Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Questions With: Christopher T. George

1. This may sound a little unusual...but here goes:

One of the ironies of many of our lives is that we obtain so much enjoyment from studying the WM and often forget that it took 5 women to die for this to transpire.

Other than this enjoyment, is there another irony that you can think of ( perhaps on the order of making friendships otherwise never made...or something like that..) from within the field ?
    Hi Howie

Maybe this seems egotistical, I don't know, but I enjoy the fact that I have gained some recognition in the field as an editor of Ripperologist and formerly Ripper Notes, which I helped found, and as an author in my own right. Similarly, I am recognized in the fields of War of 1812 studies and in the field of poetry. I will be sixty on January 10 (happy birthday to me, whoopee) and I am pleased that I have made somewhat of a mark in these three diverse areas, and to be able to contribute what I can to a better understanding of the Whitechapel murders.

2. What or whose theory development have you been particularly impressed with as of late? If none,then the latest one that you remember.

I have enjoyed the work of Rob Hills on James Hardiman, the cat's meat man, who seems to me an intriguing suspect, local living and perhaps a likelier prospect because of that than the high-profile outsiders such as Sickert, Maybrick, Tumblety, and so on. Also the work of Scott Nelson looking into the Jewish suspect that the City Police were watching.

3. Is Mrs. George a Ripperologist or perhaps a trooper who has to endure the incessant offerings provided by Mr.George?

Donna is not in the least a Ripperologist but she is tolerant and encouraging of my interests. She comes to the Ripper conventions, particularly if they are in the UK, and goes shopping usually while I am at the sessions, though she does attend the talks I do as well the banquets, breakfast, etc.

4. Which suspect did you first become interested in? Whatever happened to him in later years? Did you drop him as most drop their first?

I am not sure I ever had a single suspect. I have been for sometime interested in Tumblety and D'Onston but not particularly because I think either of them was the Ripper. I just think their colorful and partly fabricated lives and biography deserve study. I am also interested in the Maybrick Diary but not because I think James Maybrick was the man, just that I would like to know who really wrote the Maybrick Diary. This of course because I am from Liverpool and would like that mystery cleared up.

5. Taking Don Souden's work in demographics as displayed in Ripperologist Magazine...what would you suggest that message board/websites do in order to attract new people from the periphery or out and out newcomers?

I think the value of the forums is their existence on the web, to attract people to the topic, or, if they are already interested, to increase their knowledge and their contacts in the field. The Ripper community by contributing to the forums can set people right about various theories, hopefully in a friendly fashion, and impart new information to help fellow students of the field, which I think is a wonderful function. Long may it be.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Originally posted by How Brown View Post

4. Which suspect did you first become interested in? Whatever happened to him in later years? Did you drop him as most drop their first?

I am not sure I ever had a single suspect. I have been for sometime interested in Tumblety and D'Onston but not particularly because I think either of them was the Ripper. I just think their colorful and partly fabricated lives and biography deserve study. I am also interested in the Maybrick Diary but not because I think James Maybrick was the man, just that I would like to know who really wrote the Maybrick Diary. This of course because I am from Liverpool and would like that mystery cleared up.
    Dear Chris;

Does this mean that you have put John Anderson on the 'back burner' for the moment, or indefinitely? Or perhaps have found during the course of your research on this particular fellow that there's no need to investigate further?

Thanks, Chris.

I will be sixty on January 10.
    How the years fly! It doesn't seem possible that you'll soon qualify for a pensioner's bus pass
    Thanks for ten years of friendship, and many chats and laughs, Chris.

P.S. Happy Day to you and Donna!

Comment

Thanks, Lyn

A drippy English-style day here in Baltimore and Donna worked part of the day until midday ready to pick up a hired car to drive up to Hershey, Pennsylvania where she will tour the chocolate factory with pals. I have been off and having a semi-lazy day watching Liverpool scrape a 2-1 win at Derby. Yes I am nearly sixty. . . indeed, how time flies. . . glad to remain friends with you and Dan!

All the best

Chris
      Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
      https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
      Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Howard,

Taking Don Souden's work in demographics as displayed in Ripperologist Magazine...

Once might be an oversight, twice a suspecious coincidence but three times (especially having been twice corrected) suggests actual malice aforethought.

By "demographics" I assume you referred to the surveys I have done with Jennifer Pegg. Understand that in this sphere we are a total partnership. Indeed, with an MA in Social Research, it might well be that Jennifer Pegg is the senior partner. Certainly, anything I have down in the survey field woul;d have been impossible without Jennifer Pegg, MA.

In case you have noticed, the articles were by Don Souden and Jennifer Pegg. She may be young, she may be (shudder!) a woman (sadly, sexism is still alive in the field), but she is already one of the more brilliant researchers in Ripperology. As Joe Chetcuti suggested on these boards recently, long after the rest of us are memory--blessed or otherwise--Jennifer Pegg will still be making her mark in Ripprerology and the world at large.

I am sorry, but I don't like to see my wonderful co-author slighted by anyone.

Don.

Comment

Hi Don

A good note of correction. Thanks, Don.

Chris
          Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
          https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
          Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Working...
          X