Help With An East End Photo * Sept. 2, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
    I’m currently in Edinburgh Airport, having spent the weekend going through a lot of Closes that weren’t closed at all
    Ones that looked like passages?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
      Originally posted by Kattrup
      having spent the weekend going through a lot of Closes that weren’t closed at all
      Ones that looked like passages?
      There are few things worse than a closed passage.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
      (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
        There are stripes on the background building that are similar to the St Pancras public baths and launderette at Camden. That also has tower type structures. Perhaps it's something similar to that.
        Yes, Debs, that's the sort of thing I had in mind.

Comment

There are stripes on the background building that are similar to the St Pancras public baths and launderette at Camden. That also has tower type structures. Perhaps it's something similar to that.
          I nearly thought I had it, the Guardian Angels Roman Catholic Church, Mile End.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Maidman Street 1953 LMA a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	558869

Rob

Comment

O

Any views on the attempt to disparage the suitability of East End men as cannon fodder?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
              I nearly thought I had it, the Guardian Angels Roman Catholic Church, Mile End.

[ATTACH]18797[/ATTACH]

Rob
              Close - but no cigar!

Comment

The spire looks close, Rob but I definitely see a striped building in the background with a tower and then a spire behind that, I looked up the architect who did the St Pancras public baths, Thomas W. Aldwinckle, to see if he had done anything closer to Spitalfields/Whitechapel as I see a similarity in the style of the brickwork, spire and tower and top window decorative lintels with arched inserts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	st pancras baths.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	558870

Comment

Stop Press: BBC London news are covering the Princess Alice disaster. Good old Aunty, always got her finger on the pulse!

Apologies for the diversion.

Comment

Stop Press: BBC London news are covering the Princess Alice disaster. Good old Aunty, always got her finger on the pulse!

Apologies for the diversion.
                    Just to add to the diversion and while you are here, Gary. Did you know that a bust of the fighter Tom Sayers appeared in a self portrait Sickert did?

Comment

Just to add to the diversion and while you are here, Gary. Did you know that a bust of the fighter Tom Sayers appeared in a self portrait Sickert did?
                      No, I didn't. Is it a clue? A reference to Jack McCarthy's upbringing perhaps????

Comment

No, I didn't. Is it a clue? A reference to Jack McCarthy's upbringing perhaps????
                        It must be

Comment

Working...
                        X