to be the presence of any one particular suspect being promoted as the Ripper over the last calendar year...and my previous feeling that suspect based Ripperology is dying might actually be close to correct. What do you think is the reason for the less than overt attempt on anyone's part to push an individual into the limelight either here or in the magazines or message boards?*

I think a large part of it is that most things that can be discussed about individual suspects has been gone over again, again and again over the years, and unless new information surfaces about them, there's really very few new topics that can be discussed. Aside from that, analysing the likelihood of the major suspects as JTR is a very touchy issue, and they have sparked major flame wars in the past - these days there are some suspects that the majority of people just don't want to touch for that reason - James Maybrick and the Diary is a prime example of that. I believe suspect based Ripperology will re-surface, though, the next time that new suspects come up....

*3. As someone who can't access the site on a day to day basis...what is the one thing that you see occurring on the site on a perpetual basis when you do get to peruse it?*

Fortunately, much more discussion on the WM. Having been a member of these boards for more than 2 years now, I can remember when we were lucky to get any posts in a week in most of the Ripper-related sections - now, they are being posted in much more often and the discussion is far more constructive and far less pointless and abusive. There's always something on there that you can build on.
    I'd just like to add there that when you've been away from boards for a while for whatever reason, whether it's weeks or months, I don't know about everyone else, but I always feel out of touch with the boards and the discussions that are going - there's always new members who are posting regularly and making their presence felt when you've never even heard of them before, and what was being discussed when you last visited is now well and truly in the past. I have found that even as one of the more long time members of the forum, it's always a little bit strange and difficult to get back into the rhythm of discussions - so my advice to everyone on here is this: Don't make the same mistake I did - check in here and contribute as often as you can!
    (The money arrived in my bank account today, How - thanks )

*4. Have you changed your mind at all about any one thing within the whole of the Case over the last year? Please elaborate.*

Probably the only major thing I can think of is the living conditions in the East End of 1888 - about a year ago I was still in the trap of believing in the romanticised version of life in the East End, that things wouldn't have been so bad - I took too much notice of the movies. Through discussions and my own research I realised that it was exactly the opposite of that. However, I still hold the same opinion on everything within the case that I did last year - yes, I'm still a Chapmanite! Having said that, I guess I've learnt to become a bit more open-minded on things and more willing to listen and discuss than I was last year.

*5. Is there one area of the Case that you have intentions of working in over the next few years...or is your interest a general, all around, interest?*

For the time being I'd like to just work on getting more involved in the case and increasing my knowledge of it. There's always learning to be done, but one thing that I would like to look more into is the lives of the people involved in the case - not so much the suspects, as we know a fair amount about most of those, but the victims and, in particular, the witnesses. These were basically unknown people who just stepped into history for a very brief period of time and then disappeared again - I'd like to know more about them, their lives and what happened to them before and after 1888.

Thanks Adam....as I know your time is valuable...as you try to obtain a degree and go on and get a great paying job, so you can afford to pay me to sit here at home and run the site...and have enough left over for you and yours.

Your pal

How
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Good post

Adam,

I'm always glad when someone agrees to answer How's 5 questions as I know he always mixes it up and we will get different answers from a different perspective. Thanks for responding, I really enjoyed your answers and I do think that suspect driven posting will appear again, just as soon as the feathers that got burned off grow back in again.

Mikey

Comment

G'day How and Mike,

How:

Land me a job where you work on a wage of about $30/hour, with all my travel and accomodation expenses covered for the next 40 years....then we'll talk about a nice little pension for you, OK?

Mike:

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated!
      By the way, I work with a bloke called Mick Raney...one and the same?

Cheers,
      Adam.

Comment

Mick Raney

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
        G'day How and Mike,

How:

Land me a job where you work on a wage of about $30/hour, with all my travel and accomodation expenses covered for the next 40 years....then we'll talk about a nice little pension for you, OK?

Mike:

Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated!
        By the way, I work with a bloke called Mick Raney...one and the same?

Cheers,
        Adam.
        No, sorry mate, not the same guy but he might be related, is he Irish?

Mikey

Comment

Mike:

I don't think he's Irish - not from the sound of his accent anyway. He has a Dumbledore-like beard and looks like a bit of a bikee though....ring any bells? :cool:

Cheers,
          Adam.

Comment

Working...
          X