Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help locating information - Frances Ellen Booth

Hello all

I was recently contacted by someone on Ancestry who advised me that one of my relatives, Frances Ellen, was charged with murdering two of her children. She was aided by her second husband, John Booth.

I did a search of the British Newspaper Archive and found one article from the Northern Whig dated 28 Dec 1894 but am unable to access as I do not subscribe. Would someone with a sub please, please send it to me?

Some details about Frances:

b. 1865 as Frances Ellen Fox in Derbyshire, England.
    Married Edward Aldred and had 3 children. I think the murder charges relate to the two girls Margaret (1890-1891) and Gertrude (1888 - ?) Aldred. Their son died in WW1.

She was widowed (date of Edward's death unknown) and then married John Booth. They had at least two children - Mabel and Winifred.

If anyone can help with locating any information or provide me with some links to resources I would be most grateful.

Happy Christmas and New Year!

Thanks
    Tania

[email protected]

Hi Tania

From the Derbyshire Times Feb 27 1895. The Judge was Mr Justice Hawkins. The Grand Jury threw out the bill of indictment.
    Attached Files

Comment

Alcester chronicle 15 aug 1891
      Attached Files

Comment

There's a long article in the Derby Mercury Jan 2 1895, but perhaps someone with better pasting skills than me can post that.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
          Hi Tania

From the Derbyshire Times Feb 27 1895. The Judge was Mr Justice Hawkins. The Grand Jury threw out the bill of indictment.

Hi Robert

Thank you SO MUCH for these articles. Interesting that one of the articles mentions immorality. I wonder what that was about. Perhaps they were not legally married. I did find an acquittal notice for a Frances Ellen Booth for murder in 1891 (same year her daughter Margaret died) but wasn't sure if this was the same person as there were no details given. I wrote back to the person on Ancestry requesting more information but have not had a reply.

Again thank you very much for taking the time to find this information.

t

Comment

You're welcome, Tania.

Comment

Originally posted by Tania Edwards View Post
              Hi Robert

Thank you SO MUCH for these articles. Interesting that one of the articles mentions immorality. I wonder what that was about. Perhaps they were not legally married. I did find an acquittal notice for a Frances Ellen Booth for murder in 1891 (same year her daughter Margaret died) but wasn't sure if this was the same person as there were no details given. I wrote back to the person on Ancestry requesting more information but have not had a reply.

Again thank you very much for taking the time to find this information.

t
              Hi Tania

I did see 26 year old Frances Ellen Aldred was charged with the wilful murder of her daughter Margaret Aldred at Ilkeston on 18th June 1891. Frances was found not guilty and discharged on 20th July. Frances had jumped in to the Erewash canal with the child, with the intention of committing suicide but Frances was rescued and the child apparently drowned. The newspapers also reported that Frances charged her husband Edward Aldred with ill treating her and claiming she lived in fear of him. Edward disappeared but got a six month sentence and Frances was awarded a judicial separation from her husband with 10 shillings a week allowance and custody of the two surviving children.

Debs

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                Hi Tania

I did see 26 year old Frances Ellen Aldred was charged with the wilful murder of her daughter Margaret Aldred at Ilkeston on 18th June 1891. Frances was found not guilty and discharged on 20th July. Frances had jumped in to the Erewash canal with the child, with the intention of committing suicide but Frances was rescued and the child apparently drowned. The newspapers also reported that Frances charged her husband Edward Aldred with ill treating her and claiming she lived in fear of him. Edward disappeared but got a six month sentence and Frances was awarded a judicial separation from her husband with 10 shillings a week allowance and custody of the two surviving children.

Debs

Thank you very much for this information Debs. One of the articles kindly provided by Robert indicates that Frances and John Booth were charged with the murder of a child in 1894. From the text it appears that they were trying to decide if a newly born baby was alive or not when something seemed to have happened to the baby.

Curiouser and curiouser......

t

Comment

Tania, if you PM me your email I'll send you the January article.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                    Tania, if you PM me your email I'll send you the January article.

Thanks Robert. My email is at the bottom of my original post.

t

Comment

Working...
                    X