Forums Weekend Press Trawl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forums Weekend Press Trawl

Hopefully, unless other things pop up, I'll appear each Saturday with a list of articles on seldom, if ever, discussed individuals within the Case.

Inspired by SPE's request last week for information on Sgt. Nearn of the Met Police...this week will mark the first in the series....a few articles on Inspector Henry Cox's career as a City Inspector.

I'll place them in the Victorian London's Finest section...
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

10/24/2009

Since everyone is hanging around here waiting for updates on Big Jon's Big Adventure in The Big Smoke....I figgered I'd slip some Swanson articles up...in the police section of the Forums.
    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

10/31/2209

Today's search starts off with some facts about British general health...in the Victoriana section.

Interesting that of the (current) 5 largest British cities, London ranked fifth in percentage of death per 1,000.

Hull was even lower.
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

11/07/2009

In between converting attachments today, I'll begin a new thread on the case or references to Mr. Gave Me Real Fits from a decade past the Nov. 9th massacre in Millers Court.

Look for Ten Years After....on the JTR Archives thread.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

11/14/2009

In between converting attachments to Photobucket, I'll look for articles from this date in history...November 14th, 1888.....and put them on the boards.

By the way, I have converted over 300 Mb to trim the site's bandwidth use down by 75 percent.

I still have 109 Mb to go...
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

11/21/2009

96 Mb to go...

Today's Saturday Search will focus on police official Thomas Arnold,a Supt. of Met Police during the Autumn of Terror.
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

How the best way to convert the newspaper articles is to firstly open them into Photoshop

Once open hit the, Image tab, then Mode, then click on RGB. This makes a world of difference

Then hit the Filter tab, Sharpen, Unsharp Mask, play with the levels till you get a crisp image.

Then hit the Image tab, Adjustments, Brightness and Contrast, play with the levels again until you are happy.

Finally, hit the Image tab again, Image Size, change the width to 1000 pixels, make sure the Constrain Proportions box it ticked.

Then Save as a Jpeg, giving a quality level of 4.

This will get you a good quality copy and a small file to boot.

When you upload to photobucket, set your your Resize options to 800 x 600
              that way you will be able to post bigger articles that are easily readable.

Comment

Marky:

Thanks for that suggestion. I will use your methodology from now on.

When I say I am down to 96 Mb, I mean I am at the point where there are only 96Mb of attachments left to converton the Forums to Photobucket-ready converted attachments.

I wish I could just take the remaining 96 and toss them into Photobucket and let them convert automatically. The problem is, is that I must place those attachments in the right threads, which takes up a lot of time.

Let me put it this way. If I had 100 Mb left in increments of 200Kb...thats only 500 attachments left to do....or roughly 30 hours left to go.

However, what I have remaining is 96 Mb left of less than 100 Kb attachments and the overwhelming majority of them are in the 30-40 Kb range....totalling 2600 attachments or roughly 80 hours left. In this situation, the smaller ones are going to take almost 3 times as much time to convert as the big lumbering ones that SPE,A.P. and myself... and of course, others have put on the boards in the past.

I appreciate the assistance and thoughts buddy.
                To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi How,

I see where you are coming from.

What about doing it this way.

Right click each attachment and save to a desingnated folder you have made, rename the attachment as a shortened version of the thread title including the post number.

Then use this program to batch process the lot including resizing.

http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

You can even add a JTR watermark to every image at the same time, once you have set your prefereces the batch process takes seconds.

Then upload into Photobucket and simply replace the attachments using your descriptions as a quick guide.

Comment

I feel like a Canon-ical victim with all the photo attachments I have remaining Mark....your suggestion may just do the trick. I'm going to do that right now.

I'll let you know if it does the trick.

Again, I sincerely appreciate the advice. I've been doing this for well over 200 hours so far....and last night around 10 PM I schized out and started babbling in tongues. Nina had to tie the strap on my strait jacket a little tighter to get my ass in gear.

Thank you man.
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

11/28/2009

Today's search will be in reference to Albert Eubule Evans.

A.Eubule Evans, in case you're unaware, is quoted by The Star on November 15th, less than three full days after the deposition presented by George Hutchinson reached the police ears, that he had given a similar description of the man back in October.

Discussion on this issue/aspect most welcome on that thread to appear shortly.
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

12/05/2009

Today's Saturday Search starts off with a story found in the Pall Mall Gazette from 1888. Its entitled "Meal For A Farthing".

Look for it under New Posts.
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

12/12/2009

For today's Saturday Search, I'm going to put up more of the Parliamentary Papers instead of trawling newspapers.
                          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

12/19/2009

Today's Saturday Search.....had to get situated because of the impending snow storm we have on the horizon. In short, I had to find the snow shovel so whatshername could go out and get busy......will be on Private Eyes.
                            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

12/26/2009

I'm back on the hunt for material regarding the infamous "bogus degree" diploma mill run by John Buchanan for today's Saturday Search.

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....2457#post92457
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X