5 Questions With: Sir Robert Anderson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Questions With: Sir Robert Anderson

1. What changes ( for the better...) would you like to see transpire on these boards in 2008...other than the usual request for a payraise like I get from whatshisname?

*Everyone agrees that the site needs to be moderated, EXCEPT FOR THEIR POSTS. So I'd like everyone to chill out, and not get upset if an insult or inflammatory comment gets snipped.

The thing I most want for XMAS would be a searchable database of suspect letters to the police....i.e. letters sent by private citizens to the cops suggesting/denouncing various suspects. It's really shocking that we don't have all those out in the public domain. Most of the time when 'experts' tell you you don't really need to see something - like the OD Manuscript - well, you need to see it. Of course we'd have to get the microfilms of the letters and transcribe them....but I think it be a fertile field to plow.

2. Which area are we deficient in at the moment and would like to see improved...other than me being booted off the site?

*I feel bad that you're out of pocket for the expenses of running the Forums, so I'd like to see us all come up with some way for you to break even.*

( Note...the Forums now accepts advertising... as you can see at the bottom of the page...and despite SRA's concerns,the site is paid for from the payments from these advertisers. One day, when we hit a certain amount of "hits", we might even expand. Things sho is lookin' up HRB )

3. Describe your favorite experience or overall feeling from your recent trip to Britain for the Convention.....

*I had a wonderful time ; it's amazing how folks that can be abrasive on a message board can be charming in person.

It's dangerous to paint people with a broad brush, but if I had to contrast British and American Ripperologists it's that the Americans want to SOLVE the case, and the Brits want to STUDY it. I think the latter leads to more genial eccentricities....

And you really had to see Neil Bell's talk on Mitre Square to believe it; staggering graphics by Jake Luukanen.

4. What are your views on the possibility of JTR being a cannibal ?

*Well, I believe the Lusk letter to be genuine so it follows that, yes, JtR was a cannibal. I don't doubt for a minute that he used the fire in Kelly's room to do some home cooking as well.*

5. Which suspect do you think has had the least amount of attention and that its high time we did something about that?
    Sometimes I think in terms of suspects being overvalued or undervalued, as if they are equities that trade in a public market. Tumbelty and RDS are overpriced, while Deeming, Bury, Cutbush, Anderson's suspect, and the Malay cook/sailor are undervalued and deserving of more consideration.

And last but not least, since I think the Diary will be proven to be old in the next couple of years, we should all take a fresh look at Maybrick. Ditto the September 17th letter. God it'd be ironic if Feldman was right after all !*
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
    1. What changes ( for the better...) would you like to see transpire on these boards in 2008...other than the usual request for a payraise like I get from whatshisname?

*Everyone agrees that the site needs to be moderated, EXCEPT FOR THEIR POSTS. So I'd like everyone to chill out, and not get upset if an insult or inflammatory comment gets snipped.
    Moderators on any forum have the right and duty to remove offending posts, so I support you in this. I do this as a moderator on the Yo Liverpool forum, as well as kick out spammers. Flame wars and ad hoc personal attacks must be stopped.

The thing I most want for XMAS would be a searchable database of suspect letters to the police....i.e. letters sent by private citizens to the cops suggesting/denouncing various suspects. It's really shocking that we don't have all those out in the public domain. Most of the time when 'experts' tell you you don't really need to see something - like the OD Manuscript - well, you need to see it. Of course we'd have to get the microfilms of the letters and transcribe them....but I think it be a fertile field to plow.
    Good point. I like that idea, Sir Bob.

2. Which area are we deficient in at the moment and would like to see improved...other than me being booted off the site?

*I feel bad that you're out of pocket for the expenses of running the Forums, so I'd like to see us all come up with some way for you to break even.*

( Note...the Forums now accepts advertising... as you can see at the bottom of the page...and despite SRA's concerns,the site is paid for from the payments from these advertisers. One day, when we hit a certain amount of "hits", we might even expand. Things sho is lookin' up HRB )
    Howie and Sir Bob, does JtR Forums have a Paypal button for people to click on to donate to the site? If you look at the Yo Liverpool forum which is another vBulletin forum, you will see there is a "PayPal Donate" button at top right on the dark blue commands bar.

3. Describe your favorite experience or overall feeling from your recent trip to Britain for the Convention.....

*I had a wonderful time ; it's amazing how folks that can be abrasive on a message board can be charming in person.
    Isn't it a bit like road rage? When someone gets behind the keyboard, just like behind the wheel, they kind of lose it and forget the humanity of the people they are addressing, losing manners and perspective. . .

It's dangerous to paint people with a broad brush, but if I had to contrast British and American Ripperologists it's that the Americans want to SOLVE the case, and the Brits want to STUDY it. I think the latter leads to more genial eccentricities....
    Well, Sir Bob, with that statement about Americans and Brits I feel you have just made a broadbrush statement!!!! And I don't believe it is at all true. I can mention a number of Americans and Canadians, among them R. J. Palmer, Dave Yost, Rob MacLaughlin, and Christopher-Michael DiGrazia, who study the case rather than pursue suspects.

And you really had to see Neil Bell's talk on Mitre Square to believe it; staggering graphics by Jake Luukanen.
    Sorry I missed Wolverhampton and that talk. Sounds fantastic.

4. What are your views on the possibility of JTR being a cannibal ?

*Well, I believe the Lusk letter to be genuine so it follows that, yes, JtR was a cannibal. I don't doubt for a minute that he used the fire in Kelly's room to do some home cooking as well.*
    Sorry I don't buy this at all, neither the Lusk letter being authentic nor that JtR was a cannibal. This is too much of a leap of logic without much basis. But then Ms. Cornwell has made a similar leap of logic and written a whole book based on the idea that the Ripper letters were from the killer.

5. Which suspect do you think has had the least amount of attention and that its high time we did something about that?
    Sometimes I think in terms of suspects being overvalued or undervalued, as if they are equities that trade in a public market. Tumbelty and RDS are overpriced, while Deeming, Bury, Cutbush, Anderson's suspect, and the Malay cook/sailor are undervalued and deserving of more consideration.

And last but not least, since I think the Diary will be proven to be old in the next couple of years, we should all take a fresh look at Maybrick. Ditto the September 17th letter. God it'd be ironic if Feldman was right after all !*
    Your statement "suspects being overvalued or undervalued, as if they are equities that trade in a public market" is much like the statement about suspects' stocks made by Don Souden in his year-end summary editorial in Ripperologist 86 just out. And you both do make an excellent point that certain suspects are overvalued.

Tumblety and D'Onston are indeed suspects who garner much attention and who are possibly in that category. Also I think that minor suspect Joe Barnett is overvalued on weak evidence. I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that he murdered Mary Jane Kelly or any other victim.

I similarly dismiss the often bandied about idea that Michael Kidney killed Elizabeth Stride. Kidney becomes a convenient fall guy for those who do not want to accept Stride as a victim of the Whitechapel murderer. Again on absolutely no evidence.

All the best

Chris
    Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
    https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
    Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

At the speed I type, I'm not capable of road rage. If I were angry, then by the time I'd typed the message I'd have forgotten what it was all about.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
        At the speed I type, I'm not capable of road rage. If I were angry, then by the time I'd typed the message I'd have forgotten what it was all about.

How about snail rage or tortoise rage then, Robert?

Chris
        https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.

Comment

Ha, you mean I'm so slow that I nurse a long-runnning

Comment

grudge?

Comment

Actually, there's a story told by Charles Lamb. One of his schoolmasters would say "I've a good mind to thrash you." Then the master would be called from the room. Fifteen minutes later he'd return and say "AND I will!"

Comment

Ha, you mean I'm so slow that I nurse a long-runnning

grudge?

Not at all, Robert. I just thought that the thought of snail-pace rage is rather a contradiction and was just playing with that idea. Thanks for playing along, Robert.

Chris

Comment

Chris, I remember reading something amusing about snails. Something along the lines of "they find mating difficult, because they don't bump into each other all that often."

Comment

Working...
                  X