London Walk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Walk

I've been lumbered with the responsibility of planning a family East End walk this summer.

The participants will be a mixed group, consisting of people I've known all my life and others I've only recently become acquainted with online. Some of them are reasonably familiar with east London, others, coming from as far afield as L. A., are less so.

The theme of the walk is ostensibly family history, and that pretty much determines the general route, but I'd like to broaden it to include the history of the East End more widely (know what I mean?).

The family in question have links to:

Bethnal Green,
    Spitalfields,
    Whitechapel,
    St George in the East,
    Shadwell
    and Wapping.

More specifically, the following streets are of significance to the family's history:

Angel Alley
    Backchurch Lane
    Berner Street (school)
    Blue Anchor Yard
    Bluegate Fields (Dellow Street)
    Breezers Hill, Pennington Street
    Brick Lane
    Brook Street, Ratcliff
    Commercial Road (East End Maternity Hospital)
    Commercial Street (Christchurch)
    Cornwall Street
    Flower and Dean Street
    George Yard (Buildings)
    Hanbury Street
    Half Nichol Street
    Lavender Place, Pennington Street
    Little Collingwood Street
    London Street, Ratcliff
    Mary Ann Street
    Mayfield's Buildings (Shovel Alley)
    Old Gravel Lane
    Pinchin Street
    Raine Street
    Swedenborg Street
    Thrawl Street
    Wentworth Street

I'd like to start the walk at Liverpool Street Station and end up on the Wapping foreshore for a bit of mudlarking, thereafter retiring to The Town of Ramsgate for a noggin or two.

It's the specifics of the route that are bothering me. If it were entirely up to me, I'd somehow cover the whole lot, not giving a bugger about how long it took, how much doubling back was involved or how many times the boring modern day Highway had to be crossed, but I suspect that even the Brits in the group will be expecting something a bit more 'interesting'.

Suggestions for 'unmissable' (and photogenic) tourist highlights along the route would be greatly appreciated. (The JTR museum is an obvious shoo-in.)

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    I've been lumbered with the responsibility of planning a family East End walk this summer.

The participants will be a mixed group, consisting of people I've known all my life and others I've only recently become acquainted with online. Some of them are reasonably familiar with east London, others, coming from as far afield as L. A., are less so.

The theme of the walk is ostensibly family history, and that pretty much determines the general route, but I'd like to broaden it to include the history of the East End more widely (know what I mean?).

The family in question have links to:

Bethnal Green,
    Spitalfields,
    Whitechapel,
    St George in the East,
    Shadwell
    and Wapping.

More specifically, the following streets are of significance to the family's history:

Angel Alley
    Backchurch Lane
    Berner Street (school)
    Blue Anchor Yard
    Bluegate Fields (Dellow Street)
    Breezers Hill, Pennington Street
    Brick Lane
    Brook Street, Ratcliff
    Commercial Road (East End Maternity Hospital)
    Commercial Street (Christchurch)
    Cornwall Street
    Flower and Dean Street
    George Yard (Buildings)
    Hanbury Street
    Half Nichol Street
    Lavender Place, Pennington Street
    Little Collingwood Street
    London Street, Ratcliff
    Mary Ann Street
    Mayfield's Buildings (Shovel Alley)
    Old Gravel Lane
    Pinchin Street
    Raine Street
    Swedenborg Street
    Thrawl Street
    Wentworth Street

I'd like to start the walk at Liverpool Street Station and end up on the Wapping foreshore for a bit of mudlarking, thereafter retiring to The Town of Ramsgate for a noggin or two.

It's the specifics of the route that are bothering me. If it were entirely up to me, I'd somehow cover the whole lot, not giving a bugger about how long it took, how much doubling back was involved or how many times the boring modern day Highway had to be crossed, but I suspect that even the Brits in the group will be expecting something a bit more 'interesting'.

Suggestions for 'unmissable' (and photogenic) tourist highlights along the route would be greatly appreciated. (The JTR museum is an obvious shoo-in.)
    For 'lumbered' obviously read 'honoured'.

But it is tricky. What's the best route from Bishopsgate to Commercial Street if your ancestor was Christened in Christchurch, Spitalfields? Along Brushfield Street for the best view of the church, or via a more circuitous route - Artillery Lane/Passage, say - to give a flavour of the East End alleys and to bring you to Crispin Street and what once lay immediately beyond it?

Comment

Working...
    X