Help With An East End Photo * Sept. 2, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With An East End Photo * Sept. 2, 2018

Around 10 days or so ago, I found myself looking through an archive ( one of the search terms was 'Jack The Ripper' ) completely by accident....I had clicked on the wrong 'favorite' as I had been attempting to contact my phone company online...and a research source popped up instead. I hadn't been there for a while so I says to myself, I says, 'give it a look'. I browsed through it for a couple of minutes......

....this is what appeared in this pamphlet :

The pamphlet was published in 1918....the photo at least from 1917 or earlier
    Any ideas ?
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Well it could be Millers Court, it seems to coincide with published plans. The only thing that would confirm it would be identifying the large building above the roofline.

Comment

There is no chance in hell that the photo is of Millers Court. It doesn't relate to any Jack the Ripper murder. It's a bit of a puzzle.

Rob

Comment

I've been trying to find pictures of all the churches & synagogues in the East End, to try identify that tower in the background.
        No luck yet.
        Regards, Jon S.
        "
        The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
        " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
        Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.

Comment

Jon:

Thanks for trying.
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

If it is Millers Court the building in the background could only be Smithfield Market.

Comment

Not Smithfield, Spitalfields Market. Surely?

Comment

I'm pretty sure the 'court' isn't Millers Court and the building in the background isn't Spitalfields or Smithfield Market.

It does look vaguely familiar, though.

Comment

If people believe that it is Miller's Court they would need to explain why the court is wider than it should be. Why there is a Dwelling at the far end when it should be a dead wall. What the building I. The background is which would be on the site of Spitalfields Market and also why the buildings look nothing like those in Millers Court.

Finally if the photo was taken about 1917 then Millers Court was condemned so shouldn't have been habited.

Rob

Comment

Rob:

Do you recall the year Leonard Matters took photos of the demolition of Millers Court ?
                    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                      Rob:

Do you recall the year Leonard Matters took photos of the demolition of Millers Court ?
                      He didn't take the photo of the demolition which I believe was June 1928. He did take his two showing the front of Miller's Court around that time.

Rob

Comment

Thanks Rob.
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
                          If people believe that it is Miller's Court they would need to explain why the court is wider than it should be. Why there is a Dwelling at the far end when it should be a dead wall. What the building I. The background is which would be on the site of Spitalfields Market and also why the buildings look nothing like those in Millers Court.

Finally if the photo was taken about 1917 then Millers Court was condemned so shouldn't have been habited.

Rob
                          People? Plural?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                            People? Plural?
                            Yes plural.

Comment

Is it true that recruiting offices were closed in the East End?

Some of the most ruffianly inhabitants of Spitalfields joined up and fought in WWI. A great example was Isaac Bogard, Arthur Harding's arch-enemy, who served with distinction and was awarded the MM. I believe he also received a civilian decoration in WWII for bravery while an ARP (or something along those lines).

And what about Charles Lechmere's son (grandson?) who received a medal for blowing up a train in Russia.

There is a whiff of Jack Londonism about this article.

Comment

Working...
                              X