5Q: The Double Event: Debra Arif & Tom Wescott

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5Q: The Double Event: Debra Arif & Tom Wescott

In the future, I'll try to pair up individuals for a series of questions such as the ones presented to Debra & Tom...as well as ask individuals, always at gunpoint, to participate on one on ones.

Many thanks to the both of you for helping the Forums in this endeavor.

Debra Arif:

1....Which individual or individuals involved with the WM would you like to find
    out about to a greater degree, but because you live where you do you have less
    accessibility to files or data which would be of value to your work ?
    Probably at the top of my list for further archive research would be material relating to Drs. Bond and Hebbert and their forensic work,
    that is mainly to do with my interest in the torso murders I admit, and Hebbert's conclusions that four of the
    torso victims were definitely dismembered by the same skilled hunter/butcher's hand. Dr Bond's sometimes controversial
    opinions in the WM, including the Catherine Mylett case are also something I would like to research further.Being so far from London is frustrating when you spot something you really would like to look at in the online library catalogues, but thanks to the fantastic and very generous Rob Clack, who always asks me if there is anything I'd like him to look at or copy for me when he is visiting certain archives, I do get to see certain material
    I wouldn't otherwise do.

2.....Which area of the Case ( anything...it doesn't matter if its a suspect or
    whatever ) do you tend to steer clear of ( if any ) and gravitate towards more (
    again, if any ) ?
    I tend to steer clear of anything that involves any form of profiling!
    I gravitate more towards people research, either posted on the boards by other researchers or undertaking it myself. Some of the bit players are very interesting, especially the ones who wanted a bigger role like Bachert, Packer, Forbes Winslow and a few others who kept the sensation going while Jack was resting. I also like to read up and ponder on the attacks on women in Whitechapel pre-Jack..like who was Timothy Donovan's own 'Leather Apron' who attacked, and ripped the dress of a woman at 35 Dorset St in the summer of 1887 ?

.3....What is the one find ( over the last two years ) that you or someone else
    has come up with that has been the most beneficial or even most encouraging to
    you in your research ?

Definitely the most encouraging find over the last 2 years, for me personally would be Mike Covell's newspaper find saying that in 1892 someone at Scotland Yard believed the WM was now serving a 20 year sentence for blackmailing women, and How recognising it as relating to Legrand. I've had a keen interest in Legrand ever since Tom's Berner Street series of articles in Ripper Notes mentioned him and the information uncovered by Gerry Nixon. I know some people are cynical about Legrand as a suspect, even before most of the facts about him have even been published, but at the very least, the witness statements that followed any of Legrand's 'detective work' in Dutfield's Yard surely has to be disregarded for good now? That's my view anyway.

4.....Do you or do you not feel that the Ripper has been named in the
    literature...not necessarily as someone mentioned contemporaneously...but at
    some point in time ?

hmmm...yes, I think he has.

5. ....How much time do you estimate you spend per week researching on line ?
    How about in other ways,such as reading or re-reading materials ?

Online? Probably more than I should but not as much as I would like. It's addictive, like Mike said on another thread. The newspaper archives available now are fantastic and I feel no shame in using them. It's never as simple as just simple wordsearching when you get engrossed in a story, Whitechapel related or not. \
    Tom Wescott:

1....Which individual or individuals involved with the WM would you like to find out about to a greater degree, but because you live where you do you have less accessibility to files or data which would be of value to your work ?
    Charles Le Grand, the members of the IWEC and the WVC, and just about everyone else.

2.....Which area of the Case ( anything...it doesn't matter if its a suspect or whatever ) do you tend to steer clear of ( if any ) and gravitate towards more ( again, if any ) ?
    I steer clear of most suspects and probably the Kelly murder to a certain degree, because of all the drama. In fact, what first attracted me to the Berner Street murder is that it was completely ignored at the time and everyone was talking about Kelly and Miller's Court.

3....What is the one find ( over the last two years ) that you or someone else has come up with that has been the most beneficial or even most encouraging to you in your research ?
    This is twofold - first would be the wealth of information Debra Arif turned up on Le Grand which fleshed out his character and showed how truly bad he was. Following this was Mike Covell's discovery that he was, as I suspected, a true contemporary suspect.

4.....Do you or do you not feel that the Ripper has been named in the literature...not necessarily as someone mentioned contemporaneously...but at some point in time ?
    I think he probably has been.

5. ....How much time do you estimate you spend per week researching on line ? How about in other ways,such as reading or re-reading materials ?
    Just about zero these days because I do not have the internet at home and have been lazy about writing.

_________
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

I enjoyed reading this.Thanks Debra and Tom!

Comment

I enjoyed it as well Nats...and appreciate the time the two of them spent answering them.

Do others like this sort of format ? Two, rather than one, people being henpecked by me and my questions ?
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I like the idea of two "Ripperologists" answering the same pertinent questions on a specific subject

The relevance of the answers would obviously rely on the posing of the correct questions...

Comment

Thanks for the reply Nemo. I would have had to wait 50 years for a response from Deadbeat Tim Mosley or Sir Bob.

I'll conduct more of those with two people in the future.
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
          X